Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Career related to cars a buzzkill?

02-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #23
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I've thought about this a lot, and I think it depends on how you view work itself. If it is a means to an end, being money, lifestyle, cars, then stay the hell away from a car related career because you won't ever be able to say that you love your job and you don't feel like you're working - no matter what you do. And your car hobby will suffer for it. At least that's what I've learned.

I've had a few career changes and I definitely enjoyed some jobs more than others, but I'm in this camp that there is no such thing as a job I love because for me it is only a means to an end and is a necessary part of life to fund the things that I do enjoy doing with my life, as well as support my family.

On the other hand, if you are the type who is passionate about what they do (and as cynical as I am, those people do exist), then going into a car related career will not impact your car hobby in my opinion. I think it would actually strengthen it. But if you're a passionate worker, that'll translate into whatever you're doing, not just within the career you're in. Obviously, every job is different and there are exceptions to everything, but in general, I think it's your own personality that most impacts if you'll love a particular job or career more than anything. I just wish I could change mine to actually feel like what I do is rewarding, but that ship sailed a long time ago, and I'm content just knowing it's just who I am and how I view work.