Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
MSS height adjustable spring kit

Has anyone fitted the MSS height adjustable spring kit on their G20 M340iX? Keen to get some real world experiences of this spring kit.
TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
bigscore
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW G30 540i M Sport

I have them on my G30 540 and they're amazing!!

Very smooth over not-so-good roads and firm at the same time. Handles twisty roads and curves with ease and doesn't lose composure while doing so. Best of all the height is adjustable!

I had them installed over a year ago with zero problems.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigscore; 10-02-2022 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ikester192125.00
      10-03-2022, 08:55 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscore View Post
I have them on my G30 540 and they're amazing!!

Very smooth over not-so-good roads and firm at the same time. Handles twisty roads and curves with ease and doesn't lose composure while doing so. Best of all the height is adjustable!

I had them installed over a year ago with zero problems.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Ikester192125.00
      10-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #4
WernerKlopek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i

No experience in the G20, but if MSS can do with this car what they did with the MK7 Golf R I'm already sold. That car rode BETTER than stock with MSS springs. More than passed the wife test. They don't go super low, but they're so comfy. I wonder if they're as good on this platform.
Appreciate 1
Ikester192125.00
      11-03-2022, 08:41 PM   #5
MasterOfNone
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m340

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerKlopek View Post
No experience in the G20, but if MSS can do with this car what they did with the MK7 Golf R I'm already sold. That car rode BETTER than stock with MSS springs. More than passed the wife test. They don't go super low, but they're so comfy. I wonder if they're as good on this platform.
Looking at these vs the ohlins as well. For 1/3 of the price and great reviews it makes me wonder!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 12:02 PM   #6
peelo801
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xdrive

So I want to revive this thread as I just got these installed and wanted to report back. I have had these installed for two days now. And unfortunately, it looks like I do have the bad batch of springs referenced in the links below. I've attached the exact label on my box for reference.

My car is crashing and bottoming out over some uneven roads and these are not even necessarily pot holes, mind you. I also only chose to lower it by 20mm. Now, I'm not sure what to do in terms of getting some warranty for them from the manufacturer as I've read how terrible MSS can be to deal with. I took a chance even knowing the issues existed referenced in the link, one because this offered me exactly what I was looking for, which was a mild drop of less than inch, and secondly because it seemed only the g8x platform was having issues and couldn't find any with the g20, albeit being a very small sample size.

I'm accepting that I'm going to have to take the L with these and just see what I can get back. I paid a shop to install, so I'm definitely out that money at least. I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1947630

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1945116
Attached Images

Last edited by peelo801; 06-01-2023 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 06:20 PM   #7
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M440i G26

peelo801 I am having the exact same issue, I got in touch with MSS and this is what I was told…

“Thank you for your email.

The solution for the noise at this stage is to use the V1 front springs that will give him the lowering he is and also remove the noise. If you can complete the warranty form and send it back to me I will send you replacement front springs.”

So they did send me new front springs with part number 185-1 instead of 185-2. I haven’t had the chance to install them yet to see if that can help, but yes it bottoms out pretty bad. Also this is what my installer told the MSS tech…

“Hey Guys,

Hope all is well! My name is Blank with Good Speed Performance and I have a customer with a 2023 BMW M440i xDrive Gran Coupe that we have installed mss02bBMWG8x purchased through Extreme Power House. We are currently running into a clunking/spring rate issue after lowering the vehicle. To have better understanding, we adjusted as much as we could to find the sweet spot and have discovered two things. When it is too lowered in the front, the spring is too soft and travels too much. To avoid the issue, we raised the height which somehow increased the clunking sound. We suspect that because we're not touching all the threads, there's a play causing the noise. I'd like to hear your thoughts on whether you guys have experienced this and if so, what are the solutions?”

Let me know if that is same issue you are havin
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2023, 10:06 PM   #8
peelo801
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic94 View Post
peelo801 I am having the exact same issue, I got in touch with MSS and this is what I was told…

“Thank you for your email.

The solution for the noise at this stage is to use the V1 front springs that will give him the lowering he is and also remove the noise. If you can complete the warranty form and send it back to me I will send you replacement front springs.”

So they did send me new front springs with part number 185-1 instead of 185-2. I haven’t had the chance to install them yet to see if that can help, but yes it bottoms out pretty bad. Also this is what my installer told the MSS tech…

“Hey Guys,

Hope all is well! My name is Blank with Good Speed Performance and I have a customer with a 2023 BMW M440i xDrive Gran Coupe that we have installed mss02bBMWG8x purchased through Extreme Power House. We are currently running into a clunking/spring rate issue after lowering the vehicle. To have better understanding, we adjusted as much as we could to find the sweet spot and have discovered two things. When it is too lowered in the front, the spring is too soft and travels too much. To avoid the issue, we raised the height which somehow increased the clunking sound. We suspect that because we're not touching all the threads, there's a play causing the noise. I'd like to hear your thoughts on whether you guys have experienced this and if so, what are the solutions?”

Let me know if that is same issue you are havin
I've only adjusted the height once. The first time, the rear was dialed in just as I expected. Then I found that there was too much of a positive rake because the fronts sat noticeably lower than the rear after taking it home.

The ride quality was nothing like I expected it based on what I read and saw from reviews. It felt floaty and bouncier than stock, resulting in me being able to feel more undulation and rough surfaces on the road. On top of that, the rougher and uneven surfaces causes a jarring thud on the front suspension, which now gives me anxiety driving it because we don't have the smoothest roads in my area.

So I had my fears already about this being the dreaded issue that others had experienced and it nearly confirmed it. But I thought maybe adjusting the fronts will alleviate it enough that I don't have to worry about it. Because it really was sitting much lower than I wanted. I specifically told my installer I only wanted a mild drop of 20mm or 3/4 of an inch but it sat much lower than that after driving it home 20 miles from where it got installed.

I took it back and he adjusted it almost half an inch to match the rear. But I took it home and drove it around the same areas I first noticed the issues and unfortunately they still persist.

I purchased mine from extreme power house too, and I've proceeded to file a warranty claim with them already.

Now I feel stuck because I don't want to drive my car and exact more stress on the dampers. But at the same time, I've read so many issues about how fast MSS responds that I don't have much faith in this issue being resolved. So I either take the loss of nearly 2 grand I spent on these springs and cost of install and move forward with another set of springs or coilovers and pay again to install it, or I wait it out for MSS to respond for a resolution. And from the looks of it, their solution seems to be to send V1 springs for the front.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 12:09 AM   #9
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep

I’m going to probably get the V1s for front installed within the next week or two. I will definitely let you know if that fixes the issue or not.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2023, 12:16 AM   #10
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peelo801 View Post
So I want to revive this thread as I just got these installed and wanted to report back. I have had these installed for two days now. And unfortunately, it looks like I do have the bad batch of springs referenced in the links below. I've attached the exact label on my box for reference.

My car is crashing and bottoming out over some uneven roads and these are not even necessarily pot holes, mind you. I also only chose to lower it by 20mm. Now, I'm not sure what to do in terms of getting some warranty for them from the manufacturer as I've read how terrible MSS can be to deal with. I took a chance even knowing the issues existed referenced in the link, one because this offered me exactly what I was looking for, which was a mild drop of less than inch, and secondly because it seemed only the g8x platform was having issues and couldn't find any with the g20, albeit being a very small sample size.

I'm accepting that I'm going to have to take the L with these and just see what I can get back. I paid a shop to install, so I'm definitely out that money at least. I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1947630

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1945116
Why not install dinan springs and bump stops if looking for the least aggressive drop? And known to be of quality?
      06-02-2023, 01:52 AM   #11
peelo801
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Why not install dinan springs and bump stops if looking for the least aggressive drop? And known to be of quality?
Dinan was actually the second option I considered after coilovers. But I wanted an even milder drop of 3/4 of an inch. Unfortunately, the minimum drop allowed by any springs or coilovers available for our cars was an inch. Then, I discovered the MSS height adjustable springs that allowed for minimal lowering, even as high as stock height. So this is why I thought it was the best option for the ride height I wanted, and for the functional purposes of this being a daily driver with occasional spirited canyon carving and the rare track day or two.

I personally prefer coilovers having had great experience with them from my previous cars, so I was disappointed that none of the ones available for our cars offered a minimal drop less than an inch. I created a thread asking about this too. I then learned about the Bilstein Evo S which supposedly allows for a minimum drop of 20mm, but only after I purchased the MSS Springs already.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 08:29 PM   #12
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep

So I just want to give an update as I finally had the time to take it back to my installer and get the fronts (PN 185-1) installed. Ans as soon as I came back to pick car up, they told me no clunking noise whatsoever. My ride home from that shop is like 40 mins and like they said it is nothing like before, soooo much better. My recommendation to you peelo801, if you haven’t already, contact MSS to get the version one front springs.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 12:51 AM   #13
peelo801
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I just want to give an update as I finally had the time to take it back to my installer and get the fronts (PN 185-1) installed. Ans as soon as I came back to pick car up, they told me no clunking noise whatsoever. My ride home from that shop is like 40 mins and like they said it is nothing like before, soooo much better. My recommendation to you peelo801, if you haven’t already, contact MSS to get the version one front springs.

I'm right there with you. MSS also sent me the 185-1 springs. Unfortunately, though, they're making clunking noises in the front. The shop that installed it took another look at it, and even retorqued everything, but they couldn't make it go away. Their conclusion is the springs are the culprit.

At this point, I'm just done with MSS. I also didn't have the most pleasant experience through my email correspondence with them to address the replacement springs. I can even post the screenshot whereby David put the blame on me for going with the Extra Sports Kit (ala 2b with 185-2 springs) instead of the 2a kit. He also said to expect my replacement springs by the end of that week we were corresponding by email. When it didn't arrive by the end of that week, I waited until Tuesday the following week to follow up and ask for a tracking number, where I also commented that I was disappointed that the springs hadn't yet arrived. His response? He said no indication was given that it would have arrived the week prior, even though he clearly stated that it "should arrive by the end of the week" in a previous email.

I have never had such an abysmal experience with a company that was due to both service and the quality of their product. I'm glad to know you seem content with them. But I've decided I'm just going to accept my losses with this and go with Bilstein Evo S coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 09:09 AM   #14
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep

So, forget what I said before; after having the whole weekend to drive it clunks every time there are imperfections in the road. Just sounds like car is falling apart, my only theory for what it could be is that damn adjustment collar. Hence why sound isn’t as bad when you lower all the way, but I had to leave some clearance room as I am shipping my car overseas soon. And the sound is just terrible, my wife said it sounds like something is loose in the car. I am definitely going to ask for a refund because the version one springs up front is not a fix at all.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2023, 10:05 AM   #15
peelo801
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, forget what I said before; after having the whole weekend to drive it clunks every time there are imperfections in the road. Just sounds like car is falling apart, my only theory for what it could be is that damn adjustment collar. Hence why sound isn’t as bad when you lower all the way, but I had to leave some clearance room as I am shipping my car overseas soon. And the sound is just terrible, my wife said it sounds like something is loose in the car. I am definitely going to ask for a refund because the version one springs up front is not a fix at all.
Yeah matter of fact, I'm now noticing sounds in the rear. Let me know if you're able to get a refund cause I definitely would like one too.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 12:16 PM   #16
poweredge
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Touring - G20 - M-sport

a short message of thanks only - thanks for the updates on MSS - i was about to order a set for my newly opted 330e but after reading i will think twice about it ... now looking for an alternative to dimish the ride height a bit to give it a better stance..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 06:45 PM   #17
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredge View Post
a short message of thanks only - thanks for the updates on MSS - i was about to order a set for my newly opted 330e but after reading i will think twice about it ... now looking for an alternative to dimish the ride height a bit to give it a better stance..
So I ended up going with AC SCHNITZER, it’s a modest drop of an inch, front and rear for my M440ix GC. And I must say, not only is the ride soooo much better than the MSS Springs I had but the handling is also better. Granted, the drop is modest so not going to beat the stance I previously had but the clunking wasn’t worth the look. Whenever Ohlins finally get back in stock, I’ll get those, but until then the ACs are definitely springs I would recommend.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2023, 01:41 PM   #18
poweredge
Rep

Quote:
So I ended up going with AC SCHNITZER, it’s a modest drop of an inch, front and rear for my M440ix GC. And I must say, not only is the ride soooo much better than the MSS Springs I had but the handling is also better. Granted, the drop is modest so not going to beat the stance I previously had but the clunking wasn’t worth the look. Whenever Ohlins finally get back in stock, I’ll get those, but until then the ACs are definitely springs I would recommend.
so thats interesting as i was looking for ACS's springs - i want to keep the adaptive M shocks on the 330E...which springs did you mounted? do you have a typo number? (its an 440i i know - but still)

edit: hows the comfort compared btw to what you have stockwise? better/worse?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 06:27 AM   #19
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredge View Post
so thats interesting as i was looking for ACS's springs - i want to keep the adaptive M shocks on the 330E...which springs did you mounted? do you have a typo number? (its an 440i i know - but still)

edit: hows the comfort compared btw to what you have stockwise? better/worse?
The part # for your model should be 3130320340. See if you can order it from Lorcan, though, as he should be able to hook you up and answer any questions you need. I was in a rush because I had to ship my car overseas, and they were able to order it on a Friday, and I received it Monday and got it installed before shipping.

As for ride quality, after months with those MSS Springs on, it feels like a dream just because the MSS was that bad for my model car. It is hard to compare to stock because I was only stock for a week, which was back in January, but compared to my previous stock M340i that I owned for three years, it feels similar. It’s not bouncy at all, absorbs the bumps very well, and it handles great.
Appreciate 3
Lorcan3610.00
      07-24-2023, 08:51 AM   #20
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

There is a dealer in Netherlands already, but let me know if you get stuck and we'll sort something out for you

AC Schnitzer Nederland by De Maassche Echt
Bellweg 3
6101 XA Echt
Tel. +310475386260
E-Mail: BMertens@demaasschebmw.nl
www.ac-schnitzer.nl/
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2023, 01:45 PM   #21
poweredge
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
There is a dealer in Netherlands already, but let me know if you get stuck and we'll sort something out for you

AC Schnitzer Nederland by De Maassche Echt
Bellweg 3
6101 XA Echt
Tel. +310475386260
E-Mail: BMertens@demaasschebmw.nl
www.ac-schnitzer.nl/
thanks - yes i already found them and called them in the meanwhile. THeir info was usefull and they can fit/set it up on my car if id want to. Still unsure wether i want to do this due to the ride comfort....
Appreciate 0