Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics How to clean iDrive buttons

04-15-2024, 03:23 PM   #1
Radhaz75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i xDrive

How to clean iDrive buttons

I bought my 2019 330i used 3 years ago. From day 1, the Sport/Comfort/Eco Pro buttons have suck like the previous owner spilled something in there. While the driving modes will change, most days the buttons will not actually depress and click like the TSC and PDC buttons above. On more humid days, I can press them once and they generally unstick for that drive and push and click normally with a bit of a sticky feeling. But by the next drive they are restuck.

From everything I've read, these buttons are indeed an actual manual click as opposed to the ones around the iDrive controller which are a haptic click.

So I was wondering what kinds of products would be likely to be safe to spray into there to attempt to clean up the stickiness (and might have a chance of actually dissolving it), CRC contact cleaner? Brake clean? holding a can of compressed air upside down and squirting it? something else?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 03:12 PM   #2
Merlins Monte
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xDrive

I believe that whole unit will pop right out from videos of people replacing the furnish. From there, I'd imagine any type of electronic cleaner will do and make sure its not only dry but clicks once it is cleaned.

I will try to find some videos.
Appreciate 0