Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Steering wheel gets stuck and car jerks on freeway

08-09-2023, 12:29 PM   #1
alexj6776
Rep
Drives: 2022 Bmw M340i

Steering wheel gets stuck and car jerks on freeway

Hello, I notice this problem mostly on the freeway. It feels like my steering wheel gets stuck when I'm wiggling it around left and right. Sometimes when I want to change lanes and I bring my steering wheel to an angle I need to apply a little more pressure to get that that **stuck** point. Also randomly my car will sway to the left or right randomly very slightly. I don't know if sway is the right word for it or not. But I had my car taken to the dealer recently and got new brake pads new brake discs and had everything checked out but they could not identify the problem for the steering. I was thinking of upgrading my sway bars and ball joints but I have no clue if that would change or fix anything since the dealer said everything's okay.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 01:19 PM   #2
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Why do you wiggle your steering wheel left and right?

When you change lanes are you signaling? Your lane keeping assist is likely activating.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 01:33 PM   #3
alexj6776
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Why do you wiggle your steering wheel left and right?

When you change lanes are you signaling? Your lane keeping assist is likely activating.
My safety features are completely off. Its not that.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 01:47 PM   #4
TorBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330ix

Hey, take a look at my response in this thread: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029312

It seems multiple people are suddenly running into this issue this year, and affecting all model years. For example I have a 2020 330i, and you seem to have a 2022 M340i.

The shop foreman at my dealer reproduced the issue in my car, and will be looking into it next week.

I don't want to speculate on any cause, but it is strange that all of a sudden this year cars of various mileage, model years, and even different steering racks (330i and m340i have different steering racks) are complaining of the same issue.

Possibly Software...?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 01:53 PM   #5
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340ix

The steering wheel sticking is not normal, I don't know what it could be, the swaying could be your tires or the surface your driving on, just some thoughts
      08-09-2023, 02:48 PM   #6
TorBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've taken the liberty of scouring the forum and centralizing all reports of this issue into a single document.

There are a lot of reports. Enough that I think it warrants further investigation from BMW and a TSB/SIB issued for it. Hopefully something that the service department can drive. I'll definitely be sharing this document when I bring the car in next week.

Seems a few users have had success with either a Steering Column or Steering Rack replacement.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 02:57 PM   #7
alexj6776
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorBimmer View Post
I've taken the liberty of scouring the forum and centralizing all reports of this issue into a single document.

There are a lot of reports. Enough that I think it warrants further investigation from BMW and a TSB/SIB issued for it. Hopefully something that the service department can drive. I'll definitely be sharing this document when I bring the car in next week.

Seems a few users have had success with either a Steering Column or Steering Rack replacement.
Problem is I took my car in right before my warranty expired at 49k miles and they couldn't identify the problem but on the invoice it shows I asked about it. My warranty is gone now me being at 51k miles but since this is the issue and now that ive noticed it does only happen when the car is warm thats why they couldnt replicate it on these 2-4 minute drives do I have to just buy a new steering column or can i go back to the dealer and see if they can help me out?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 03:47 PM   #8
Andyecon
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340xi

I wonder if this is related to the pop/clunk that many of us are getting that seems to be EPS related. Maybe this has been a problem for a long time and some people didn’t notice it, but eventually it is causing more serious failures in the steering.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 04:10 PM   #9
TorBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexj6776 View Post
Problem is I took my car in right before my warranty expired at 49k miles and they couldn't identify the problem but on the invoice it shows I asked about it. My warranty is gone now me being at 51k miles but since this is the issue and now that ive noticed it does only happen when the car is warm thats why they couldnt replicate it on these 2-4 minute drives do I have to just buy a new steering column or can i go back to the dealer and see if they can help me out?
I specifically went on a 25min highway drive with the Shop Foreman on a 30degree Celsius day to reproduce the issue.

I would definitely take your car back to the dealer and try to address it through warranty (a steering rack is expensive!) - you have the complaint on record before warranty expired. If your dealer is any good, they should help you out.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 04:13 PM   #10
TorBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyecon View Post
I wonder if this is related to the pop/clunk that many of us are getting that seems to be EPS related. Maybe this has been a problem for a long time and some people didn’t notice it, but eventually it is causing more serious failures in the steering.
I do wonder about that myself. But I don't hear any pops/clunks on my car, and I have some pretty sensitive ears.

Would love to get to a root cause, but probably something only the BMW engineers will know
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 09:57 AM   #11
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

I just drove my 21 M440iX with 33k miles on a 300 mile interstate highway drive and experienced an intermittent notch or dead spot when moving the wheel off center at 70-80 mph. Like going into a sweeping gentle curve moving the wheel had like a momentary dead spot then was fine. After stopping 3 hours into the trip it was normal again. Making return trip tomorrow then call dealer Monday morning,
Appreciate 0