Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions MY FIRST 3 series!! 2021 BMW 330i - Portimao Blue - Executive Package

04-28-2021, 11:34 PM   #1
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

MY FIRST 3 series!! 2021 BMW 330i - Portimao Blue - Executive Package

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
MY FIRST 3 SERIES! (G20)
Hi All!
I wanted to take this time to share my story and experience of owning a BMW 3 series for the first time! I hope that this thread can be informative to both current and future G20 owners!

In this thread I will include:
1. A personal review/reason as to why I chose the G20 330i,
2. What packages/content I got and why I chose them,
3. A few pictures of my 330i (both before and after it was ceramic coated w/ G-Techniq),
4. Changes I’ve made to my 330i via CODING

Disclaimers/Notes:
1. The package breakdown will be based on BMW – North America’s Packaging and Pricing
2. The content in this post is based entirely on my personal review.
3. I do encourage personal feedback and constructive criticism, but I ask to please limit/omit any negative comments or post

4. My 330i is a Boy and his full name is Hrag Alyjandro Cha
• First Name: HRAG (pronounced Ha-rAWg)
• Middle Name: ALYJANDRO (a different spelling of the common name “Alejandro”)
• Last Name: Cha (my last name)

So with all that being said, lets go ahead and get started!

1. A personal review/reason as to why I chose the G20 330i:

• My Previous vehicles were as followed: 2012 Mini Cooper, 2015 BMW X1 (E84), and a 2018 BMW X1 (F48).

• The BMW E84 was my first BMW to ever own and was based on the E90 3 series platform! That car drove and handled like a champ and met the standards and expectations that you would expect from a BMW (i.e., performance, handling, etc.)

• The BMW F48 was my second BMW and the last car I had until I got my G20. For those of you who may not know this, the F48 BMW X1 is based on the Mini Cooper Countryman platform/chassis – This explains the FWD layout and the mechanical shifter on the 2016-2019 models. This car, in my honest opinion, is not a true BMW and I personally thought this vehicle was “mediocre” at best. It just did not live up to the performance and handling expectations I had experienced in my previous BMW. While I was (and still am) grateful for the fact that I was able to drive and own a BMW, I just knew that I was ready for a different vehicle. Not to mention that there wasn’t a significant change in the Pre-LCI and current LCI version of the F48 X1 that further enhanced my decision to move to a different vehicle.

• I looked into the BMW G20 3 series as it was a car that I can comfortably afford, and I liked the design of the vehicle (both inside and out)! I also liked that the G20 was up to par with the other BMWs, for example the use of iDrive 7 (Live Cockpit Pro) – something that is still currently unavailable in the 2021 BMW X1 (F48). I also felt that the G20 lived up to the expectations of having a BMW as I was overly impressed by how much power the car had and how well it handled! After driving and investigating the G20, I later confirmed my choice as having the G20 330i as my next choice of vehicle!

• Now many people have asked me “Why didn’t you get the M340i?”. I knew that with the packages and content that I wanted in my 3, which is listed below, that I would not be able to comfortably afford an M340i. I would rather be happier with a 330i that had everything I wanted versus sacrificing having an M340i with less equipment on it. Not only that but I felt like the 330i had more than enough power for me, which again, was a significant upgrade over my previous F48 X1!

2. What packages/content I got and why I chose them:
Name:  IMG_7736 (2).jpg
Views: 2491
Size:  157.7 KB

• Driving Assistance Package ($700):
NOTE: **This package was a requirement to get the Executive Package.

- The Driving Assistance Package is nice as it includes some very useful driver assistance technology that were absent in all my previous vehicles. I find that the blind spot and speed limit info to be the most useful and most used in my personal experience.

- Lane Departure Warning with Steering Intervention is a setting that people either have a love or hate relationship with. I personally have this set on Reduced with the ‘Steering Intervention’ setting switched on. I found that at the Medium setting the car was too sensitive and would vibrate and intervene when there was no need to. Additionally, the steering intervention can be quite jarring – for instance when moving more towards the left when a cyclist is riding a bike on the side of the road and the car corrects by moving you back towards the center and getting dangerously close to the cyclist. I’ve found that LDW in reduced mode with steering intervention to be the perfect blend. I also believe that the reduced mode also causes the steering intervention to be reduced as well?

- Frontal Collision Warning (incl. Pedestrian warning) is switched on by default and I have the setting set to warn me at the earliest time. Unlike other BMWs that I have driven, the collision warning system on my 330i is consistent about 95% of the time, with a picture of a red car popping up on BOTH displays when I am getting too close to the car in front of me. Additionally, the car sometimes mistakes parked cars as a potential threat when driving in the lane closest to them as I have seen on multiple occasions the system going off. When the frontal collision warning system goes off a unique, high-pitched noise can be heard while the instrument cluster turns red while also displaying a picture of a car.
NOTE: I’ve have yet to see the Pedestrian Warning system go off, but I would like to think that it is active and it works!

• M-Sport Package ($3,800):
- The main reason I wanted the M-Sport Package is for the inclusion of front LED fog lights! Currently in North America, the only G20 3 series that can get LED fog lights is the 330i with the M-Sport package. This is also partially the reason why I went for a 330i instead of a M340i. I always use my fog lights at night and I like the extra lighting they provide, as well as, the cosmetic appearance on the exterior of the vehicle. Additionally, I like how the fog lights force the Low Beam Lights to come on, while also allowing the adaptive and cornering features of the lights to remain active. Some of you may or may not notice but driving with the Low Beams On, while NOT in Automatic Mode, will deactivate the adaptive and cornering features of the headlamps. Again – to me the Fog Lights were something that I really wanted and thus is the primary reason I got the M-Sport Package. If the Fog Lights were available in the Sport Line Trim (like it is for the 3 series in different countries) then I may have thought hard as to whether I wanted the M-Sport Package or not.

- The other main reason I got the M-Sport package was to be able to have my car in the Portimao Blue Metallic color! Blue is my favorite color and my previous X1’s had the Midnight Blue and Estoril Blue Metallic colors, respectively. I would have been open to Tanzanite Blue or Phytonic Blue if they were available without having to go down the individual route. Additionally, I have also noticed that the Portimao Blue with a Ceramic Coating bears some resemblance to Estoril Blue when viewed under certain conditions.

- I also think the black trim components that is included with the M-Sport package compliments the 3 series and Portimao Blue nicely.

- Lastly, I think that the thicker ‘M’ steering wheel is a nice upgrade over the steering wheel in the base, Sport Line Trim!

• Parking Assistance Package ($700):

- The main reason I wanted this package was to use the Surround View w/ 3D view to significantly minimize the likelihood of scraping a wheel when parked. In my personal experience, I have found that BMW wheels (specifically M-Sport wheels) are quite easy to scrape/scuff and this alone is the primary reason I wanted this package. While I still mainly use the ‘Tilt-down’ features of the side view mirrors when parking, it is nice to have the cameras as a second viewpoint to, again, minimize the chances of scraping a wheel.

- The Parking Assistant is nice feature and is something I had on my previous X1, though I still do not 100% trust it and I have found myself in many instances of choosing to parallel park my car myself. I do, however, think the parking accuracy and efficiency on the G20 is better as the system can also utilize the side and top view cameras to assist it with parking – something my old X1 could not do.

- The Back-Up Assistant is a nice and cool feature, but I find myself using this even less than the Parking Assistant. I do, however, see how this feature can be quite handy for those who park in tight garages or parking spaces.

- The Active Park Distance Control (PDC) with Emergency Braking Intervention is a feature I really hate (with a passion). The sensitivity of the system varies widely but in my own personal experience, I have found the car to consistently brake in situations that were uncalled for. However, the most annoying, yet SCARIEST thing about this feature is how abruptly it brakes. In my own experience, the system always slams on the brakes as opposed to doing it more subtle like. I have found myself in situations where the car slams on the brakes to stop a collision only to realize that I was not in any immediate danger of hitting someone or something. I always get scared and I immediately start thinking that I hit something… only to find out that the system went off prematurely. I find the rear camera and the sensors to be more than adequate for me when reversing and thus I have this active braking feature deactivated.

- Lastly the Front View Camera is a nice feature that is included with this package, but I do have my small list critiques. For one I wish there were a setting to adjust the speed at which the camera can be turned on and the speed at which it shuts off. There are times I find myself wanting to use the feature only for it to not be available due to the speed at which the vehicle is traveling at. To me, it would be helpful to use this feature at a speed that is a tad bit faster than a crawling speed. I also want to point out that I tend to find myself having to take my eyes off the road to find the appropriate button to press. One time, while traveling slow with no one around, I accidently pressed the On/Off switch and my car shifted itself into park and the engine turned off. This was a scary moment for me and I knew that it wasn’t good for the car to do this, thus I tend to have to take a quick glance to ensure I press the correct button… only to get frustrated that the system cannot be activated while traveling above a certain speed.

- Overall, I think this package is a good package to have and I think the number of features that you get for the price of 700$ is a steal! I think this package pays for itself when it helps to avoid low speed collisions and reducing the possibility of damaging the wheels and/or body panels of the vehicle!

• Executive Package ($3,500):

- I’m not going to lie, but the ONLY reason why I got this package was for the Icon Adaptive Laser LED Headlights. I really think the design and performance of the Laser Lights really sets them apart the base and adaptive LED headlights. For starters, the Laser Lights have four functional headlamps (two on each side) in comparison to the other two that only have two functional headlamps (one on each side) with a fake “dummy” bulb in the inner housing. While I’m not entirely sure of how much additional lighting the laser lights provide over the other two when using just the low beams, I can say that the laser lights, when used with the Auto High Beams, really does increase brightness by increasing the width and length of visible light down the road! I also find amusement watching the light beams move as I drive through a windy canyon at night! Additionally, I find that the blue housing design of the Laser Lights compliments the G20 nicely when outfitted with a blue paintjob! The last thing I wanted to point out is how rare the Laser Lights are! While the Executive Package seems to be more commonly seen on M340i models, it is still a rare sight on the 3’s, especially the 330i’s.

The only drawback I have is the inconsistent use of the Auto High Beams, specifically when traveling at low speeds in residential neighborhoods. I have found many consistent instances where the high beams were activated and then deactivated in situations that were uncalled for. For Example – When driving down the street to the next stop sign, the high beams may turn on… only to be turned off when decreasing speed as you approach the next stop sign. This is particularly annoying as the system has unintentionally high beamed people walking the streets or in their car and it draws unnecessary attention to myself as people wonder “why is this guy flashing his high beams at me?”. Sometimes I think that because the Laser Lights are so bright that their reflection off of street signs may “trick” the system into thinking an oncoming vehicle is approaching. Regardless, I think the system is useful but unintentional flashing of the high beams may become a reoccurring problem.

- Gesture Control is a cool feature that I use on the daily. I’m an individual that typically talks using my hands, and while I initially thought that I would be annoyed with the system by accidently triggering it when talking with my hands, I’m proud to note that the system is not as sensitive as I thought. I guess after having so much practice with the system that I know to avoid the sweet spot that the system uses to recognize gestures. Using gesture control for turning up the volume, skipping/repeating soundtracks, and answering/declining phone calls are just some examples of my use with the system. I tend to use the gesture for volume control more frequently when I have large water bottles or drinks in the cup holders as their size tends to inhibit access to the control knob. I’ve also set the ‘hand fist hand’ gesture to take me home and it I find it to be more convenient than using voice command or digging through the navigation menu. In short, Gesture Control is a nice feature to have, and it can be quite useful daily with enough practice. It is, however, a feature that I can live simply fine without.

- The Head-Up Display is one of the must have features that I wanted on my 330i, and it is something that is available in the lower tier Premium Package. Again, the only real reason to get the Executive Package is to get the Laser Lights. The price difference between the Premium and Executive Package is about 1,200$, which is equivalent to the price of most Lighting Packages that BMW has/had offered on different models.

• Remote Engine Start ($300):

- Remote Engine Start is a useful feature that I use on the daily. I am the type of person who likes to let my car warm up if a significant amount of time has passed between usage. I typically drive off once the tachometer rests below 1,000 RPM and the remote start feature shortens the amount of time I spend waiting for my engine to warm up before I drive off. Additionally, I’ve also noticed that the climate control will resume to its last known setting, regardless of if it was on or not. This can be a slight inconvenience, for example, if you remote start your car after it has been sitting in the sun all day and it turns on the heater (84 degrees).

- Remote Start also works nicely with the “Rules for Climate Control” function, where you can automatically set the heated seats and steering wheel to turn on once the temperature drops below a certain point.
NOTE: This is assuming your vehicle is properly equipped with the correct equipment

• Power Tailgate ($250):

- I got this feature with the “cuzz why not?” mindset.

- The only benefit I really see from this option is the ability to lock your car from the trunk and the convenience of opening the tailgate with your foot. The ability to close the trunk by pressing a button is also a benefit but this option is essentially one I can live without.

- The insulting part is that I feel that this feature should be included with the “Comfort Access Keyless Entry” option as it makes sense that opening the tailgate with your foot offers more convenience. What I find ironically funny is that a power tailgate was standard on my F48 X1 and comfort access was an upgrade option! Haha

• Wireless Charging (incl. Wifi Hotspot) ($500):

- The main reason I wanted wireless charging was to avoid the use of having and using multiple charging cables. I use an old iPhone 4s as a music device and I play that with the use of an USB cable. It was incredibly annoying in my old F48 X1 that the only way to listen to music AND charge my phone was to run a charging cable from the rear of the center console to the front. Luckily, I can avoid that problem with this option, and it also frees up my interior from multiple chargers.

- I also like how the size off the wireless charger pad can accommodate different device sizes! It is nice that my phone can charge without having to take off my phone case (which is complicated to do). I have a friend that just got a 2020 Mini Countryman and the only way to use the wireless charger is to take off my phone case, which is something that I would quickly lose interest in doing.

- This option also includes a Wi-Fi hotspot and it is actually something I use on the daily. When I got my car, they had a promotion where I can pay 20$/month instead of 25$/month for unlimited GB Wireless Internet in my car. I, again, subscribed to this with a “cuzz why not?” mind set, and the internet has always been fast and reliable in my experience.

- The only drawback I have for this option is that the charging time to charge my phone is incredibly slow and it does make my phone hot. I have read on other forums that it is faster to use a USB-C charging cable and it avoids making your phone heat up. I keep an extra cable in my car’s glovebox just in case, but I will continue to use my wireless charger pad because, again, I like the look of not having so many cables in my car!

• Black Kidney Grilles ($260):

- I know what you might be thinking… “Why didn’t you get the Shadowline Package? For 40$ more you could have gotten the black kidney grilles, in addition to extra black trim around the vehicle”. The only reason I did not get the shadowline package was because I do not like the look of the black mirror caps and did not want them on my 330i. I do, however, wished that my exhaust tips were black.

- The Black Kidney Grille is a small, but noticeable upgrade over the stock grille when equipped with the M-Sport Package and I was content with it.

3. Pictures of my 330i (both before and after it was Ceramic Coated w/ G-Techniq)

* Before Ceramic Coating:

Name:  HUFC2442 (1).jpg
Views: 2508
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7424 (2).jpg
Views: 2516
Size:  350.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7423 (2).jpg
Views: 2460
Size:  404.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7922.jpg
Views: 2538
Size:  326.7 KB

* After Ceramic Coating:

Name:  IMG_6148 (1).jpg
Views: 3894
Size:  585.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6151.jpg
Views: 2482
Size:  349.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6165.jpg
Views: 2967
Size:  765.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6157 (1).jpg
Views: 2525
Size:  644.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6161.jpg
Views: 2559
Size:  505.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9417.jpg
Views: 2499
Size:  477.1 KB

4. Changes I have made to my 330i via CODING

• I have made the following changes to my 330i:

- Added Turquoise/Cyan Ambient Lighting Color
- Added M Animation display on front navi screen.
- Enabled Rear Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
- Allow Fog Lights to be on with parking lights.
- Allow Fog Lights to remain on with High Beams.
- Disable Horn sound when locking the vehicle while it’s running.
- Changed Alarm Sound to European Alarm Sound.
- Welcome Lights only come on when it’s dark
- Added 5 signals for one-touch turn signals
- Allow windows to be rolled up with door open
- Auto Start/Stop function remembers last setting

With that being said, I want to take this time to say Thank You for taking the time to read my first, yet very long posts! I certainly hope this posts was both informative, yet fun to read!

If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Take care everyone!

Cameron
Appreciate 10
VipinLJ1936.50
zamboni1124.50
chenry2346.00
leon360x139.50
MPSdriver192.00
      04-29-2021, 12:24 AM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Congratulations on your new car! It was a fun read. I loved reading ownership reviews when I was in India and I missed that when I moved onto international forums (our local Indian forums have loads of them). This thread brought back good memories.

Do keep this thread updated!
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 12:31 AM   #3
Datemike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330e

Great write-up and a well specced 330i. Amazing color choice going with portimao blue, really pops in the sunlight. Ofcourse my opinion is a bit biased - I have a PB on order too Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 12:49 AM   #4
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Wow that is an epic writeup, thanks for sharing. That is a great shade of blue!

Did u take delivery with the plastic wrap? Some friends did do just that.

I did ponder to leave the plastic on, but just ended up letting the PDI folks do their jobs.

How many miles were on the car when it rolled off the truck?

Mine is also 330i NA. The 340i would be nice too, but it was so easy to grab an in transit car and got delivery in 2 days without waiting for months(been there done that too).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #5
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

She's purdy, my friend. Congrats and enjoy the great new ride!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #6
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Beautiful car and great write up - congrats!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 06:57 AM   #7
Paulkitch
Rep
Drives: G21

Stunning car 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 08:44 AM   #8
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i DravitGrau / Cognac

Congratulations, great spec. I noticed you have not mention anti-dazzle function in the coding list, is it enabled in US now? it is one of the best features.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 08:51 AM   #9
Blado
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 series

Cam, congrats! Beautiful car. I have mine ordered in same color. Looking. Forward to joining you in the club. Your review made me feel better about going with 330 over the m340.

What did you think about ceramic coating?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 11:18 PM   #10
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Wow that is an epic writeup, thanks for sharing. That is a great shade of blue!

Did u take delivery with the plastic wrap? Some friends did do just that.

I did ponder to leave the plastic on, but just ended up letting the PDI folks do their jobs.

How many miles were on the car when it rolled off the truck?

Mine is also 330i NA. The 340i would be nice too, but it was so easy to grab an in transit car and got delivery in 2 days without waiting for months(been there done that too).
bavarianride

Thank you so much for the compliements!

I did not take delivery of the car with the plastic on because the car went straight to my detail guy so that he could apply the G-Techniq Ceramic Coating to the exterior!

My car had around 18 miles on it, which 10 of those miles were from me! Haha

Lastly, send pics when your 330i arrives!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 12:03 AM   #11
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blado View Post
Cam, congrats! Beautiful car. I have mine ordered in same color. Looking. Forward to joining you in the club. Your review made me feel better about going with 330 over the m340.

What did you think about ceramic coating?
Hi Blado,

Thank you so much for the compliment!

I am glad that my review made you feel better about choosing the 330i over the M340i! The M340i, no doubt, is a great car overall, but sadly it would've been too expensive for me if I got one with all the bells and whistles I wanted. A buddy of mine, who just got an M340i, told me that he would rather have a car that had everything he wanted versus having a more powerful vehicle with less equipment. He is power hungry and so an M340i was a must for him, but he told me that if he were to go back in time that he would have spent the extra money for the aesthetic appearance of the Laser Lights and the HK sound system. He said that he didn't really notice how different having those two options were until he got behind the wheel of my 330i. Additionally, he was also quite impressed on how much "get up and go" my 330i had on it!

Additionally, I plan on tuning my car within the next few weeks. A few of my buddies have connections with "Burger Tuning" and all of them are encouraging me to get my car tuned and add an extra 50 or so more horsepower... which will make my car even faster than what it is now! Haha

**Between You, Me, and the Four Doors - I mainly drive in EcoPro mode and so thus it makes having an M340i even less logical because I would maybe use 5-10% of what that car is capable of doing! Hehe

As for your question about the Ceramic Coating: I had it applied on my F48 X1 and I was more then impressed with the product and its performance. For starters the G-Techniq Ceramic Coating really enhances the colors of the vehicle. My Estoril Blue X1 would change from light blue to turquoise/cyan under certain light conditions! It also made cleaning the wheels and the car itself more easier to do. Lastly, the product always had my car looking shiny and new... even when I didn't wash it for months on end!
- For Example: in early 2019 I didn't wash my car for about two months because of constant rain and poor weather conditions and I was quite surprised on how "clean" and shiny my car looked despite not washing it for an extended period of time! hehe

Overall - I would highly recommend Ceramic Coating your vehicle

If you seriously want to go through with it, please read these tips below, which is from my POV

1. Go in with the mindset "you get what you paid for".
- Ceramic Coating both of my vehicles were about 500$ each, but again, I was more than satisfied with my babies. The detail center that I went to was through a recommendation from a close friend of mine who got his i3 coated! I wanted to make sure that my car was in trusted hands... I say this because I have known some other people who got scammed or did a cheap alternative and the results were terrible.

2. Unless your a messy person, I would suggest skipping to have the inside of your vehicle coated
- I had this done on my X1, and being that I do not have a lot of passengers riding in my car very often, I found that coating the interior was a bit of a waste. If you had white leather or maybe have kids who tend to spill stuff in the car, then I would recommend the interior to be treated. I chose not to have my 330i's interior coated and instead opted to have my window pillars wrapped with a clear bra

3. As mentioned above, I had the window pillars on my 330i wrapped with a clear bra.
- Doing this will minimize the swirls that you get when you wash/wipe your vehicle. I did NOT do this on my X1 and you can clearly see what happens to that glossy window pillar after washing it a few times.... those swirls were highly visible!

4. The longevity of the product is mainly dependent on how you take care of your car.
- On my X1 I would always wash my car myself with the G-Techniq car soap and I used special microfiber towels for driving. When I turned in my X1 lease you can clearly see the product was still showing its results 3 years later. I had a friend who had his ceramic coating only last about 3 months... and this was because he would always go to automatic car washes... and that acidic soap basically ate through the finish! So again - it all depends how you take care of your finish

5. G-Techniq is the product I used on both of my cars, but there are other brands who do ceramic coating - EX: "Ceramic Pro" and/or "Cilajet"
- for G-Techniq I did the most basic package under guidance from my detailer. He said that the basic package can do the same job as the higher packages but at a cheaper price.

6. Overtime the coating of the car will get contaminated and it is recommended that you have a maintenance detail applied to it to make it shine again
- I never did this on my X1 but I didn't really feel the need to. I was "supposed" to bring my car in after 2 years to have this done but I never did

7. You can no longer wax or polish your vehicle
- This is what I was told when using G-Techniq

8. Be prepared to be without your car for 1 - 2 days
- On both occasions I was carless for 2 days and my detailer likes to take his time and let everything "settle" before being exposed to the outside environment.

I hope this helps and sorry for the long reply! lol

lmk if you have any more questions...

Ohh and what is your spec????
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 05:11 AM   #12
Blado
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam330i View Post
Hi Blado,

Thank you so much for the compliment!

I am glad that my review made you feel better about choosing the 330i over the M340i! The M340i, no doubt, is a great car overall, but sadly it would've been too expensive for me if I got one with all the bells and whistles I wanted. A buddy of mine, who just got an M340i, told me that he would rather have a car that had everything he wanted versus having a more powerful vehicle with less equipment. He is power hungry and so an M340i was a must for him, but he told me that if he were to go back in time that he would have spent the extra money for the aesthetic appearance of the Laser Lights and the HK sound system. He said that he didn't really notice how different having those two options were until he got behind the wheel of my 330i. Additionally, he was also quite impressed on how much "get up and go" my 330i had on it!

Additionally, I plan on tuning my car within the next few weeks. A few of my buddies have connections with "Burger Tuning" and all of them are encouraging me to get my car tuned and add an extra 50 or so more horsepower... which will make my car even faster than what it is now! Haha

**Between You, Me, and the Four Doors - I mainly drive in EcoPro mode and so thus it makes having an M340i even less logical because I would maybe use 5-10% of what that car is capable of doing! Hehe

As for your question about the Ceramic Coating: I had it applied on my F48 X1 and I was more then impressed with the product and its performance. For starters the G-Techniq Ceramic Coating really enhances the colors of the vehicle. My Estoril Blue X1 would change from light blue to turquoise/cyan under certain light conditions! It also made cleaning the wheels and the car itself more easier to do. Lastly, the product always had my car looking shiny and new... even when I didn't wash it for months on end!
- For Example: in early 2019 I didn't wash my car for about two months because of constant rain and poor weather conditions and I was quite surprised on how "clean" and shiny my car looked despite not washing it for an extended period of time! hehe

Overall - I would highly recommend Ceramic Coating your vehicle

If you seriously want to go through with it, please read these tips below, which is from my POV

1. Go in with the mindset "you get what you paid for".
- Ceramic Coating both of my vehicles were about 500$ each, but again, I was more than satisfied with my babies. The detail center that I went to was through a recommendation from a close friend of mine who got his i3 coated! I wanted to make sure that my car was in trusted hands... I say this because I have known some other people who got scammed or did a cheap alternative and the results were terrible.

2. Unless your a messy person, I would suggest skipping to have the inside of your vehicle coated
- I had this done on my X1, and being that I do not have a lot of passengers riding in my car very often, I found that coating the interior was a bit of a waste. If you had white leather or maybe have kids who tend to spill stuff in the car, then I would recommend the interior to be treated. I chose not to have my 330i's interior coated and instead opted to have my window pillars wrapped with a clear bra

3. As mentioned above, I had the window pillars on my 330i wrapped with a clear bra.
- Doing this will minimize the swirls that you get when you wash/wipe your vehicle. I did NOT do this on my X1 and you can clearly see what happens to that glossy window pillar after washing it a few times.... those swirls were highly visible!

4. The longevity of the product is mainly dependent on how you take care of your car.
- On my X1 I would always wash my car myself with the G-Techniq car soap and I used special microfiber towels for driving. When I turned in my X1 lease you can clearly see the product was still showing its results 3 years later. I had a friend who had his ceramic coating only last about 3 months... and this was because he would always go to automatic car washes... and that acidic soap basically ate through the finish! So again - it all depends how you take care of your finish

5. G-Techniq is the product I used on both of my cars, but there are other brands who do ceramic coating - EX: "Ceramic Pro" and/or "Cilajet"
- for G-Techniq I did the most basic package under guidance from my detailer. He said that the basic package can do the same job as the higher packages but at a cheaper price.

6. Overtime the coating of the car will get contaminated and it is recommended that you have a maintenance detail applied to it to make it shine again
- I never did this on my X1 but I didn't really feel the need to. I was "supposed" to bring my car in after 2 years to have this done but I never did

7. You can no longer wax or polish your vehicle
- This is what I was told when using G-Techniq

8. Be prepared to be without your car for 1 - 2 days
- On both occasions I was carless for 2 days and my detailer likes to take his time and let everything "settle" before being exposed to the outside environment.

I hope this helps and sorry for the long reply! lol

lmk if you have any more questions...

Ohh and what is your spec????
It's comes with everything except DA pro (not available from factory). Comes with adaptive suspension to get a comfortable comfort mode, non run flat tires. I hope there are no other deletions on it since it's a custom order.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #13
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Congrats on the new car!! The Portimao is beautiful! Great write-up! Thanks for doing it.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

06-07-2021, 05:57 PM   #14
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

@ Cam330i Congrats on your new vehicle!!

I do enjoy these posts as why owner's rationale/justify their configuration build for their G20. But I do have questions regarding your choices or options you may or may not consider..

1)Was this a custom specific build or in stock from the dealership?

2)Did you consider Dynamic Handling Package? A feature included in this package that people have discussed here is the Adaptive M Suspension for the driving road conditions.

3)Did you also consider the Shadowline Package? for cosmetics?

4)Will you consider any future M-Performance parts on your vehicle?

5)Did you consider all seasons Run-flats or Summer performance tires?

One more thing about your choice is that the G20 330 has a newer and better steering rack vs the G20 M340i that uses the previous generation F30 steering rack.

Last edited by WXdrivefun; 06-07-2021 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 03:59 PM   #15
RLL RACER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWM8TurnerM6(2)M3's(1)Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam330i View Post
my first 3 series! (g20)
hi all!
I wanted to take this time to share my story and experience of owning a bmw 3 series for the first time! I hope that this thread can be informative to both current and future g20 owners!

in this thread i will include:
1. A personal review/reason as to why i chose the g20 330i,
2. What packages/content i got and why i chose them,
3. A few pictures of my 330i (both before and after it was ceramic coated w/ g-techniq),
4. Changes i’ve made to my 330i via coding

disclaimers/notes:
1. The package breakdown will be based on bmw – north america’s packaging and pricing
2. The content in this post is based entirely on my personal review.
3. I do encourage personal feedback and constructive criticism, but i ask to please limit/omit any negative comments or post

4. My 330i is a boy and his full name is hrag alyjandro cha
• first name: Hrag (pronounced ha-rawg)
• middle name: Alyjandro (a different spelling of the common name “alejandro”)
• last name: Cha (my last name)

so with all that being said, lets go ahead and get started!

1. A personal review/reason as to why i chose the g20 330i:

• my previous vehicles were as followed: 2012 mini cooper, 2015 bmw x1 (e84), and a 2018 bmw x1 (f48).

• the bmw e84 was my first bmw to ever own and was based on the e90 3 series platform! That car drove and handled like a champ and met the standards and expectations that you would expect from a bmw (i.e., performance, handling, etc.)

• the bmw f48 was my second bmw and the last car i had until i got my g20. For those of you who may not know this, the f48 bmw x1 is based on the mini cooper countryman platform/chassis – this explains the fwd layout and the mechanical shifter on the 2016-2019 models. This car, in my honest opinion, is not a true bmw and i personally thought this vehicle was “mediocre” at best. It just did not live up to the performance and handling expectations i had experienced in my previous bmw. While i was (and still am) grateful for the fact that i was able to drive and own a bmw, i just knew that i was ready for a different vehicle. Not to mention that there wasn’t a significant change in the pre-lci and current lci version of the f48 x1 that further enhanced my decision to move to a different vehicle.

• i looked into the bmw g20 3 series as it was a car that i can comfortably afford, and i liked the design of the vehicle (both inside and out)! I also liked that the g20 was up to par with the other bmws, for example the use of idrive 7 (live cockpit pro) – something that is still currently unavailable in the 2021 bmw x1 (f48). I also felt that the g20 lived up to the expectations of having a bmw as i was overly impressed by how much power the car had and how well it handled! After driving and investigating the g20, i later confirmed my choice as having the g20 330i as my next choice of vehicle!

• now many people have asked me “why didn’t you get the m340i?”. I knew that with the packages and content that i wanted in my 3, which is listed below, that i would not be able to comfortably afford an m340i. I would rather be happier with a 330i that had everything i wanted versus sacrificing having an m340i with less equipment on it. Not only that but i felt like the 330i had more than enough power for me, which again, was a significant upgrade over my previous f48 x1!

2. What packages/content i got and why i chose them:
Attachment 2591396

• driving assistance package ($700):
note: **this package was a requirement to get the executive package.

- the driving assistance package is nice as it includes some very useful driver assistance technology that were absent in all my previous vehicles. I find that the blind spot and speed limit info to be the most useful and most used in my personal experience.

- lane departure warning with steering intervention is a setting that people either have a love or hate relationship with. I personally have this set on reduced with the ‘steering intervention’ setting switched on. I found that at the medium setting the car was too sensitive and would vibrate and intervene when there was no need to. Additionally, the steering intervention can be quite jarring – for instance when moving more towards the left when a cyclist is riding a bike on the side of the road and the car corrects by moving you back towards the center and getting dangerously close to the cyclist. I’ve found that ldw in reduced mode with steering intervention to be the perfect blend. I also believe that the reduced mode also causes the steering intervention to be reduced as well?

- frontal collision warning (incl. Pedestrian warning) is switched on by default and i have the setting set to warn me at the earliest time. Unlike other bmws that i have driven, the collision warning system on my 330i is consistent about 95% of the time, with a picture of a red car popping up on both displays when i am getting too close to the car in front of me. Additionally, the car sometimes mistakes parked cars as a potential threat when driving in the lane closest to them as i have seen on multiple occasions the system going off. When the frontal collision warning system goes off a unique, high-pitched noise can be heard while the instrument cluster turns red while also displaying a picture of a car.
note: I’ve have yet to see the pedestrian warning system go off, but i would like to think that it is active and it works!

• m-sport package ($3,800):
- the main reason i wanted the m-sport package is for the inclusion of front led fog lights! Currently in north america, the only g20 3 series that can get led fog lights is the 330i with the m-sport package. This is also partially the reason why i went for a 330i instead of a m340i. I always use my fog lights at night and i like the extra lighting they provide, as well as, the cosmetic appearance on the exterior of the vehicle. Additionally, i like how the fog lights force the low beam lights to come on, while also allowing the adaptive and cornering features of the lights to remain active. Some of you may or may not notice but driving with the low beams on, while not in automatic mode, will deactivate the adaptive and cornering features of the headlamps. Again – to me the fog lights were something that i really wanted and thus is the primary reason i got the m-sport package. If the fog lights were available in the sport line trim (like it is for the 3 series in different countries) then i may have thought hard as to whether i wanted the m-sport package or not.

- the other main reason i got the m-sport package was to be able to have my car in the portimao blue metallic color! Blue is my favorite color and my previous x1’s had the midnight blue and estoril blue metallic colors, respectively. I would have been open to tanzanite blue or phytonic blue if they were available without having to go down the individual route. Additionally, i have also noticed that the portimao blue with a ceramic coating bears some resemblance to estoril blue when viewed under certain conditions.

- i also think the black trim components that is included with the m-sport package compliments the 3 series and portimao blue nicely.

- lastly, i think that the thicker ‘m’ steering wheel is a nice upgrade over the steering wheel in the base, sport line trim!

• parking assistance package ($700):

- the main reason i wanted this package was to use the surround view w/ 3d view to significantly minimize the likelihood of scraping a wheel when parked. In my personal experience, i have found that bmw wheels (specifically m-sport wheels) are quite easy to scrape/scuff and this alone is the primary reason i wanted this package. While i still mainly use the ‘tilt-down’ features of the side view mirrors when parking, it is nice to have the cameras as a second viewpoint to, again, minimize the chances of scraping a wheel.

- the parking assistant is nice feature and is something i had on my previous x1, though i still do not 100% trust it and i have found myself in many instances of choosing to parallel park my car myself. I do, however, think the parking accuracy and efficiency on the g20 is better as the system can also utilize the side and top view cameras to assist it with parking – something my old x1 could not do.

- the back-up assistant is a nice and cool feature, but i find myself using this even less than the parking assistant. I do, however, see how this feature can be quite handy for those who park in tight garages or parking spaces.

- the active park distance control (pdc) with emergency braking intervention is a feature i really hate (with a passion). The sensitivity of the system varies widely but in my own personal experience, i have found the car to consistently brake in situations that were uncalled for. However, the most annoying, yet scariest thing about this feature is how abruptly it brakes. In my own experience, the system always slams on the brakes as opposed to doing it more subtle like. I have found myself in situations where the car slams on the brakes to stop a collision only to realize that i was not in any immediate danger of hitting someone or something. I always get scared and i immediately start thinking that i hit something… only to find out that the system went off prematurely. I find the rear camera and the sensors to be more than adequate for me when reversing and thus i have this active braking feature deactivated.

- lastly the front view camera is a nice feature that is included with this package, but i do have my small list critiques. For one i wish there were a setting to adjust the speed at which the camera can be turned on and the speed at which it shuts off. There are times i find myself wanting to use the feature only for it to not be available due to the speed at which the vehicle is traveling at. To me, it would be helpful to use this feature at a speed that is a tad bit faster than a crawling speed. I also want to point out that i tend to find myself having to take my eyes off the road to find the appropriate button to press. One time, while traveling slow with no one around, i accidently pressed the on/off switch and my car shifted itself into park and the engine turned off. This was a scary moment for me and i knew that it wasn’t good for the car to do this, thus i tend to have to take a quick glance to ensure i press the correct button… only to get frustrated that the system cannot be activated while traveling above a certain speed.

- overall, i think this package is a good package to have and i think the number of features that you get for the price of 700$ is a steal! I think this package pays for itself when it helps to avoid low speed collisions and reducing the possibility of damaging the wheels and/or body panels of the vehicle!

• executive package ($3,500):

- i’m not going to lie, but the only reason why i got this package was for the icon adaptive laser led headlights. I really think the design and performance of the laser lights really sets them apart the base and adaptive led headlights. For starters, the laser lights have four functional headlamps (two on each side) in comparison to the other two that only have two functional headlamps (one on each side) with a fake “dummy” bulb in the inner housing. While i’m not entirely sure of how much additional lighting the laser lights provide over the other two when using just the low beams, i can say that the laser lights, when used with the auto high beams, really does increase brightness by increasing the width and length of visible light down the road! I also find amusement watching the light beams move as i drive through a windy canyon at night! Additionally, i find that the blue housing design of the laser lights compliments the g20 nicely when outfitted with a blue paintjob! The last thing i wanted to point out is how rare the laser lights are! While the executive package seems to be more commonly seen on m340i models, it is still a rare sight on the 3’s, especially the 330i’s.

The only drawback i have is the inconsistent use of the auto high beams, specifically when traveling at low speeds in residential neighborhoods. I have found many consistent instances where the high beams were activated and then deactivated in situations that were uncalled for. For example – when driving down the street to the next stop sign, the high beams may turn on… only to be turned off when decreasing speed as you approach the next stop sign. This is particularly annoying as the system has unintentionally high beamed people walking the streets or in their car and it draws unnecessary attention to myself as people wonder “why is this guy flashing his high beams at me?”. Sometimes i think that because the laser lights are so bright that their reflection off of street signs may “trick” the system into thinking an oncoming vehicle is approaching. Regardless, i think the system is useful but unintentional flashing of the high beams may become a reoccurring problem.

- gesture control is a cool feature that i use on the daily. I’m an individual that typically talks using my hands, and while i initially thought that i would be annoyed with the system by accidently triggering it when talking with my hands, i’m proud to note that the system is not as sensitive as i thought. I guess after having so much practice with the system that i know to avoid the sweet spot that the system uses to recognize gestures. Using gesture control for turning up the volume, skipping/repeating soundtracks, and answering/declining phone calls are just some examples of my use with the system. I tend to use the gesture for volume control more frequently when i have large water bottles or drinks in the cup holders as their size tends to inhibit access to the control knob. I’ve also set the ‘hand fist hand’ gesture to take me home and it i find it to be more convenient than using voice command or digging through the navigation menu. In short, gesture control is a nice feature to have, and it can be quite useful daily with enough practice. It is, however, a feature that i can live simply fine without.

- the head-up display is one of the must have features that i wanted on my 330i, and it is something that is available in the lower tier premium package. Again, the only real reason to get the executive package is to get the laser lights. The price difference between the premium and executive package is about 1,200$, which is equivalent to the price of most lighting packages that bmw has/had offered on different models.

• remote engine start ($300):

- remote engine start is a useful feature that i use on the daily. I am the type of person who likes to let my car warm up if a significant amount of time has passed between usage. I typically drive off once the tachometer rests below 1,000 rpm and the remote start feature shortens the amount of time i spend waiting for my engine to warm up before i drive off. Additionally, i’ve also noticed that the climate control will resume to its last known setting, regardless of if it was on or not. This can be a slight inconvenience, for example, if you remote start your car after it has been sitting in the sun all day and it turns on the heater (84 degrees).

- remote start also works nicely with the “rules for climate control” function, where you can automatically set the heated seats and steering wheel to turn on once the temperature drops below a certain point.
Note: This is assuming your vehicle is properly equipped with the correct equipment

• power tailgate ($250):

- i got this feature with the “cuzz why not?” mindset.

- the only benefit i really see from this option is the ability to lock your car from the trunk and the convenience of opening the tailgate with your foot. The ability to close the trunk by pressing a button is also a benefit but this option is essentially one i can live without.

- the insulting part is that i feel that this feature should be included with the “comfort access keyless entry” option as it makes sense that opening the tailgate with your foot offers more convenience. What i find ironically funny is that a power tailgate was standard on my f48 x1 and comfort access was an upgrade option! Haha

• wireless charging (incl. Wifi hotspot) ($500):

- the main reason i wanted wireless charging was to avoid the use of having and using multiple charging cables. I use an old iphone 4s as a music device and i play that with the use of an usb cable. It was incredibly annoying in my old f48 x1 that the only way to listen to music and charge my phone was to run a charging cable from the rear of the center console to the front. Luckily, i can avoid that problem with this option, and it also frees up my interior from multiple chargers.

- i also like how the size off the wireless charger pad can accommodate different device sizes! It is nice that my phone can charge without having to take off my phone case (which is complicated to do). I have a friend that just got a 2020 mini countryman and the only way to use the wireless charger is to take off my phone case, which is something that i would quickly lose interest in doing.

- this option also includes a wi-fi hotspot and it is actually something i use on the daily. When i got my car, they had a promotion where i can pay 20$/month instead of 25$/month for unlimited gb wireless internet in my car. I, again, subscribed to this with a “cuzz why not?” mind set, and the internet has always been fast and reliable in my experience.

- the only drawback i have for this option is that the charging time to charge my phone is incredibly slow and it does make my phone hot. I have read on other forums that it is faster to use a usb-c charging cable and it avoids making your phone heat up. I keep an extra cable in my car’s glovebox just in case, but i will continue to use my wireless charger pad because, again, i like the look of not having so many cables in my car!

• black kidney grilles ($260):

- i know what you might be thinking… “why didn’t you get the shadowline package? For 40$ more you could have gotten the black kidney grilles, in addition to extra black trim around the vehicle”. The only reason i did not get the shadowline package was because i do not like the look of the black mirror caps and did not want them on my 330i. I do, however, wished that my exhaust tips were black.

- the black kidney grille is a small, but noticeable upgrade over the stock grille when equipped with the m-sport package and i was content with it.

3. Pictures of my 330i (both before and after it was ceramic coated w/ g-techniq)

* before ceramic coating:

Attachment 2591368

Attachment 2591416

Attachment 2591417

Attachment 2591371

* after ceramic coating:

Attachment 2591369

Attachment 2591370

Attachment 2591407

Attachment 2591408

Attachment 2591409

Attachment 2591410

4. Changes i have made to my 330i via coding

• i have made the following changes to my 330i:

- added turquoise/cyan ambient lighting color
- added m animation display on front navi screen.
- enabled rear daytime running lights (drl)
- allow fog lights to be on with parking lights.
- allow fog lights to remain on with high beams.
- disable horn sound when locking the vehicle while it’s running.
- changed alarm sound to european alarm sound.
- welcome lights only come on when it’s dark
- added 5 signals for one-touch turn signals
- allow windows to be rolled up with door open
- auto start/stop function remembers last setting

with that being said, i want to take this time to say thank you for taking the time to read my first, yet very long posts! I certainly hope this posts was both informative, yet fun to read!

If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Take care everyone!

Cameron
p.m. Me.. Thank you
Appreciate 0