BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

View Poll Results: G80/82 variant
G80/82 base 137 30.31%
G80/82 competition 84 18.58%
G80/82 competition xdrive 231 51.11%
Voters: 452. You may not vote on this poll

06-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #45
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

If you looked at the expected take rates from BMW they expected more people to go for Xdrive.

With the Xdrive now out and proven to be just as good if not better then the RWD model I wouldn't be surprised if the take rates are now higher then BMW expected! Specially with the price difference being so small and on a PCP you'd barley notice that on your monthly since not many buy cars outright anymore.

I'm sure there are customers here in the U.K. that would like the manual option but it's clear enough that we just don't buy enough manuals but the U.K. stats everyone goes comp and opted for the DCT, which is why for the G8x we only get ZF.

Also not to mention with the Xdrive being able to go full RWD only and you can turn the traction back on through the 10 stage setting is there really any point in the RWD?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 12:31 PM   #46
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

I'd like to see a RWD, 6MT with the full stable of horses (from the factory w/ warranty).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 12:32 PM   #47
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanEJC View Post
Also not to mention with the Xdrive being able to go full RWD only and you can turn the traction back on through the 10 stage setting is there really any point in the RWD?
Requoting the initial post as we dont want another rwd vs awd thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
PS: This is not a "manual vs automatic" or "rwd vs awd" debate thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 01:00 PM   #48
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [10.00]
2022 BMW G82  [10.00]
Is there any way to estimate or see real production numbers on these?

Are we talking, for example, M3 Comp xDrive 50,000 units worldwide or is it lower/higher?
      06-28-2022, 01:00 PM   #49
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Quote:
Requoting the initial post as we dont want another rwd vs awd thread.

Quote:
PS: This is not a "manual vs automatic" or "rwd vs awd" debate thread.
This is what this thread is though?

As you've said in your OP you want to know the take rate between the three (two U.K.) models currently on offer?

To then see if the rumour about BMW not offering RWD would have any truth to it? (Which you can see on the configurator isn't true maybe for MY24)

Why are people buying the xdrive over the RWD?
You have to ask these questions to why BMW clients might not want to buy RWD over the Xdrive?

Also not to mention Bimmerpost polls aren't gonna give a real world idea since there's only a handful of people are mainly enthusiast on sites like these.

This isn't Xdrive vs RWD and that's better then this.. etc..

But questioning why people are going for one model over the other.

Like I said in my comment Xdrive does everything so if people are going for that model more which this polls shows anyway why would BMW keep producing the RWD model?

Maybe BMW are stoping RWD production but in certain markets I'd like to assume places like the U.K. cause the weather Varys soo much people would be going for the Xdrive more, so BMW U.K. decide to stop selling the RWD model.

Where as some where like the US cause its a lot dryer they would be going for the RWD more.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 01:12 PM   #50
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what this thread is though?

As you've said in your OP you want to know the take rate between the three (two U.K.) models currently on offer?

To then see if the rumour about BMW not offering RWD would have any truth to it? (Which you can see on the configurator isn't true maybe for MY24)

Why are people buying the xdrive over the RWD?
You have to ask these questions to why BMW clients might not want to buy RWD over the Xdrive?
Point of this thread is to document the take rate of different variants from the actual owners within the forum. If you do a search, you can find plenty of rwd vs awd discussions and we all know how those discussions end. Here are a few:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1785246

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1870111

Quote:
Also not to mention Bimmerpost polls aren't gonna give a real world idea since there's only a handful of people are mainly enthusiast on sites like these.
That's a known thing. I think something is better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 01:18 PM   #51
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rux View Post
Is there any way to estimate or see real production numbers on these?

Are we talking, for example, M3 Comp xDrive 50,000 units worldwide or is it lower/higher?
Since BMW is including M lite vehicles in their monthly / yearly M sales report, it might be hard. Hopefully we get to see the actual numbers of this platform one day.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 01:42 PM   #52
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I find it funny that M3's have been RWD since the very beginning and all of a sudden after 6 months people want to toss out all that tradition and heritage in favour of X Drive that's been around in M3 guise for all of about 7/8 months.

Y'all musta forgot!

I didn't get excited about Audi Quattro's when I drove an E36 M3 back in the day, so I sure as hell am not getting excited about X Drive
Appreciate 4
2011ninja3417.00
Rux656.00
gs14031393.50
G80indy1714.00
      06-28-2022, 01:52 PM   #53
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I find it funny that M3's have been RWD since the very beginning and all of a sudden after 6 months people want to toss out all that tradition and heritage in favour of X Drive that's been around in M3 guise for all of about 7/8 months.

Y'all musta forgot!

I didn't get excited about Audi Quattro's when I drove an E36 M3 back in the day, so I sure as hell am not getting excited about X Drive
❌ drive
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 02:00 PM   #54
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

Was chatting with my sales guy the other time I was at the dealership for my oil service. He mentioned that manual orders have slowed down quite a bit since the early days when the G8x was introduced. I asked if most orders have been xDrive given the Canadian weather and he said yes. I guess most people go for convenience over fun.
I'd pick 6MT iver AWD any time, but would have picked a 6MT AWD if it were offered as I leaned to appreciate the extra convenience with my 6MT F30s. That being said, this is one of the easiest RWD I've ever driven in winter/snow. I am quite pleasantly surprised given how much power even the base model has. I'd say BMW pretty much knocked it out of the park with this gen, hopefully not a last hurrah.
Appreciate 1
Rux656.00
      06-28-2022, 02:13 PM   #55
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

Quote:

Y'all musta forgot!

A kindred spirit!
I won't dig out a similar thread from a couple of months ago, but I made the same comment some while back and said for me an M3 would always have to be a RWD car because of its heritage.
I emphasized that I didn't mean only RWD (no issue with an X-Drive option) and certainly wasn't implying anything against those that choose an X-Drive. It is just my emotional position that I would want my M3 to be RWD only.
I still caught some flack for it "... because the X-Drive is so much better" - well the things it is better at aren't what I am looking for.
barryc3651959.00
gs14031393.50
      07-27-2022, 11:07 AM   #56
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Total votes - 269

G80/82 base - 27.88%
G80/82 competition - 22.30%
G80/82 competition xdrive - 49.81%
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 10:13 PM   #57
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Manual for me. I would love an Xdrive manual, but I will take whatever the 6MT options is, so RWD for me.

Been waiting on an allocation for a long time, not sure if 6MT is making things take longer?

Very few G80 manuals when I do any type of search.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3417.00
      07-30-2022, 05:11 AM   #58
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:

Y'all musta forgot!

I can't speak on the tradition as i'm not an M enthusiast or a BMW enthusiast at all. My history is just high hp RWD corvettes but i will say that people change.

I said the same thing when placing my order last summer. I had the option of getting the x-drive as i believe it was ready for order 1-2 months at the time i was at the dealer but i declined it. Because i figure, like the past, RWD means less drivetrain loss, faster off a roll and just more fun right?

Well when the x-drive came out, it was a lot faster than the RWD off a line and even off a roll still faster? Seems that BMW gave x-drive models 603hp instead of 503hp to compensate the drivetrain loss of the AWD.

After owning a tesla for a couple of months, certain needs of a cars' characteristics change. You adapt.

Having the beauty of AWD. Immediate traction all the time. Pair that with power and you're now an addict.

I wish i got the x-drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 11:54 AM   #59
HNSKP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M3 base

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
After owning a tesla for a couple of months, certain needs of a cars' characteristics change. You adapt.

Having the beauty of AWD. Immediate traction all the time. Pair that with power and you're now an addict.

I wish i got the x-drive.
Are you describing the xdrive or the tesla? The M3P checks all of those boxes too and is as fast or faster in real world situations. Talking purely straight line speed of course.

In my experience, the thrill of acceleration wears off quickly when there's little drama to go with it. Then either the mod bug bites or you start looking at other cars, ad infinitum.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 01:38 PM   #60
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNSKP View Post
Are you describing the xdrive or the tesla? The M3P checks all of those boxes too and is as fast or faster in real world situations. Talking purely straight line speed of course.

In my experience, the thrill of acceleration wears off quickly when there's little drama to go with it. Then either the mod bug bites or you start looking at other cars, ad infinitum.
I'm talking about my model 3. I don't have the performance i have the long range + acceleration boost.

But then again tesla probably has the best torque vectoring in the game right now.

That's why there was a video of a plaid doing 2.5 0-60 in the wet on all seasons. It's absolutely nuts.

So far like 4 months in, the thrill of that acceleration is just as amazing as the first day i experienced it.

I have other ICE cars that keeps me entertained as well.

But for a daily driver, nothing beats an EV. I can never go back to an ICE daily.
Appreciate 1
HNSKP314.50
      07-30-2022, 06:53 PM   #61
HNSKP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [8.00]
Quote:
But for a daily driver, nothing beats an EV. I can never go back to an ICE daily.
Totally agree that EV rules as a daily.

I'm just one of the stubborn few who still prefers to drive to work with an anachronistic manual transmission. The 1-2 shift doesn't like to be rushed. Cars beat me off the light all the time lol.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2329.50
      07-30-2022, 07:21 PM   #62
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Totally agree that EV rules as a daily.

I'm just one of the stubborn few who still prefers to drive to work with an anachronistic manual transmission. The 1-2 shift doesn't like to be rushed. Cars beat me off the light all the time lol.
I totally respect you still want/have a manual. I only have 1 manual car left, my C7Z. But to be honest, i love the car to death but i hate that it's a manual now lol. When i got it i was still in love with manuals. I thought by getting rid of my manual daily i had 2 years ago i would appreciate a weekend manual car more. But nope. When i drive my C7Z on the weekend, i love the sound, power and the attention but then i'm like fuck, i gotta do this shifting shit again.

I now understand why a lot of people hate teslas or tesla owners so much. We're too cocky out there in real world driving lol. At least anywhere from 0-90 or so. I have pissed off so many people the past couple of months when they want to pass me and i just stab the throttle lmao
Appreciate 1
HNSKP314.50
      07-30-2022, 09:19 PM   #63
HNSKP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [8.00]
Quote:
I now understand why a lot of people hate teslas or tesla owners so much. We're too cocky out there in real world driving lol. At least anywhere from 0-90 or so. I have pissed off so many people the past couple of months when they want to pass me and i just stab the throttle lmao
I was guilty of doing that when I rented an S P85D and X P90D a few years ago. Don't need that kind of temptation on my commute. We're not that far off from seeing every other person on the road driving EVs with sub 2.5 second 0-60 times. It's a scary future.

To get this thread back on track:
I think of x drive as the standard version of the competition, while the rwd is an extra "purer" trim at a slightly lower entry point, kind of like carrera S vs carrera T.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2329.50
      07-30-2022, 10:09 PM   #64
Former-Mopar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MBW M4 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besharaf View Post
It makes sense to me to discontinue it. The xDrive can turn into RWD with a touch of a button. Its probably upsetting people they're forced to pay the extra $5k to get the xDrive.
Do you think the extra $5k will be an issue for people who are spending $85k on the vehicle plus several thousands on ppf and others mods.
It could be an issue. How do you know they aren't loaded down with debt already. Hell most people in the US live pay check to pay check already.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 05:52 AM   #65
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was guilty of doing that when I rented an S P85D and X P90D a few years ago. Don't need that kind of temptation on my commute. We're not that far off from seeing every other person on the road driving EVs with sub 2.5 second 0-60 times. It's a scary future.
Nah, just like today's ICE cars, you have tiers. But i think it would be relatively easier to go fast in an EV in the future, than it would be today, in an ICE car. But i don't think everyone will be driving 2.5 0-60 cars in the future lol. A lot will, but the soccer moms might be forced/or want to drive a slower 4 second 0-60 EV lol. Yeah you're right, it's going to be scary haha.

Quote:
To get this thread back on track:
I think of x drive as the standard version of the competition, while the rwd is an extra "purer" trim at a slightly lower entry point, kind of like carrera S vs carrera T.

That's what i think should be done, but probably too late now to modify models like this this late in the generation (because there's no rumor of a possibility).

Purist M3/M4 = lightweight MT & RWD only
Street M3C/M4C = x-drive & auto only

Just have 2 variants of the model, instead of 3.
Appreciate 1
HNSKP314.50
      07-31-2022, 08:07 AM   #66
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former-Mopar View Post
It could be an issue. How do you know they aren't loaded down with debt already. Hell most people in the US live pay check to pay check already.
I would assume that crowd to opt for something flashier than a G8x.

Quote:
That's what i think should be done, but probably too late now to modify models like this this late in the generation (because there's no rumor of a possibility).

Purist M3/M4 = lightweight MT & RWD only
Street M3C/M4C = x-drive & auto only

Just have 2 variants of the model, instead of 3.
There is still a good amount of people opting for M3c and i dont think anyone here would complain because a manufacturer is giving more options to the customer. Also BMW would have done plenty of market analysis before zeroing in variants especially for a M3/4 (base is not an option in the UK).
Appreciate 0