Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK G20 Ownership Issues - Please help

11-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Dpfghela
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d

G20 Ownership Issues - Please help

So, after encouragment from a family member, I dipped my toe into the BMW pool and I was hooked. My first model was a nearly new F30 320d.

I found ownership a sublime experience and I found the car surprisingly bullet proof. In short I really enjoyed it. However, the lease came to an end and it was time to upgrade. After some soul searching, I settled on a nearly new g20 320d. But... so far my ownership experience hasn't been as exemplary as my trusty F30.

Now I want to ask far wiser and more learned BMW owners about some niggles I've come across and find out if this is typical for the vehicle.

Has anyone else found the G20 steering lifeless and dull compared to the old F30 had hydronic steering?

When idling the car is fairly quiet and ticks over nicely, but when Drive is engaged there is a weird but noticeable rattle/ticking noise which goes upon acceleration. Has anyone else noticed a similar noise

Recently the cars vibrating damper broke apart splitting the drive belt. The Dealer said this was a common fault on E90 model? Do long term BM owners recall such an issue and is it a reoccurring fault?

The heads up display seems to be acting strangely... its stopped displaying the boost gauge when entered into sports mode. Has this happened to anyone else?

Aaannnnnd lastly, because of these niggles I am considering swapping into a late model 4 series convertible 435d. Any advice on the model and engine? A comparison to the dynamics of the G20 would be most welcome (I know this might be an odd comparison due to one being a saloon and the other a convertible but I would appreciate the comments).

Many thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 03:24 AM   #2
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

I lost sport display in heads up following a software update. It’s back at the dealers tomorrow to hopefully sort it out.
This my first BMW so can’t comment on previous models but my niggles with the car are tyre wear and lack of remote start. I easily got 20k+ from 19’s on my Jags - I’m currently 3mm at 9k, and I miss starting the car on cold mornings while getting ready for work. Not sure why BMW don’t provide this feature here as it is available in the US.
Other than that I really like how it drives and looks. If I were you I would be making use of the manufacture warranty to check out that transmission noise and ask them to look at the display while it’s there.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2020, 06:04 AM   #3
Quietlife
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Garage List
2019 BMW G20  [0.00]
I've found the same with tyres. I drive like Miss Daisy (320i) and at just over 10k miles the rears are due for imminent replacement.
Think I'll try a different brand next
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman15 View Post
I lost sport display in heads up following a software update. It’s back at the dealers tomorrow to hopefully sort it out.
I have lost the rev display in sport mode on the HUD too. On latest software update too. I can get it if I force it to always on but not just in Sport mode.

Did the dealer fix it?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post
I have lost the rev display in sport mode on the HUD too. On latest software update too. I can get it if I force it to always on but not just in Sport mode.

Did the dealer fix it?
Unfortunately not fixed. I was told BMW were aware of the issue and are working on a resolution.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
Dpfghela
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post

Did the dealer fix it?
Unfortunately not fixed. I was told BMW were aware of the issue and are working on a resolution.
Not just me then. Fair enough. Software issue would make sense
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 03:25 AM   #7
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpfghela View Post
Not just me then. Fair enough. Software issue would make sense
Indeed. It was there ok before the software update. Thanks for the info. i hope it is not going to be a dealer update though and they can do it OTA.
Appreciate 1