Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Immediately taking new car to have tires changed out when I receive it

11-12-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
Rossodio
Lifelong BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

Immediately taking new car to have tires changed out when I receive it

I will be getting an M340i with the solid jet black 19 inch wheels as a part of a factory build. I must have these wheels to truly get the build that I want in this case. The dealer who is putting the factory order in has confirmed that, for whatever reason, my only two options for tires that will come on the vehicle from the BMW plant will be either non-run flat *HIGH* performance (which also requires the enhanced cooling system etc. which I don't want) or All-Season tires. I am not interested in having a spare in the trunk and not interested in the potential for decreased comfort and increased noise that the high performance tires would mean. I also have no real interest in the All-Season tires that could otherwise come with the car for reasons that I am sure most here are quite aware of. I was hoping that, as with every single other wheel style that is offered for this model, that BMW would allow me to choose the Performance run-flat tire (not the high performance non-run flat).

The best solution I have come up with is to pick the car up from the Performance Center once it arrives and then to immediately drive it somewhere to have the all season tires taken off and have a better performance tire put on that would be akin to the Performance tires offered by default on most BMW's.

Obviously there would be cost associated, but I am trying to figure out two things -
1) As I am not beholden to the BMW dealership and can have tires put on anywhere, any specific tire recs? I could go to a dealer and have them throw their performance run flats on but I am sure there are better options.
2) Since the all season tires will have been driven on for less than 100 miles, any change I would get some sort of credit for them? They could surely be resold, albeit as used tires.

I'm open to any other suggestions. I drive my cars hard and am pretty certain I don't want to run the all season tires down, though.
2018 340i - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige Dakota Leather - 2018-March 2021
2021 M340i - Dravit Grey Metallic/Cognac Vernasca Leather - March 2021-Present
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
az-bimmer
Former Autobahn Raser
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39 540i

I was thinking the same thing before I submit my M340i build. I want definitely 19" flush staggered setup and I may even go wider than 255s on the rear. Need to check what the BMW rims support.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossodio View Post
I will be getting an M340i with the solid jet black 19 inch wheels as a part of a factory build. I must have these wheels to truly get the build that I want in this case. The dealer who is putting the factory order in has confirmed that, for whatever reason, my only two options for tires that will come on the vehicle from the BMW plant will be either non-run flat *HIGH* performance (which also requires the enhanced cooling system etc. which I don't want) or All-Season tires. I am not interested in having a spare in the trunk and not interested in the potential for decreased comfort and increased noise that the high performance tires would mean. I also have no real interest in the All-Season tires that could otherwise come with the car for reasons that I am sure most here are quite aware of. I was hoping that, as with every single other wheel style that is offered for this model, that BMW would allow me to choose the Performance run-flat tire (not the high performance non-run flat).

The best solution I have come up with is to pick the car up from the Performance Center once it arrives and then to immediately drive it somewhere to have the all season tires taken off and have a better performance tire put on that would be akin to the Performance tires offered by default on most BMW's.

Obviously there would be cost associated, but I am trying to figure out two things -
1) As I am not beholden to the BMW dealership and can have tires put on anywhere, any specific tire recs? I could go to a dealer and have them throw their performance run flats on but I am sure there are better options.
2) Since the all season tires will have been driven on for less than 100 miles, any change I would get some sort of credit for them? They could surely be resold, albeit as used tires.

I'm open to any other suggestions. I drive my cars hard and am pretty certain I don't want to run the all season tires down, though.
Is this a lease or a purchase?

If it's a lease, I would stash the tires for lease turnin and have them put back on at that point.

If it's not a leases, I would look to sell the performance tires on forum. The performance non-run flats are some of the best summer tires available on the market. Also, if you don't want a spare you have to get the ZTK option I believe.

Even if you can negotiate a credit, it's unlikely they will beat whatever you can get private sale.

Heck, I'm half tempted to offer you money for them so I can store them for potential future ut oh's, or just replacing when tread is up.

Word of caution using a 3rd party tire shop, make sure they have current/proper equipment if you're simply swapping rubber on the new wheels. I would hate to see those babies get scratched up with <100 miles on them.

Personally I would have the dealer put the performance runflats you want on, that way you have some assurance it will be done properly or covered if mistakes are made.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muc2phx View Post
I was thinking the same thing before I submit my M340i build. I want definitely 19" flush staggered setup and I may even go wider than 255s on the rear. Need to check what the BMW rims support.
Just an FYI while the setup is staggered it will not sit flush unless you run spacers
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
Jerrytarg6_m340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 bmw m3 comp xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:
Just an FYI while the setup is staggered it will not sit flush unless you run spacers
If you get the run flat option your rims and tires are not staggered. 8" wheel all the way around. 225s all four. I thought they were staggered too. Which is why now I have to buy aftermarket. And stash stock for winter. And turn in.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrytarg6_m340 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:
If you get the run flat option your rims and tires are not staggered. 8" wheel all the way around. 225s all four. I thought they were staggered too. Which is why now I have to buy aftermarket. And stash stock for winter. And turn in.
Okay thanks - I probably should have been more clear with my response - was trying to share that no oem wheel option sits flush (not even the mperformance 20" upgrade)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #7
enginediver
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue 2018 F80

I did the same. Swapped the runflats the same day. Have them stashed for/if I return the lease. I got Michelins A/S 3 245/40/19 all around.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
Rossodio
Lifelong BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrytarg6_m340 View Post
So wait - just to be clear here... The non-run flat option is staggered while the run flat is not. Correct?

With that being the case, would I be able to get the non-run flat, go to my dealer, and have them switch those out for staggered run flats? Would they keep both specs in stock? If it is that much trouble, I may do as I originally stated and get the all season RF tires and swap them out...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #9
Rossodio
Lifelong BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

Also... reading about the ZTK package, no spare tire, high performance tires, this apparently REQUIRES the oil cooler/radiator or whatever the extra piece is to be put into the car. That thing is a liability from what I understand and for someone like me who won't be tracking the car or working it out, I don't think it would make sense (and would cost more, to boot).

If no option to take the high performance tires without the cooler, I would definitely go with the all seasons in that case. Can someone verify or refute the above?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
az-bimmer
Former Autobahn Raser
United_States
Rep

These are the Staggered wheel combos for 3 Series (G20) Model Year 2021:

Front: 19x8.0, 225/40 R19
Rear: 19x8.5, 255/35 R19
  • 19" M Double-spoke bi-color jet black wheels, style 791M w/
  • performance rft

• 19" M Double-spoke jet black wheels, style 791M w/high-performance
  • non rft

• 19" M Double-spoke jet black wheels, style 791M w/performance rft

• 19" M Double-spoke cerium grey wheels, style 792M w/high perf. non
  • run-flat

• 19" M Double-spoke cerium grey wheels style 792M w/performance
  • runflat tires
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #11
az-bimmer
Former Autobahn Raser
United_States
Rep

I will probably go with staggered 791M w/performance rft and use spacers. Sadly, you can't order the 791M non
run-flat so I will swap right away and sell the run-flats.

Thinking to go 235/40/19 front and 265/35/19 rear

At least that's the plan LOL

Last edited by az-bimmer; 11-12-2020 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #12
Rossodio
Lifelong BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These are the Staggered wheel combos for 3 Series (G20) Model Year 2021:

• 19" M Double-spoke bi-color jet black wheels, style 791M w/
  • performance rft

• 19" M Double-spoke jet black wheels, style 791M w/high-performance
  • non rft

• 19" M Double-spoke jet black wheels, style 791M w/performance rft

• 19" M Double-spoke cerium grey wheels, style 792M w/high perf. non
  • run-flat

• 19" M Double-spoke cerium grey wheels style 792M w/performance
  • runflat tires
Speaking directly with my dealer who seems to know what he is doing, the Jet Black M791 w/Performance RFT is not an option, while the same tire w/All-Season RFT is. This is in agreement with the builder at BMWUSA.COM as well. Any idea why I might have that discrepancy from the list that you have? I am having delivery made in the USA but because it is Dravit Grey it is being manufactured at the Munich plant.

Last edited by Rossodio; 11-12-2020 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #13
az-bimmer
Former Autobahn Raser
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jet Black M791 w/Performance RFT is not an option, while the same tire w/All-Season RFT is.
yeah, unfortunately you need the Cooling and High Performance Tire Package to get them. Same goes to 19" M Double-spoke cerium grey wheels, style 792M w/high perf. non
run-flat.

Last edited by az-bimmer; 11-12-2020 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #14
Rossodio
Lifelong BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah, unfortunately you need the Cooling and High Performance Tire Package to get them. Same goes to 19" M Double-spoke cerium grey wheels, style 792M w/high perf. non
run-flat.
Ugh. That stinks. Looks like unless I got the cooling/high performance tire package (which I don't want due to the cooler issues discussed elsewhere), I will have to get the car with the all seasons on by default and pony up money for tire replacement immediately. If there is any way to work around this, let me know, so long as it doesn't involve driving on those crummy all seasons until they're worn out.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 03:20 AM   #15
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

It sounds to me that if you are steadfast on the wheels and refuse to take on the ZTK package, the logical solution is to order the car with your jet black 791 wheels and when the car hits the dealership, order some replacement tires that meet your specific requirements.

The dealer is not necessarily your friend on a tire swap because you will pay too much for the replacement tires you choose. Looking at your vehicle rotation every three years, it looks like you lease so as previously mentioned, storing the stock “star” tires for turn in might be a good idea. If you are going to buy the tire wheel insurance coverage from the dealer you’ll need to know how replacing the tires affects that.

Check with the best tire retailer in Greenville, or checkout TireRack for options. They are experts in this stuff.

I wanted the 797 staggered wheels on my new M440i, but I didn’t lease and I am going to pretty much daily drive the car in an area of the Midwest that averages 16 inches of snow over 5-6 events each year and frequent days below 40 degrees, so I am taking the opposite approach. I’m replacing my PZero run flat summer tires next week with an ultra-high performance all season go flat tire, probably Continentals and adding an inflator kit to the trunk. I’m not leasing so I plan to sell my P7s and hopefully recover at least a third of the cost of the new tires, maybe selling them to a G20 driver who needs them.

Last edited by VetteGuy; 11-15-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2020, 09:18 PM   #16
Rossodio
Lifelong BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
It sounds to me that if you are steadfast on the wheels and refuse to take on the ZTK package, the logical solution is to order the car with your jet black 791 wheels and when the car hits the dealership, order some replacement tires that meet your specific requirements.

The dealer is not necessarily your friend on a tire swap because you will pay too much for the replacement tires you choose. Looking at your vehicle rotation every three years, it looks like you lease so as previously mentioned, storing the stock “star” tires for turn in might be a good idea. If you are going to buy the tire wheel insurance coverage from the dealer you’ll need to know how replacing the tires affects that.

Check with the best tire retailer in Greenville, or checkout TireRack for options. They are experts in this stuff.

I wanted the 797 staggered wheels on my new M440i, but I didn’t lease and I am going to pretty much daily drive the car in an area of the Midwest that averages 16 inches of snow over 5-6 events each year and frequent days below 40 degrees, so I am taking the opposite approach. I’m replacing my P7 run flat summer tires next week with an ultra-high performance all season go flat tire, probably Continentals and adding an inflator kit to the trunk. I’m not leasing so I plan to sell my P7s and hopefully recover at least a third of the cost of the new tires, maybe selling them to a G20 driver who needs them.
Well, this car will actually be the first that I have purchased since my first car back in 1997. As it will be a purchase, I am not sure that it affects what I ought to do based on what I see in your post there. It looks like I will get the jet black wheels and immediately replace the tires. The question is whether I go through tire rack and get something nice that is a performance run flat and may outclass what the dealer offers or go through the dealer for their "performance run flat" tires du jour. If I go the tire rack route but have the dealership actually switch the tires out, would there be any disadvantage to this as opposed to using whatever the dealership has as their default performance RF option? If not, I will definitely tote tires I buy to the dealership to install.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:21 PM   #17
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:

I wanted the 797 staggered wheels on my new M440i, but I didn’t lease and I am going to pretty much daily drive the car in an area of the Midwest that averages 16 inches of snow over 5-6 events each year and frequent days below 40 degrees, so I am taking the opposite approach. I’m replacing my P7 run flat summer tires next week with an ultra-high performance all season go flat tire, probably Continentals and adding an inflator kit to the trunk. I’m not leasing so I plan to sell my P7s and hopefully recover at least a third of the cost of the new tires, maybe selling them to a G20 driver who needs them.
Well, this car will actually be the first that I have purchased since my first car back in 1997. As it will be a purchase, I am not sure that it affects what I ought to do based on what I see in your post there. It looks like I will get the jet black wheels and immediately replace the tires. The question is whether I go through tire rack and get something nice that is a performance run flat and may outclass what the dealer offers or go through the dealer for their "performance run flat" tires du jour. If I go the tire rack route but have the dealership actually switch the tires out, would there be any disadvantage to this as opposed to using whatever the dealership has as their default performance RF option? If not, I will definitely tote tires I buy to the dealership to install.
The thing to think about is why are you so concerned with performance tires of you are willing to get the skinny rear wheels? Why not just stick with the all season?

As noted above if you get the all seasons from the factory you are getting narrow rear rims (same width as the fronts) if you are interested in the handling benefits of the summer tires you will want the wider rear rims which add rear grip.

Overall the extra cooling might not be necessary but if you care about having performance tires on the car it sounds like the performance benefit of the larger brakes might be of interest along with the wider rear set.

FWIW the tires that come with ZTK are top of the line
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #18
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The dealer is not necessarily your friend on a tire swap because you will pay too much for the replacement tires you choose. Looking at your vehicle rotation every three years, it looks like you lease so as previously mentioned, storing the stock "star" tires for turn in might be a good idea. If you are going to buy the tire wheel insurance coverage from the dealer you'll need to know how replacing the tires affects that.

I wanted the 797 staggered wheels on my new M440i, but I didn't lease and I am going to pretty much daily drive the car in an area of the Midwest that averages 16 inches of snow over 5-6 events each year and frequent days below 40 degrees, so I am taking the opposite approach. I'm replacing my P7 run flat summer tires next week with an ultra-high performance all season go flat tire, probably Continentals and adding an inflator kit to the trunk. I'm not leasing so I plan to sell my P7s and hopefully recover at least a third of the cost of the new tires, maybe selling them to a G20 driver who needs them.
The thing to think about is why are you so concerned with performance tires of you are willing to get the skinny rear wheels? Why not just stick with the all season?

As noted above if you get the all seasons from the factory you are getting narrow rear rims (same width as the fronts) if you are interested in the handling benefits of the summer tires you will want the wider rear rims which add rear grip.

Overall the extra cooling might not be necessary but if you care about having performance tires on the car it sounds like the performance benefit of the larger brakes might be of interest along with the wider rear set.

FWIW the tires that come with ZTK are top of the line
Basically this

It's unfortunate though as the G22 has the option it seems you are looking for

Option 1PP. 791M staggered with performance rfts

Maybe order an M440xi instead 😋
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #19
az-bimmer
Former Autobahn Raser
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post
Basically this

It's unfortunate though as the G22 has the option it seems you are looking for

Option 1PP. 791M staggered with performance rfts

Maybe order an M440xi instead 😋
Again:
These are the Staggered wheel combos for 3 Series (G20) Model Year 2021 no need to order a M440 to get them LOL :

19" M Double-spoke bi-color jet black wheels, style 791M w/
performance rft

19" M Double-spoke jet black wheels, style 791M w/high-performance
non rft

19" M Double-spoke jet black wheels, style 791M w/performance rft

19" M Double-spoke cerium grey wheels, style 792M w/high perf. non
run-flat

19" M Double-spoke cerium grey wheels style 792M w/performance
runflat tires
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #20
Rossodio
Lifelong BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by az-bimmer View Post
Again:
19" M Double-spoke jet black wheels, style 791M w/performance rft
This option is not showing up for me in the configurator nor for the dealer. Are you 100% sure that this option is available for the 2021 M340i? This is what I would want.

You didn't include the same wheel with all-season rft on your list which is the one that they have stated actually is available.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #21
ultrared93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix '93 300zxTT QX30

Quote:
This option is not showing up for me in the configurator nor for the dealer. Are you 100% sure that this option is available for the 2021 M340i? This is what I would want.

You didn't include the same wheel with all-season rft on your list which is the one that they have stated actually is available.
Take a look at the BMW NA ordering guide -
https://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfo...ing_Guides.pdf
Effectively, if you go with all-season 19" tires you get the square setup.
If you want the 791M wheels in jet black you have two options: 1) Code 1PN staggered wheel setup which mates the high perf non-rft tires via the ZTK cooling etc. option, or 2) Code 1PR which which mates all-season rft tires in the square setup. The Ordering Guide is very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #22
az-bimmer
Former Autobahn Raser
United_States
Rep

I personally would never go with square setup on any bimmer. They just handle much better with the staggered setup and it looks much better too. Just my 2c
Appreciate 0