Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Welcome Lights - Need Your Help!

09-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #23
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
Since my last update I have had a problem with the welcome lights.

Previously as I approach the car it would sense the key close by and the headlights, tail lights, door handle lights and welcome carpet lights would automatically come on and if I didn't open the car the headlights would pulse on and off showing the blue laser lights.

This stopped after my update and had to get BMW involved to try and resolve as the dealer said I was wrong and it didn't have that function.

They even tried to show me on a M340i in the showroom until I pointed out it won't work as it's not dark lol

So it's in for a full week from Monday and they have to download all the cars settings and send to BMW Germany. I have read on here that others had the same problem after updates and it seems to have been coded out and this is where I need your help!

If anyone has this feature working could you please post a video so I can show them I'm not as thick as they think and it was actually a feature before my update?

Many thanks
Hey Andy are you saying that none of your lights come on at night if you approach your car or is it the pulsing that isn't working?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #24
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkap View Post
Quote:
Since my last update I have had a problem with the welcome lights.

Previously as I approach the car it would sense the key close by and the headlights, tail lights, door handle lights and welcome carpet lights would automatically come on and if I didn't open the car the headlights would pulse on and off showing the blue laser lights.

This stopped after my update and had to get BMW involved to try and resolve as the dealer said I was wrong and it didn't have that function.

They even tried to show me on a M340i in the showroom until I pointed out it won't work as it's not dark lol

So it's in for a full week from Monday and they have to download all the cars settings and send to BMW Germany. I have read on here that others had the same problem after updates and it seems to have been coded out and this is where I need your help!

If anyone has this feature working could you please post a video so I can show them I'm not as thick as they think and it was actually a feature before my update?

Many thanks
Hey Andy are you saying that none of your lights come on at night if you approach your car or is it the pulsing that isn't working?
Unless I have the auto unlock on or unlock the car with the key the welcome lights don't come on.

They used to when it detects the key without even unlocking.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 02:54 PM   #25
Mswarnn
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboyj View Post
Quote:
So I'm still experiencing issues with the welcome lights and my car has been in the dealers for a few days trying to fix this.

They have said they have fixed it and said it works at night but when testing they don't come on when I approach the vehicle and it senses the key during the day as it did before and said I need to auto unlock option switched on which I never had before. Two questions:

Is this function still on newer models than mine (03/2019) where the car detects the key as you approach and the lights activate during the day and night and cycles through without auto unlock switched on?

Could someone share a video of this if possible please showing them come on when you approach the car with it still locked and the lights should come on and off?

Many thanks
I also have a 320d (03/2019) with the same problem. The welcome lights worked until I installed an 'over the air' update to the car and they haven't worked since. I thought it was a great feature, walking up to the car and lights coming on without any interaction via the key. I have Comfort access but have left auto unlock deliberately turned off.

I would ask my local dealer to have a look at it but judging by what you're saying it's a painful process and my singular visit to them so far for another matter was painful enough.

Sorry I can't provide any video evidence to assist, but good luck getting it resolved and if you do please post the fix.
It's so frustrating, they don't understand what I mean. They have updated the software to latest version, updated the main car firmware and replaced the BDC module but still won't work unless I put the comfort access on as I approach.

Did yours used to work during the day?

I could stand near the car during the day and the lights would cycle through the DRLs, side lights and main beams with the blue from the laser lights staying on for a period of time.
This was exactly how my car was. Welcome Lights came on as you approached the car and only unlocked when you physically touched the door handle.

I have been speaking with BMW the past 2 weeks - let's just say it's been frustrating trying to get them to acknowledge or agree with me! Anyhow, we've figured that the software update that occurred a few months ago don't allow for that function no more. This could be partly to do with key usage, further features which don't allow for the welcome lights unless comfort is enabled, and possibly battery saving - some of the random thoughts we discussed. However, the technician tried it on a brand new (never been driven) BMW G20, and it only worked when comfort access was enabled. If it wasn't enabled, the lights wouldn't come on unless you actually opened the car. It's a shame as I really liked that feature!!
Appreciate 0