Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Opinions on Lane Keeping Assistant?

09-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #89
kirr89
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

The issue I've noticed with mine is that it doesn't really keep you in the lane.

I was testing it, and it'll pull you back in the lane, but if you continue to let the car veer towards the road lines again, it won't bring you back. It only pulls you back in the lane the first time, but not the second or third times if they're consecutive.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 07:04 PM   #90
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xacoffeemx View Post
I think that it's all about context. Where I am coming from is from an on ramp of the freeway where I NEED to speed up. In the stretch, I was also taking the very next exit and it wasn't even me attempting a merge.

Second, it may seem like I accelerated a lot, but that's an illusion coming from the left lane decelerating. Notice the TC swerving into the lane the moment the car in front of him started to brake?

Third, that's not how the laws work here in USA. It's 90% the fault of the person not yielding to the other lane, and I didn't violate anything in this context. You could try to prove me wrong here.
... Indeed I could, but not looking for forum wars. I understand your point about context. The onus is generally on the person merging into the lane, but if the court determined a sudden surge in your speed while in that drivers blind spot created an unpredictable condition, they could accuse you of wreckless driving and put you at fault. Once again I want to acknowlege I was not there and I'm not judging your position, I'm just saying the video would probably not work in your favor had a collision occurred -- because those making the final call would only have the video to work from as well, and they are less likely to get as detailed into the analysis as we already have here. Subjectively, I think the guy in the truck was being the biggest dink in the deal, because it seems to me he had plenty of time to slow down and get in line but instead he decided to gun it and take his chances (which is kind of a stupid move in a truck in the first place).
Appreciate 1
hamera441.50
      11-12-2020, 08:17 PM   #91
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
What a dangerous feature to have by default, especially on loaners. If you need to make an emergency evasive maneuver you're not going to have time to turn on blinkers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
What a dangerous feature to have by default, especially on loaners. If you need to make an emergency evasive maneuver you're not going to have time to turn on blinkers.
This is very dangerous feature. When I get mine I will find sensors and I will remove them.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 09:06 PM   #92
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz555 View Post
This is very dangerous feature. When I get mine I will find sensors and I will remove them.
My advice would be to take the time to first try out the systems before disabling them. My guess is you will find that they are very unintrusive and you will end up keeping them activated. If not, at least you tried them and made the decision based on your own experiences.
Appreciate 2
oz555671.00
      11-13-2020, 06:18 AM   #93
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
TurtleBoy ,

+1

For the first couple of weeks after getting my car, the lane keeper assistant drove me nuts -- and it was set at lowest position. Over time, I got used to it and even found that when I tried to change lanes without using my blinkers, this feature "reminded" me to do so. Having said that, however, I do turn it off on the track

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:38 AM   #94
oz555
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
My advice would be to take the time to first try out the systems before disabling them. My guess is you will find that they are very unintrusive and you will end up keeping them activated. If not, at least you tried them and made the decision based on your own experiences.
Quote:
Quote:
I took G20 330i for test drive last month. Steering assist was brutal. This is very dangerous and it's matter of time when will someone have accident because of the "safety" feature.
Appreciate 1
Calamari208.50
      11-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #95
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I took G20 330i for test drive last month. Steering assist was brutal. This is very dangerous and it's matter of time when will someone have accident because of the "safety" feature.
On the G05 X5 it seems to operate very well in my opinion. On the rare occasions I'm not using the cruise and I start going out of my lane it fairly gently steers back into the lane. I'm test driving an M340i next week so I will test it out on that.
Appreciate 1
oz555671.00
      11-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #96
oz555
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
On the G05 X5 it seems to operate very well in my opinion. On the rare occasions I'm not using the cruise and I start going out of my lane it fairly gently steers back into the lane. I'm test driving an M340i next week so I will test it out on that.
Imagine that You wanted to avoid some unexpected obstacle in your lane. It could be anything, even the child running for the ball or some animal and You didn't have time to signal. IMO steering assist is unprecedented danger. There are countless events where steering correction can lead to disaster.
Appreciate 1
Calamari208.50
      11-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #97
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Imagine that You wanted to avoid some unexpected obstacle in your lane. It could be anything, even the child running for the ball or some animal and You didn't have time to signal. IMO steering assist is unprecedented danger. There are countless events where steering correction can lead to disaster.

That should not be a problem at all. It does not require a turn signal in that situation, as soon as it feels the slight pressure of you turning it stops trying to keep you in the lane.
Appreciate 1
oz555671.00
      11-14-2020, 06:01 AM   #98
jbarba
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: G21 320i

I disabled it seconds after went in action.
In my opinion, these kind of 'assistants' brings more problems that they fix. And no one really know exactly how many accidents prevent or provoke. So, disable it.
Appreciate 1
oz555671.00
      11-14-2020, 06:16 AM   #99
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

It's a safety feature, not a self-driving feature. It keeps you from fully exiting your lane rather than keeping you centered, which is your job. I've played with it a bit and it works well (when the icon is on the instrument cluster). I would say it helps in situations where you are about to leave your lane due to a lapse in focus or similar. It obviously just gets in the way of normal driving, but you can use blinkers (come on guys, our G20 blinkers look pretty cool) or turn off LKA entirely. You can overpower it during emergencies.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #100
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarba View Post
In my opinion, these kind of 'assistants' brings more problems that they fix. And no one really know exactly how many accidents prevent or provoke. So, disable it.
Exactly what I did. Disabled it a week after I bought the car. (I waited a week to give it a chance to prove me wrong.)

However, for us driving the twisty roads of the mediterranean regions this lane keeping feature is utterly useless, if not extremely dangerous.
I also tried to use it with the least intrusive "intelligent preset" which should allow the driver to cut the corners on twisty roads. However, it doesn't work as described. It reacts on every line on the road and makes it impossible to drive normally on empty back roads.

This is one of those features that is law-enforced by the EU bureaucracy due to increased number of hopelessly distracted smartphone addicted drivers that cannot stay focused on anything for more than 20 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #101
jbarba
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: G21 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarba View Post
Exactly what I did. Disabled it a week after I bought the car. (I waited a week to give it a chance to prove me wrong.)

However, for us driving the twisty roads of the mediterranean regions this lane keeping feature is utterly useless, if not extremely dangerous.
I also tried to use it with the least intrusive "intelligent preset" which should allow the driver to cut the corners on twisty roads. However, it doesn't work as described. It reacts on every line on the road and makes it impossible to drive normally on empty back roads.

This is one of those features that is law-enforced by the EU bureaucracy due to increased number of hopelessly distracted smartphone addicted drivers that cannot stay focused on anything for more than 20 seconds.
bourocrats normally dont take twisty, dirty and wricked rural road like us.
Personally, i dont want a car that take decissions over me. This is implicitly dangerous.
Appreciate 1
Calamari208.50
      11-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #102
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
This is one of those features that is law-enforced by the EU bureaucracy
Huh? Isn't the package an optional extra, even in EU countries?

P.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #103
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post

P.
On some cars, yes, so it's certainly not mandated by the EU. That's just another example of someone bashing the EU without any evidence.

On my 330e it's standard and it's bloody annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 03:03 PM   #104
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
P.
Basic lane departure warning and lane-keeping system is standard on all G20s sold in Europe. We're not talking about the assisted driving Pro package which is an optional extra.

In 2019 European commision adopted a new Road safety agreement. Few details below:
"As of 2022 new safety technologies will become mandatory in European vehicles to protect passengers, pedestrians and cyclists."
"The new mandatory safety features include (see full list here):
- For cars, vans, trucks and buses: warning of driver drowsiness and distraction (e.g. smartphone use while driving), intelligent speed assistance, reversing safety with camera or sensors, and data recorder in case of an accident (‘black box').
- For cars and vans: lane-keeping assistance, advanced emergency braking, and crash-test improved safety belts.
- For trucks and buses: specific requirements to improve the direct vision of bus and truck drivers and to remove blind spots, and systems at the front and side of the vehicle to detect and warn of vulnerable road users, especially when making turns."

Source: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres.../en/IP_19_1793

Last edited by Calamari; 11-22-2020 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 12:19 AM   #105
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
I turned it off the day I got my car. To me it's an annoyance which I prefer not to have
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:46 AM   #106
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Even though I signal literally every lane change and turn I am about to make, and I mean before I make it, not as I do so, or afterwards, as so many US drivers do... I can appreciate LKA on long US interstate drives which is where drifting over can occur because of fatigue. Even then, just the steering wheel vibration is better than the sudden correction. Beyond that, I don’t want any form of autonomous capability on my cars.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13284.00
      11-21-2020, 11:55 PM   #107
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Good safety tech poorly executed. As it's too aggressive even in medium response mode it's highly dangerous. I have it turned off. I use blinkers which look quite cool.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 12:43 AM   #108
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Yeah it startled me when I had it on pulled me hard almost causing me to crash . I've had it off since
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 06:17 AM   #109
Hoof Hearted
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318i Msport

I frequently travel along a road near my house which has a 60 limit. It is common that I drift out to overtake cyclists and parked cars. If there is no other traffic on the road I don't think about indicating. It is infuriating that the car attempts to crash into these things that I was taking action to avoid. It wouldn't be so bad if I could configure the speed at which the LDWS activates. 40mph is too slow. I'm in the UK so this feature can't be permanently disabled. Don't suppose this can be coded?

There was one time that I tried squeezing into the side of the road in order to avoid a truck coming in the opposite direction. Unfortunately there was a white line in the gutter. So the car tried pushing me back out into the path of the oncoming truck. It's enough to make a cat laugh.

Last edited by Hoof Hearted; 02-11-2021 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 06:45 AM   #110
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
I frequently travel along a road near my house which has a 60 limit. It is common that I drift out to overtake cyclists and parked cars. If there is no other traffic on the road I don't think about indicating. It is infuriating that the car attempts to crash into these things that I was taking action to avoid. It wouldn't be so bad if I could configure the speed at which the LDWS activates. 40mph is too slow. I'm in the UK so this feature can't be permanently disabled. Don't suppose this can be coded?

There was one time that I tried squeezing into the side of the road in order to avoid a truck coming in the opposite direction. Unfortunately there was a white line in the gutter. So the car tried pushing me back out into the path of the oncoming truck. It's enough to make a cat laugh.

So you don't have the setting for turning off the steering intervention like other countries do?