Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications 2021 Flashing.... Bad News for now...

11-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #23
Musaabi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by H433x0n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
It was explained to me differently (or maybe I heard things differently) but I'll go with what you said (because you seem more in the know vs me)....cool thanks for the info and clarification
Really? That's odd.

both 2020 & 2021 use the Bosch MG1CS201 DME with the Tricore Aurix processor. I own a 2021 M340i and there's a 2020 M340i at work.

For the bootmode read/write exploit, this was patched by Bosch in ~August 2020. This was a global update for all of their ECUs, for all manufacturers (VAG, Mercedes, BMW, etc). This even effects new MEVD17 ECUs (previous gen Bosch ECU) like what's in the F87 M2. This was presumably to keep their customer's happy since they likely got the contract with various OEMs partially due to their updated/upgraded security features implemented in the MG1 family of ECUs.

If you or anybody has any questions about any of this feel free to ask.
Theoretically, wouldn't it be possible to put a 2019/20 ECU into a 2021 model since that could be at least bench unlocked then? I just bought a cat less DP and now I'm debating on returning it if it's going to take (estimated) a year to break this lock
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #24
Vmaxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaabi View Post
Theoretically, wouldn't it be possible to put a 2019/20 ECU into a 2021 model since that could be at least bench unlocked then? I just bought a cat less DP and now I'm debating on returning it if it's going to take (estimated) a year to break this lock
No, because the 2021 have the mild hybrid system.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 03:36 PM   #25
Musaabi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaabi View Post
No, because the 2021 have the mild hybrid system.
I don't see how that's an issue. The ecu can be cloned to a new one. If it's the same hardware, the only difference is the programming on it which can be adjusted by the tuners. At least that my hypothesis so don't quote me
Appreciate 0