Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications 2021 Flashing.... Bad News for now...

11-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #23
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by H433x0n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
It was explained to me differently (or maybe I heard things differently) but I'll go with what you said (because you seem more in the know vs me)....cool thanks for the info and clarification
Really? That's odd.

both 2020 & 2021 use the Bosch MG1CS201 DME with the Tricore Aurix processor. I own a 2021 M340i and there's a 2020 M340i at work.

For the bootmode read/write exploit, this was patched by Bosch in ~August 2020. This was a global update for all of their ECUs, for all manufacturers (VAG, Mercedes, BMW, etc). This even effects new MEVD17 ECUs (previous gen Bosch ECU) like what's in the F87 M2. This was presumably to keep their customer's happy since they likely got the contract with various OEMs partially due to their updated/upgraded security features implemented in the MG1 family of ECUs.

If you or anybody has any questions about any of this feel free to ask.
Theoretically, wouldn't it be possible to put a 2019/20 ECU into a 2021 model since that could be at least bench unlocked then? I just bought a cat less DP and now I'm debating on returning it if it's going to take (estimated) a year to break this lock
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #24
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaabi View Post
Theoretically, wouldn't it be possible to put a 2019/20 ECU into a 2021 model since that could be at least bench unlocked then? I just bought a cat less DP and now I'm debating on returning it if it's going to take (estimated) a year to break this lock
No, because the 2021 have the mild hybrid system.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #25
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaabi View Post
No, because the 2021 have the mild hybrid system.
I don't see how that's an issue. The ecu can be cloned to a new one. If it's the same hardware, the only difference is the programming on it which can be adjusted by the tuners. At least that my hypothesis so don't quote me
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #26
iiSonnyii
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m340i

I assume no one has unlocked the dme yet...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #27
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiSonnyii View Post
I assume no one has unlocked the dme yet...
Not yet.

I’ve heard Q1 2021 but who knows

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #28
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Clipper View Post
Not yet.

I’ve heard Q1 2021 but who knows
Thats actually promising if Q1 2021 is accurate. I was thinking it was going to take a year or close to it as mentioned in this thread.

I'd be okay with having a flash by spring/summer this year coming.

Where did you hear that if you dont mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #29
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post
Thats actually promising if Q1 2021 is accurate. I was thinking it was going to take a year or close to it as mentioned in this thread.

I'd be okay with having a flash by spring/summer this year coming.

Where did you hear that if you dont mind me asking?
Reaching out to different tuners. I wont say who specifically mentioned Q1 and I wouldnt say my word is matter of fact either.

I believe it when I see it and remain hopeful and thankful until then.

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 1
russell21147.00
      12-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #30
GD1981
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

The other day I asked a local tuner here in NJ and the guy pretty much told me it can either be tomorrow or 6 months from now.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 04:52 PM   #31
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Other threads on it. Use a JB4 for now to have fun. Add in a back end flash map later once they crack it. They always crack them eventually!

JB4 is really easy to install. The basic setup is 3 connections, TMAP, MAP and CANbus (the real difference maker tuning wise!).
Dave?

Thinking about just going this route for the time being.

I've read mixed reviews on the JB4 for the MY21 such as it only improves dyno numbers and launch but 1/4 is same or worse than stock.

Any feedback regarding those statements? I'm a pretty avid 1/4 mile'r myself and rarely, if every go out to the tracks like Thunderhill

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 11:16 AM   #32
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

I haven't seen any MY21 times posted or at least anyone saying they were from MY21 but don't see why you'd have any problems. Unlike the other systems JB4 has EWG control.

Throw it on and do some measurements. If you're not happy with it return it or sell it.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2021, 02:38 AM   #33
iiSonnyii
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m340i

Quote:
Dave?

Thinking about just going this route for the time being.

I've read mixed reviews on the JB4 for the MY21 such as it only improves dyno numbers and launch but 1/4 is same or worse than stock.

Any feedback regarding those statements? I'm a pretty avid 1/4 mile'r myself and rarely, if every go out to the tracks like Thunderhill
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but have read a few post the gain from jb4 for our vehicles are not worth it.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #34
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiSonnyii View Post
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but have read a few post the gain from jb4 for our vehicles are not worth it.
Fake news there, they recently posted before/after G20 dragy times. Was huge gains JB4 only.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #35
EDMG20
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i M-Sport {THP}

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post
Spoke to a few people over the last few days at some of the top companies that flash our cars. The 2021 model 340 is not tunable at the moment. On top of the 2020 anti tuning software that could be overcome with a bench unlock, there is a new modification in the DME that doesn't allow a bench unlock or flash to work.

I was told that these same tuners are trying to work around it, but not to expect anything for a little while, as its going to take time IF its able to be done at all.

I was hoping to flash my car soon. Oh well. I have to wait now.

Anyone else hear anything about this? Any vendors with anymore info they can provide please?
Talked to the folks at protunning freaks (BM3) and they are saying the same thing... its really bad for customers to spend $600+ on a flash tune that is unusable. Even if you bench unlock the DME, there is a chance BMW will update your car and relock it.. very frustrating. Protunning freaks said they can bench unlock my DME for free.. just have to pay $120 total for shipping....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 08:09 AM   #36
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMG20 View Post
Talked to the folks at protunning freaks (BM3) and they are saying the same thing... its really bad for customers to spend $600+ on a flash tune that is unusable. Even if you bench unlock the DME, there is a chance BMW will update your car and relock it.. very frustrating. Protunning freaks said they can bench unlock my DME for free.. just have to pay $120 total for shipping....
The 2021 model year DME cannot even be unlocked to be tuned at this time. They are working on a solution now... its only a matter of time until someone cracks the 2021 DME. Once they do we will all be a little bit happier I think. I personally cannot wait to have my car flashed to stage 2.
Appreciate 1
MBM3401022.50
      01-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #37
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fake news there, they recently posted before/after G20 dragy times. Was huge gains JB4 only.

Not calling you out at all or disputing this but can you link to the thread? I'd like to read it please

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:16 PM   #38
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Not calling you out at all or disputing this but can you link to the thread? I'd like to read it please
I don't recall where I've seen it here, but I've seen posts in a few places online - https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63688.

What you'll generally find is pre-DME lock people were recommending a flash tunes over boost controllers, etc. However, all I've seen of late are those same people that have unlocked DME's with a flash tune continue to recommend that over JB4 and others - not aware of or being ignorant of the fact that newer BMW's (and Supra's for that matter) have no option of flash tunes right now.

That said, I just purchased JB+ (because I'm in the same boat, locked DME), will try that out and if that seems promising, which I suspect it will be, I will likely upgrade to JB4.

I have seen nothing but good results for JB4 and other modifiers. I think there's certainly a YMWV aspect to it depending on what boost setting you're on, your fuel being used, etc. on the types of results you get. For the money - you can't go wrong trying JB+/JB4 and just return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #39
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

I had a JB4 on my E90 and it was okay, definitely better than stock but it was too "safe" for me if that makes sense? LOTS of CEL because I only have access to 91ACN and didnt realize at the time how close I was to E85.

With that said, I'd definitely be willing to go the JB4 route, not against it, just dont want to put out $700+ for the JB4, EWG, and monitoring app just to spin the tires and not see any real results at Sonoma Raceway.

Would love to see how the JB+ goes.

I'm definitely getting the itch to go faster with the lack of rain and Sonoma's 2021 season around the corner.

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 1
EDMG2076.50
      01-08-2021, 05:32 PM   #40
EDMG20
Private
Rep

Quote:
I had a JB4 on my E90 and it was okay, definitely better than stock but it was too "safe" for me if that makes sense? LOTS of CEL because I only have access to 91ACN and didnt realize at the time how close I was to E85.

With that said, I'd definitely be willing to go the JB4 route, not against it, just dont want to put out $700+ for the JB4, EWG, and monitoring app just to spin the tires and not see any real results at Sonoma Raceway.

I'm definitely getting the itch to go faster with the lack of rain and Sonoma's 2021 season around the corner.
I have a jb plus set to max boost, and I can confidently say it's not that noticeable compared to stock... I also ran a BM3 stage 2 with a downpipe and that was so good especially now the summer time.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 11:54 PM   #41
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Quote:

I have a jb plus set to max boost, and I can confidently say it's not that noticeable compared to stock... I also ran a BM3 stage 2 with a downpipe and that was so good especially now the summer time.
Quote:
Quote:

I think with JB, less could be more in terms of adding boost. From the feedback I've read, people have better luck and response overall from the car when it's not turned all the way up. I'll be trying it out over the next few weeks at various settings to see. Of note - mine showed up today and was set past the 3 o'clock position (it's supposed to come pre-set at 3o'clock - it was set closer to 4-5 o'clock). I set it just past 3-3.5 position.

On first drive, throttle felt slower/sluggish at low speeds, 5-30mph. After a few miles it picked up a bit in response. Going to take it for a spin tomorrow again, then turn it down to 2.5-3 o'clock position. Then all the way up to 6 o'clock.
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2021, 02:24 AM   #42
EDMG20
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrant64 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I think with JB, less could be more in terms of adding boost. From the feedback I've read, people have better luck and response overall from the car when it's not turned all the way up. I'll be trying it out over the next few weeks at various settings to see. Of note - mine showed up today and was set past the 3 o'clock position (it's supposed to come pre-set at 3o'clock - it was set closer to 4-5 o'clock). I set it just past 3-3.5 position.

On first drive, throttle felt slower/sluggish at low speeds, 5-30mph. After a few miles it picked up a bit in response. Going to take it for a spin tomorrow again, then turn it down to 2.5-3 o'clock position. Then all the way up to 6 o'clock.
Yes that could possibly be true! I have had a JB+ for a year now and have tried various boost numbers. Don't get me wrong there is a difference but for $200 USD I think I should have just gone with BM3 from the start. That being said for the ease of install, removal and slight increase in performance I'd say a JB+ isn't the worst option out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #43
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes that could possibly be true! I have had a JB+ for a year now and have tried various boost numbers. Don't get me wrong there is a difference but for $200 USD I think I should have just gone with BM3 from the start. That being said for the ease of install, removal and slight increase in performance I'd say a JB+ isn't the worst option out there.
Are you a B48 or B58? The B48 makes tiny power stock and while it makes more tuned it's not like huge gains or anything. JB4 adds like 30whp on map2. JB+ I bet is a little lower.

B58 is an entirely different animal.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 01:51 PM   #44
EDMG20
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you a B48 or B58? The B48 makes tiny power stock and while it makes more tuned it's not like huge gains or anything. JB4 adds like 30whp on map2. JB+ I bet is a little lower.

B58 is an entirely different animal.

Unfortunately a B48, with a downpipe. I know the B58 is an absolute monster. That's why I ran a Bootmod3 Stage 2 in the summer and I live in Canada so for the winter I was running a JB+ no stage 2.
Appreciate 0