Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Battery consumption warning

07-17-2020, 03:50 AM   #1
Lfk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series G20

Battery consumption warning

Both yesterday and today I've received this warning when trying to start the car for the first time:

Start engine. Increased power consumption when stationary due to a fault when shutting down the vehicle electronics. If problem recurs, have it checked by your Service Partner.

Any idea? Is the battery gonna die?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
themur
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfk View Post
Both yesterday and today I've received this warning when trying to start the car for the first time:

Start engine. Increased power consumption when stationary due to a fault when shutting down the vehicle electronics. If problem recurs, have it checked by your Service Partner.

Do you happen to have a dash cam installed?

I get this error occasionally but I have a dash cam installed so if I leave the car idle for too long it triggers this.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 10:05 PM   #3
Lfk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themur View Post
Quote:

Do you happen to have a dash cam installed?

I get this error occasionally but I have a dash cam installed so if I leave the car idle for too long it triggers this.
No dash cam or other accessories. Also it seems to have stopped showing this for now (after two days in a row). I went for a ~1 hour drive last night and the auto start/stop didn't stop the engine for the better half of it, supposedly because the battery was still recharging.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 12:25 AM   #4
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:

When the car is parked after driving are you sure everything is turned off i.e radio, aux ventilation etc?

I never lock my car when parked in my garage and had to change a setting in the OS to automatically turn everything off when the car is stopped and drivers door is opened. This way I am sure nothing is left turned on when leaving the car, which could drain power from the battery.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #5
Lfk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
Quote:

When the car is parked after driving are you sure everything is turned off i.e radio, aux ventilation etc?

I never lock my car when parked in my garage and had to change a setting in the OS to automatically turn everything off when the car is stopped and drivers door is opened. This way I am sure nothing is left turned on when leaving the car, which could drain power from the battery.
I have Comfort Access, so when I leave the car it shuts down everything and locks the doors.

Also so far haven't seen the message again (third day), so hopefully it was a one-off thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Auto start stop not working is for me always the first sign of low battery charge. I attach it to my battery maintainer (CTEK) for a refresh and everything works fine after
I seem to get issues after the car sits fallow for a while when i travel for business, it has also done this several times during lockdown.

A previous 330d would set the alarm off when there was low voltage. Seemed to be after 3 to 4 weeks
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #7
jeremycanada
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BWM M340i

Dealer said the car won't charge the battery right, so my car's battery was replaced under warranty. It fixed the issue.
2018 Audi S5-
2020 Bmw M340i
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:33 AM   #8
Lfk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycanada View Post
Dealer said the car won't charge the battery right, so my car's battery was replaced under warranty. It fixed the issue.
I think I've heard that before. Apparently if it goes flat, the car can't properly charge it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 04:42 AM   #9
Lfk
Private
Rep

Happened again. I took the car to the dealership and left it there overnight. Sure enough, today they tell me they can't reproduce the problem and have no idea what could be wrong. They've recharged the battery and want me to pick it up and if it happens again, leave it with them for a few days next time. Pretty sure I'm going to get that message when I pick it up tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 02:29 AM   #10
TFP2000
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Plus

Sorry for bumping this thread - I have been getting the same error message for a couple of months now - it has been back to the dealer three times ... just collected it yesterday after they had it for a week. They say they can’t recreate the error message but on advise from BMW they changed a few parts relating to power distribution and power management.

I’ve used a different Type 2 cable to charge to see if that eliminates the problem .. but alas it’s still there. It comes on after the car has been left charging overnight and fully charged - the range drops. Last night it charged fully and showed 47km of range. I then charged over night and this morning error appeared and range showing as 35km.

My dealer has no idea and can offer no solution at the moment
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:34 AM   #11
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i4 e40, i3 60Ah, G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFP2000 View Post

I’ve used a different Type 2 cable to charge to see if that eliminates the problem .. but alas it’s still there. It comes on after the car has been left charging overnight and fully charged - the range drops.
This is completely unrelated since they were talking about the normal 12v battery and not the high voltage battery for the 330e.
Anyway, that the range drops in colder weather is quite normal, also the range will drop if the battery is cold, meaning that you will get better range if you set the car to complete the charge just before your planned departure since a warm high voltage battery is much more efficient than a cold one.

Scheduling charge and/or pre climate in the app or idrive will improve range a lot in the wintertime.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 02:06 AM   #12
GolanTrevize_86
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i B48B20B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex_G20 View Post
Auto start stop not working is for me always the first sign of low battery charge. I attach it to my battery maintainer (CTEK) for a refresh and everything works fine after
I seem to get issues after the car sits fallow for a while when i travel for business, it has also done this several times during lockdown.

A previous 330d would set the alarm off when there was low voltage. Seemed to be after 3 to 4 weeks
Hi! have same troublesome. I bought the BMW battery charger which seems to be produced by CTEK. Could you tell me how much time does it takes to get fully charged?

Last time 2 hours wasn't enough, had no more time. Previously over 4-5 hours were enough to start working StarStop and installing the new version. In fact i've transferred the new 11.2020.70 version to the car but wasn't able to install it.

Last edited by GolanTrevize_86; 11-23-2020 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #13
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

The CTEK charger is a battery maintainer which is slightly different to a battery charger. The CTEK works slightly differently and charges at much lower rates such that it can be left connected for an extended length of time. I usually leave mine connected for at least 24/36 hours when I give my car a 'top up', and yes, it will take some time to go through the stages.

You will often find CTEK units connected to cars in showrooms to keep the cars alive whilst on display.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
GolanTrevize_86
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i B48B20B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex_G20 View Post
The CTEK charger is a battery maintainer which is slightly different to a battery charger. The CTEK works slightly differently and charges at much lower rates such that it can be left connected for an extended length of time. I usually leave mine connected for at least 24/36 hours when I give my car a 'top up', and yes, it will take some time to go through the stages.

You will often find CTEK units connected to cars in showrooms to keep the cars alive whilst on display.

Ok! Thank you! This is the one everybody has recommended to me, dealership and some users.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolanTrevize_86 View Post
Ok! Thank you! This is the one everybody has recommended to me, dealership and some users.
Even if we are just 'topping up' it can take 4 hours or so, from starting the bulk charge phase.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #16
g21xtro
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2020 - G21 330e xDrive Touring

Saw that message one morning in my new G21 330e with 10/2020 production date.

It did not happen again yet.

Hope this is a software issue. If you are kind and solve this problem somehow please keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 12:41 PM   #17
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
This is super common and nothing to worry about.

BMWs' battery monitoring systems are SUPER sensitive and these type of warnings have been present since the EXX chassis especially during winter times.

Like mentioned above, I also plug my car into battery maintainer as it is not being driven much these days but it would not be uncommon to get a warning after it sits for a couple of days of not being driven.

I never had a dead battery or any other problems besides the warning itself.......and yes, my car has cameras installed and draws much more power in comparison and still no problems
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 05:33 AM   #18
mdefreitas80
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Quote:

I have same issue with my 2019 330i m sport. Taken it into dealer various times and they cannot fault it...... although BMW assist tell me there is faults on it when they run tests. After a few days i get message up saying "battery very low"... so something is obviously draining the battery. No dash cams or anything fitted. Anyone have any ideas as to what it may be?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #19
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdefreitas80 View Post
I have same issue with my 2019 330i m sport. Taken it into dealer various times and they cannot fault it...... although BMW assist tell me there is faults on it when they run tests. After a few days i get message up saying "battery very low"... so something is obviously draining the battery. No dash cams or anything fitted. Anyone have any ideas as to what it may be?
This is an issue many are having.

See this thread https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1707662

Whilst it is relatively easy for me to charge my battery (drive and garage) it must be really frustrating for those who have no easy access to a power point etc.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #20
mdefreitas80
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
This is an issue many are having.

See this thread https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1707662

Whilst it is relatively easy for me to charge my battery (drive and garage) it must be really frustrating for those who have no easy access to a power point etc.
This happens to mine every other day. Dealer changed battery and 2 days later got message appearing. My vehicle is also not the plug in hybrid model, its just a normal 330i petrol.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 06:51 AM   #21
G20 PHEV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330e x-drive

Perhaps, this will go away when the pandemic ends. But, it would be nice if BMW would provide a means of attaching a permanent charge point that could be accessed without opening the hood. For decades, BMW motorcycle riders have been attaching and discreetly hiding battery leads for maintenance chargers and accessories.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #22
mdefreitas80
Registered
Rep

Quote:

Did you ever get this checked out by a dealer? Did it get sorted? If so... what was the issue?
Appreciate 0