Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What is that noise? Identifying rattling noises

10-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #309
3erMan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

OK, here's my noise.

When I am driving over a rolled curb at the end of a driveway, I'll go at an angle to prevent the big "thud" from two tires hitting at once. That causes a small amount of flex. At the rear window, near the vent on the window shelf, there is some creaking. I'm thinking it's just the vent plastic insert. Any way to test this theory? Could it be something else?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #310
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erMan View Post
OK, here's my noise.

When I am driving over a rolled curb at the end of a driveway, I'll go at an angle to prevent the big "thud" from two tires hitting at once. That causes a small amount of flex. At the rear window, near the vent on the window shelf, there is some creaking. I'm thinking it's just the vent plastic insert. Any way to test this theory? Could it be something else?
I've had this and I found it came from the back middle seat sides. It's kinda like a plastic ticking sound.

I thought it was coming from the black plastic trim at the back where it touches the window but the sound has not come back for a month or so after I put some extra rubber padding where the centre backrest meets the other backrests.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #311
GaoKS
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 Raptor

If you own a BMW or have owned plenty.. then you know exactly the rattle I'm talking about.

Rear decklid. :

BMW Past Rides: 2023 G80 Comp, 2023 G80 xDrive, 2021 M3 Comp, 2020 M340i, 2019 540i, 2016 M4, 2016 535i, 2008 545i
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #312
Jerrytarg6_m340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 bmw m3 comp xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
Had the car for 2months now. There is a rattling noise coming from either the trunk or back seats anyone had any luck identifying the mystery creaking sound in their G20??
Passenger head rest. Try putting it down. That was it for me
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 06:13 AM   #313
MiamiPunisher
Miami Punisher
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M

rattling in back seat area

I had the same thing happen after my tints were done. It was the headrests. All three need to be raised a little. in the full down position they will click at every bump.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #314
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
I'm so happy I created this thread
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
3erMan153.00
      11-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #315
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Sometimes I wonder if it's my hips and old bones creaking given the car is rather quiet
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 11:15 PM   #316
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
I have more of a creaking sound coming from the sunroof rather than a rattle.
I finally took my car to the dealership for the creaking moonroof. They have had the car for more than a 1 week and are unable to figure out what's causing the noise. The service advisor told me today they will be contacting BMW NA for advice.
Appreciate 1
greekcs773.00
      11-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #317
ashokgadeking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
I finally took my car to the dealership for the creaking moonroof. They have had the car for more than a 1 week and are unable to figure out what's causing the noise. The service advisor told me today they will be contacting BMW NA for advice.
Another user in this thread found out that it was caused by warped glass in the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #318
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by minotaur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibhooligan View Post
So I have an intermittent rattle that sounds more like a chirp or cricket sound almost every morning when starting the car until the car reaches running temp. It literally sounds like a cricket is in the car. Sometimes it's barely noticeable (Not too frequent or loud) and other times it's quite noticeable (More frequent and louder). I have been unable to pinpoint the location. It almost seems to be in the drivers footwell area or the area below the dashboard somewhere.

What's driving me insane is that it's present only until the car reaches running temperature. After that it is not present for the entire rest of the day. Completely quiet even on the roughest roads. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Someone in a previous thread said it was a "normal" transmission sound.
I have the exact same issue. Pretty much from day 1 I noticed the cricket noise especially in the morning when it's a little colder but it goes away when I drive for a bit.

When it does happen I can only hear it when I accelerate.
Yes. We must have the same noise. mine also only happens when I accelerate.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #319
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Quote:
Finally got the car back after 2 weeks, and the noise is gone! They had to change the moonroof cassette.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #320
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I too have been experiencing the creaking sunroof issue. I'll bring it to their attention at my next service.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #321
Thm23
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappati21 View Post
Got my car back from the dealership and there's as apparently a note from BMW for the sunroof creaking sound, they cleaned the sunroof seal and applied grease on it.

So far so good, I don't hear any noise coming from the sunroof.
Hi
I am also based in Paris and I think I have the same issue. Can you communicate which dealership fixed the issue in PM?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:35 AM   #322
josemigueltagorito
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G22 430i

Greetings from Spain,

I have a bmw 430i g22, and after 1 week of receiving it new, I began to hear a sound like a click of a pen coming from the trunk, in the left rear area. With the rear seats folded down, the noise is clearly higher.

At first I thought it was an electrical noise from a relay in the rear REM. I took it to the dealer and after complaining I got the fuse and relay box replaced. The noise remained the same. Then with the help of a trusted mechanic we disassembled all the plastics and upholstery in the boot area, the parcel shelf as well, plastics for the side airbag and rear armrests.

We have done a lot of testing, one driving and the other lying in the rear trying to identify the noise. There is no way to find out where the exact source of the noise is. My suspicion is that it is the structure of the parcel shelf, which flexes, and generates that click noise at certain frequencies of vibration. We have put more sponge and somehow the click is softened but it is not completely eliminated. I still hear it in the cockpit from time to time.

I do not know if someone is going through the same and can guide me on how to act?

Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 07:26 AM   #323
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by josemigueltagorito View Post
Greetings from Spain,

I have a bmw 430i g22, and after 1 week of receiving it new, I began to hear a sound like a click of a pen coming from the trunk, in the left rear area. With the rear seats folded down, the noise is clearly higher...
Since I starting this thread with the objective of identifying and fixing the speaker rattle; I have become quite familiar with a lot of the creaks clicks and rattles of the G20. However, I am not familiar with the construction of the G 22, specifically the trunk/boot. If you would not mind taking a picture of the the upper part of the trunk where the cables that for the seat folding mechanism are should be located would help with the investigation!

Additionally, if there is a way you can record the sound and upload it, this will assist as well. I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this mystery!
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 03:16 PM   #324
Camburano
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Hi guys,

Can anyone help with this noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phT_lAyohJo

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #325
M340i saphire
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Actually I just re-read your message and it triggered something. I have heard a vibration from the front, but only under fairly hard acceleration. I thought it was coming from the speaker.
Yeah!! Am not the only one that has that problem. I brought it up the my dealership and he said due to the weather conditions the plastic expand and thats the cause. I have mine for close to 2years now and now it every acceleration on sport mode am hearing the vibration in the dashboard. I also notice the same sound when I was in their loaner car which was the same model m340i. When you push down on the dashboard with the plastic part you can hear a creaking sound. When I accelerate when pushing down on the plastic dash the sound is gone. Anyone knows what can be done about this??
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #326
BmwDriverStockholm
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M-sport sedan

I think I've found a source of annoying creaking noise coming from around the dashboard. I have this noise sometimes while driving on certain surfaces faster than 60 km/h.

I've been touching everything that I could touch while the car had a cruise control activated and after of number of weeks I think I've nailed it. The noise is coming from the steering column shroud (which I think is made from leather or similar material) where it touches the plastic just behind the steering wheel. The steering wheel is adjustable so we can move it in different directions. Because I'm tall and I like low sitting position the steering wheel is kind of extended and quite low in its position. There is a shroud that cover steering column and when I've touched in that area the sound disappeared.

I need to confirm my theory and share some pictures but I'm so exited that I want to share this right away =)

Happy driving!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 11:17 PM   #327
3erMan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Finally got the car back after 2 weeks, and the noise is gone! They had to change the moonroof cassette.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
I too have been experiencing the creaking sunroof issue. I'll bring it to their attention at my next service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thm23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappati21 View Post
Got my car back from the dealership and there's as apparently a note from BMW for the sunroof creaking sound, they cleaned the sunroof seal and applied grease on it.

So far so good, I don't hear any noise coming from the sunroof.
Hi
I am also based in Paris and I think I have the same issue. Can you communicate which dealership fixed the issue in PM?

Thanks
Bump.

I'm getting the dreaded sunroof creak and am about to schedule a service visit. Any updates, recent experiences, etc. are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 11:20 PM   #328
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erMan View Post
Bump.

I'm getting the dreaded sunroof creak and am about to schedule a service visit. Any updates, recent experiences, etc. are appreciated.
if its a creak rubber conditioner around the seals usually does the trick
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 01:46 AM   #329
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Mine is 3/2021 build 330i from Mexico, and the car is Lexus-quiet, with no noticeable squeak and rattle for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 02:13 AM   #330
Asterix
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
if its a creak rubber conditioner around the seals usually does the trick
I have had creak I though first coming from rear seats , boot or something in the boot . After trying unsucessfully a lot of things, and after reading a lot on this forum about sunroof issues , I finally applied rubber care gel to the sunroof surround seal => problem not solved !!!! and then I've seen that there is a another seal difficult to access that is located at the back of the roof opening , put some rubber care gel on it and since no creak noise anymore!!!!
Appreciate 0