Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions The M340i is a brilliant car

11-24-2020, 09:39 PM   #23
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 RWD

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Yeah, the Tesla's will smoke any BMW from a standstill. A Model-3 can also hold it's own on the track really well for a while. They are great cars. That's why I switched to a Tesla from my old BMW 335i. But I test drove the M340i recently and I prefer it to my Model S. I also prefer the M340i over the Tesla Model-3 Performance that I test drove. The interior of the M340i is nicer, the handling is way better, the feel of the car is way, way better, etc. I guess I also miss the engine noise that adds to the fun of driving. Somehow the BMW just has more character while the Tesla does feel like an appliance on wheels. I don't miss trips to the gas stations though. Overall, I'm fairly sure I will switch back either to the M340i or I will wait for the M3 to become more widely available. These cars are fantastic.
I am so old school. I can't live without the noise. For the same reason as soon as race cars go to full battery power I will be gone. I already miss the V-10 days. Will NEVER watch Formula E and won't drive a car that only runs on batteries. Fast is fine, but fast and loud is better.
      11-25-2020, 12:02 AM   #24
mfdutra
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurehero View Post
If you code it, it'll do lane change as well. Just FYI
Mine does that from the factory, and it's SO MUCH better than the Tesla at doing so. The Tesla is irritating at times. There's nobody around, or maybe a car half a mile behind, you command a lane change and it simply ignores you, keeping the turn signal on for several seconds before giving up.

The BMW is very deterministic. If the blind spot light is off, it will change lanes. If it's on, it won't. That simple.

Previously: 2021 M340i, 2019 Tesla Model X, 2018 540i, 2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #25
mfdutra
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
I have a Model S. The instant acceleration is amazing. It's unreal how fast this car is off the line. And it's nice to charge it at home and never go to a gas station. But I feel the same as you. Everything else is better on the BMW.

I feel crazy for wanting to trade my Model S and pay more for the M340i.
I've never driven a Model S, but I'm sure some models are faster than the M340i. The P ones are obviously faster, and that includes the Model X as well probably.

My Model X is the long range 100 kw one. The M340i is faster, although the X feels faster off the line, unless you use launch control on the bimmer. But once the M340i spools up and puts all the torque down (mine is xDrive), it takes off and pulls well ahead. This car is a beast if you keep the engine where it wants to be.

The thing that scares me the most in the X is braking. The car is way too heavy and I don't feel very safe if I have to brake hard. The BMW brakes are excellent.

Previously: 2021 M340i, 2019 Tesla Model X, 2018 540i, 2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:26 AM   #26
obscurehero
Private
Rep
Drives: for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdutra View Post
Mine does that from the factory, and it's SO MUCH better than the Tesla at doing so. The Tesla is irritating at times. There's nobody around, or maybe a car half a mile behind, you command a lane change and it simply ignores you, keeping the turn signal on for several seconds before giving up.

The BMW is very deterministic. If the blind spot light is off, it will change lanes. If it's on, it won't. That simple.
I didn't know that they were doing that now! That's awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #27
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
Hi All,

Not sure if this belongs here but figured I'd share. I was in LA visiting some friends and getting some shoots in when I had an opportunity to shoot my friend's cousin's M340i. Upon first glance (first time seeing in person) I was absolutely blown away at how good it looks. It's sharp from every angle and especially menacing-looking from the front. The Alpine white with the black accents makes it all the much better.

Although I wasn't able to drive it, I went for a ride and could tell it had some pep to its step. My next car list was narrowed down to strictly a F8x, but now this seriously has me thinking twice Absolutely brilliant cosmetically, and performance-wise. Enjoy.

If you like my work, please feel free to follow my Instagram. It would mean a lot.
@jdine_media
Great pics! I'll share a quick story.

Work went back on lockdown, and I've adapted the hermit lifestyle for my family's sake so I haven't had a chance to drive my car much.

I happened to spy an E90 like the one I had before, in Titanium Silver and was struck how good looking it was. I hated the looks before I had one and suddenly seeing one again was astonished how nice they look now.

I thought about my car, she's super aggressive but gorgeous? I wasn't so sure.

Yet when I parked, I did the involuntary look-back. That's when I knew - I loved her.

I can spend all day pointing out faults (steering feel, automatic vs. manual, the ************* reverse tach) and spend the next day talking about all her strengths (insane power, amazing cornering, the magic diff, the beautiful interior, the emphasis on safety for my family, the awesome tech and so much more).

This is a special car. It's my 1M. It's the final expensive but accessible driver's car before stepping into the raw world of true M. Next time, another stickshift, another toy, a true M car. But this will stay as my daily for the next ten years. It is that good!
Appreciate 2
Gdiddy23905.50
bmwdrive461.00