Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Bimmercode cable or adapter?

07-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #23
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Joedeejay ,

Agree that Bimmercode is wicked fast with ENet cable!!

Under Settings and clicking on the adapter, there is no ENet adapter listed -- that's why I tried MHD ENET (Black) -- which worked fine. As a beta user, I have Bimmercode 2.26.1-6177

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 11:00 AM   #24
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Mine doesn't work. Stupid OnePlus. I tried both the enet adapter option as well as Mhd enet. No luck. I need a new phone

And RSnic. Mine has the option for enet.
Attached Images

2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #25
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
VipinLJ ,

I'm loving my Samsung S8 even more -- not only is a car key, but also watch MLB.TV from phone to TV -- and Ethernet connection!

BTW, under Settings, Connnecttions, More Connection Settings, Ethernet (at bottom of list) is greyed out, until I connect adapter

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #26
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
VipinLJ ,

I'm loving my Samsung S8 even more -- not only is a car key, but also watch MLB.TV from phone to TV -- and Ethernet connection!

BTW, under Settings, Connnecttions, More Connection Settings, Ethernet (at bottom of list) is greyed out, until I connect adapter
I exchanged my S8+ for the one plus 6T. I regret it now. Should’ve stayed with the Samsung for the reasons you mentioned. I’m going to look at a new galaxy today. Just for this reason
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
RSnic657.50
      07-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #27
Joedeejay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Quote:
Joedeejay ,

Agree that Bimmercode is wicked fast with ENet cable!!

Under Settings and clicking on the adapter, there is no ENet adapter listed -- that's why I tried MHD ENET (Black) -- which worked fine. As a beta user, I have Bimmercode 2.26.1-6177
Im running the Public version and on the exact same version. Odd that you don't have Enet cable though. Maybe uninstall and reinstalling the app might work if you are bothered about getting the option for it. Just keep a copy of your coding backups first.
Appreciate 1
RSnic657.50
      07-29-2020, 05:13 PM   #28
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Just checked BC using my new S20. Holy hell. It’s unbelievably fast!!! I finished coding a couple of times in the time it would've taken the Bluetooth adapter to read the module. I so love it!
2017 Audi A7 Prestige

Last edited by VipinLJ; 07-30-2020 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 2
RSnic657.50
A6bullet336.00
      07-30-2020, 01:23 AM   #29
Joedeejay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Just checked BC using my new S20. Holy bell. Ita u believably fast!!! I finished coding a couple of times in the time it would've taken the Bluetooth adapter to read the module. I so love it!
I couldn't believe it either hah.

So far only Samsung and anything on Google OS seem to have ethernet options for static IP. Other phone makers don't seem to have ethernet options. Next phone is definitely a Samsung now, tablet will do for the mean time
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      07-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #30
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive M Sport (G20)

OMG bimmerCode just got even better and a lot faster... i was using BT before and it was a drag waiting for it to load....
Appreciate 1
A6bullet336.00
      09-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #31
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Updates

Hi,

When coding with Bimmercode, I have switched to ENet cable with an Anker LAN to USB-C adapter; and, as many have already commented, it is lightning fast compared to either its use with a Bluetooth OBDII adapter or even E-Sys.

Yesterday, after getting my car back from a service that included a software update, I set up to code the items I had previously coded and discovered something that I'd like to pass along. A few days ago, I got a Bimmercode App update from the Google Play store; of course, all that really is a shortcut that has the app update its coding info just as you connect to the car. Here's the rub. For some reason with ENet cable & adapter, it couldn't receive the update. After 3 attempts, I grabbed my Bluetooth OBDII adapter and plugged it into OBDII; then opened Bimmercode app and tapped on CONNECT. App updated perfectly. I then disconnected and reconnected the cable adapter and went about my coding without a hitch.

BTW, the software update was for version 07/2020.45. Interestingly, it now includes as Climate rules/Habits the automatic steering wheel heating and river's seat heating that we had to code until now -- among several other good things, like Drive Recorder, Android Auto, tail lights included in DRL (please see Android Auto thread).

Hope that helps!

BMW CCA
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1936.50
rickkap37.50
      09-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #32
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive M Sport (G20)

Well i best hold on to my Bluetooth OBDII adapter then... just in case... great to see that the update is including seat heating distribution
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #33
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

When coding with Bimmercode, I have switched to ENet cable with an Anker LAN to USB-C adapter; and, as many have already commented, it is lightning fast compared to either its use with a Bluetooth OBDII adapter or even E-Sys.

Yesterday, after getting my car back from a service that included a software update, I set up to code the items I had previously coded and discovered something that I'd like to pass along. A few days ago, I got a Bimmercode App update from the Google Play store; of course, all that really is a shortcut that has the app update its coding info just as you connect to the car. Here's the rub. For some reason with ENet cable & adapter, it couldn't receive the update. After 3 attempts, I grabbed my Bluetooth OBDII adapter and plugged it into OBDII; then opened Bimmercode app and tapped on CONNECT. App updated perfectly. I then disconnected and reconnected the cable adapter and went about my coding without a hitch.

BTW, the software update was for version 07/2020.45. Interestingly, it now includes as Climate rules/Habits the automatic steering wheel heating and river's seat heating that we had to code until now -- among several other good things, like Drive Recorder, Android Auto, tail lights included in DRL (please see Android Auto thread).

Hope that helps!
Mine updated a few days ago. When I get an update in Google play, I update it there and then open BC and it updated by itself. I don't connect it to my car. Maybe that works? It has never failed to update it, even with my ENET cable.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
RSnic657.50
      09-15-2020, 06:40 AM   #34
Joedeejay
Private First Class
Rep

It won't update when you have the enet cable connected because that method turns Internet access off from the phone and hence can't download the update from Bimmercodes server. The OBD adapter will have worked because that's Bluetooth with mobile data still active/WiFi connection.
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1936.50
RSnic657.50
      10-07-2020, 04:20 AM   #35
Games Goblin
Registered
Rep
Drives: Skoda Octavia II

Unable to get BimmerCode working on an ENET Cable (Android)

Hi all

I am trying to get BimmerCode to work on my Android - it's a Levono TAB V7 on Android 9. I have an E-NET cable and I bought a USB to LAN adapter (this one)

I tested if the USB-LAN adapter works properly on my tablet by plugging it into my router and turned on Airplane mode - sure enough it worked well - I was able to browse the internet with the Wi-Fi switched off

My tablet has the option to assign static IP etc

I followed the guide on the bimmercode website (LINK)

But I'm unable to connect to the car (an F07)

Here are some screenshots

My tablet has a separate settings page for the ethernet connection

There is an option to assign static IP

I used this app to see more info about the wired ethernet connection to the phone

Here are some screen shots when it's connected to my router:

It picks up other devices on the network

Here is the screen shot when connected to the car

I tried another android tablet (a MiPad 4), but that did not have any option to set a static IP, though the LAN adapter worked on it.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a limitation of my tablet?

Thank you for your inputs

Best Regards
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #36
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Hi all

I am trying to get BimmerCode to work on my Android - it's a Levono TAB V7 on Android 9. I have an E-NET cable and I bought a USB to LAN adapter (this one)

I tested if the USB-LAN adapter works properly on my tablet by plugging it into my router and turned on Airplane mode - sure enough it worked well - I was able to browse the internet with the Wi-Fi switched off

I used this app to see more info about the wired ethernet connection to the phone

I tried another android tablet (a MiPad 4), but that did not have any option to set a static IP, though the LAN adapter worked on it.

Best Regards
With my Galaxy, for some reason, I need to turn on WiFi as well as put the phone in airplane mode. If WiFi isn't on, it won't let me connect to my car and gives me the same message you got.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:22 AM   #37
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Just tried it with mine.

I have a Note 8, I configured the ethernet settings to what Bimmercode specified.

At first try it did not connect and gave me an error.

After a few tries, I decided turn off airplane mode and try to reconnect.
That did the trick and the car connected immediately!

As an aside, forget the wireless connectors. Coding with the cable took me a couple of seconds!!! Access to the modules is super quick and actual writing time are super quick.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #38
LittleSamurai
Rep
Drives: F30

I am experiencing the same ENET/LAN-USB C adapter connection issue using the latest Samsung phone and the newest BimmerCode version. Have you found a solution?

Quote:
Hi all

Best Regards
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #39
Games Goblin
Registered
Rep
Drives: Skoda Octavia II

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi all

An update to this -

I mailed BimmerCode support and shared all the details of the connection problem with them - their advice was to lock the car, let it rest for a while and then try again - I tried it - but to no avail.

So, I gave up on the wired ENET connection and bought a modBMW Wi-Fi ENET adapter (it's basically a wireless E-NET cable)

Got BimmerCode to connect with it on the first try - I highly recommend this adapter to anyone facing wired connection issues like I did - no more praying if the USB to ethernet works is compatible with your phone and changing IP settings etc

As a bonus, you can use this adapter with ISTA-D (not tested it myself, but seems nice to have)

Here is a link to the adapter if anyone is interested

modBMW WIFI ENET adapter

I recently bought my mom a new Samsung phone - I'll try the USB to ethernet connection with her phone one last time to see if it's a manufacturer specific issue

Best Regards
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #40
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Hi,

Hope that helps!
I've found that unless you make sure Bluetooth and WiFi are off and your in airplane mode, it won't connect. If you're phone is paired to CarPlay in your car, it'll still be connected after changing to airplane mode, so you need to go into settings and manually turn off WiFi. Then both BimmerCode and BimmerLink spring into life
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #41
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

I managed to get it working, in settings on iOS you have to find BimmerCode and set it to allow connection to the local network.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      11-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #42
thelmers
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
No wired cable for android unfortunately. Only for apple. Best bet is a WiFi enet adapter. Or obdlink or unicarscan if you're going Bluetooth and want access to all modules.

https://bimmercode.app/adapters/
My UnicarScan gives time outs on some ECU's on my 2020 m340i. So I ordered a Enet cable
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #43
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
So, I gave up on the wired ENET connection and bought a modBMW Wi-Fi ENET adapter (it's basically a wireless E-NET cable)

Got BimmerCode to connect with it on the first try - I highly recommend this adapter to anyone facing wired connection issues like I did - no more praying if the USB to ethernet works is compatible with your phone and changing IP settings etc

As a bonus, you can use this adapter with ISTA-D (not tested it myself, but seems nice to have)

Here is a link to the adapter if anyone is interested

modBMW WIFI ENET adapter
Seconding the MHD wifi one as the simplest/surefire solution. No compatibility concerns with wifi. Just turn off bluetooth and take out your SIM card. Takes a few seconds to read/code.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 06:59 AM   #44
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d, 330D(2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedeejay View Post
Would do except I can't either hah. Think their server is down. It was a page to an Anker USB C to Ethernet adapter, and then just a generic page of search results for Enet adapter. The adapter was out of stock in the UK. Taken the plunge and bought the following

Enet Cable

USB C to Ethernet adapter

Edit: page working

Enet adapter link from Bimmercode - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=New+2M+...ef=as_li_ss_tl

USB C to Ethernet from Bimmercode - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S6LYN...amazonuk0f6-21
Hi, i had Esys OBD II cable already. After seeing your post here, i got tempted to try coding using Ethernet Adapter. I ordered Ugreen Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.
Once i received it, i tried to connect it to my car using Xiaomi Mi6 rooted Phone. But i am getting Connection error.
What can i do ? where is the problem ? i tried all the options in Bimmercode app ENET canle, mhd Black/orange... no use

Is it because i didnt buy the Products from above 2 links ? i can see the both the lights in Ethernet socket blink when i connect the cable to my car. but even then i am getting connection error.

Any help would be highly appreicated.
Appreciate 0