Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications First impression on the JB+ on my M340i

11-23-2020, 11:10 PM   #67
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bSwiazzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M340i Pride View Post
wow. very impressive... I am sure that is more LINEAR 28-34 hp on JB4, and more impressively, 60/90 TQ increase on map 1 / 2!

And no, i haven't seen any M340i JB+ dyno yet. So it would be great. However, it isn't too hard to tell the added power with it. For me, 200 well spent.

What do you think of a JB4 with 91 crap so cal gas, NO downpipe? Bad idea? No track time, no drag races for me... Just everyday driving. Would a hard tune like MP be better for that money? They are about the same (600-700 range)
for now i have jb4 with no downpipe and its fine

in my opinion there is no such thing as a "hard" tune unless you as the user decides to make it a "hard" tune

MP from the reviews and what others say is always good so id take an MP stage 2 tune over a jb4 or any plug n play tune anyday
I meant hard tune as in getting into DME unit tune. Jb4 sounds tempting!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:49 PM   #68
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
What do you think of a JB4 with 91 crap so cal gas, NO downpipe? Bad idea? No track time, no drag races for me... Just everyday driving. Would a hard tune like MP be better for that money? They are about the same (600-700 range)
Sorry missed your quote of me until just now.

I do not have any first hand experience with a B58TU, 91 octane and a JB4 so I can't help there - I would simply be speculating and I try not to do that.

That being said what I can tell you is that my car with a Mission Performance tune and 470 wheel HP (so what is that like 525 crank) has power delivery that is linear and so oem like that my 16 year old Daughter just passed her driving test behind the wheel of it. This after having spent most of her practice driving time behind the wheel of our 2003 beater Mazda (130 crank HP) which had a last second mechanical issue so we had to switch cars.

You and I are both in SoCal should you ever want to drive my car you are welcome to visit me in Huntington Beach (we're downtown by the pier) and I'll throw you the keys - I'll drop it to stage 1 and make sure it only has 91 in the tank (which I often do because I don't always want to bother with adding E85) your feedback and impressions would be great to hear and read

Hope this helps a bit

ps- SoCal friends - watch out we have another teen on the road **sigh** off to the BMW Thermal M school for her teen driving class shortly (like my Son)

Last edited by chenry; 11-24-2020 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: forget to mention I would drop it to stage 1
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #69
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Sorry missed your quote of me until just now.

I do not have any first hand experience with a B58TU, 91 octane and a JB4 so I can't help there - I would simply be speculating and I try not to do that.

That being said what I can tell you is that my car with a Mission Performance tune and 470 wheel HP (so what is that like 525 crank) has power delivery that is linear and so oem like that my 16 year old Daughter just passed her driving test behind the wheel of it. This after having spent most of her practice driving time behind the wheel of our 2003 beater Mazda (130 crank HP) which had a last second mechanical issue so we had to switch cars.

You and I are both in SoCal should you ever want to drive my car you are welcome to visit me in Huntington Beach (we're downtown by the pier) and I'll throw you the keys - I'll drop it to stage 1 and make sure it only has 91 in the tank (which I often do because I don't always want to bother with adding E85) your feedback and impressions would be great to hear and read

Hope this helps a bit

ps- SoCal friends - watch out we have another teen on the road **sigh** off to the BMW Thermal M school for her teen driving class shortly (like my Son)
WOW! you are awesome my friend. Just to say that you'll let me drive it... That is mighty generous. Thank you. You can drive mine just to see how stock used to feel like lol

Not to mention, you are in a great part of the town (I am in LA county... yuck lol)

Missions tune would be great, though since I am on a lease, I'll just pass the free tune to the next lucky guy / gal who picks up the car is CPO in three years lol!! But yes, for a similar money, i'd rather do mission than JB4 since it is such a thorough tune instead of a piggyback.

Even stock I feel plenty fast (too fast) and will never use more than 70% on the road, let alone 100%. So I could only imagine what a 470 whp would be like. If I use the traditional 15%, thats right around 550 on the crank. 525 seems a conservative estimate . I am guessing a low 3 sec, mid 11's car so say, Z06 ish. That would be awesome.

Well, your daughter is a lucky girl, whose good daddy lets her drive a super car and goes to a BMW drive school!

My question to you is, how long have you had the tune?

Have you had ANY problems on the car (like check engine light, car acting odd) or from the dealership on a service? (SA giving you hard times lol)

And lastly, what do you think of a lease guy like me to get it? Can BMW give you hard time because it will be detected? (which I am sure it will be, on the first oil change)

I just got the car so if i am to do this, i need to do this soon to enjoy as much as I can.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #70
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Okay kids are out and about so I will launch into this (deep breath...here I go)

Quote:
WOW! you are awesome my friend. Just to say that you'll let me drive it... That is mighty generous. Thank you. You can drive mine just to see how stock used to feel like lol
You're welcome and it's a sincere offer - you might like it you might hate it but at least you won't need to speculate please come drive it I'm sure the forum would welcome your detailed feedback I am a big fan of the BMW community and car culture in general so I do what I can to help others - God knows many people have helped me over the years so I do my best to return the favor. Talk is cheap so if I can give someone my keys to better understand what a tune or springs etc.. will do to their car I am happy to oblige

Quote:
Not to mention, you are in a great part of the town (I am in LA county... yuck lol)
Thank you but I think anyone that can call California home is fortunate - every area has something to offer...I've been here my entire life and love the diversity of the people and geography (just wish people from out of town would stop coming to HB to protest but I digress)

Quote:
Missions tune would be great, though since I am on a lease, I'll just pass the free tune to the next lucky guy / gal who picks up the car is CPO in three years lol!! But yes, for a similar money, i'd rather do mission than JB4 since it is such a thorough tune instead of a piggyback.
I get it but you are not going to like what I am about to say...because it's not going to help your wallet. Mission Performance tune can be sold and is the only tune/flash that allows for unlimited sales (BM3 allows one) so the tune is just like any other part that can be sold and resold (albeit for a $100 transfer fee) I'm on my fourth MP transfer lol. You can even transfer across engine platforms (but you do need to pay the difference - meaning if the current price of your 340 tune is $500 and you want an M5 tune and it is $800 you would pay $300 plus the $100 transfer fee) So if you're sticking with BMW it's close to a one time investment - if not you will be able to resell and recoup a good majority of your upfront expense

Quote:
Even stock I feel plenty fast (too fast) and will never use more than 70% on the road, let alone 100%. So I could only imagine what a 470 whp would be like. If I use the traditional 15%, thats right around 550 on the crank. 525 seems a conservative estimate . I am guessing a low 3 sec, mid 11's car so say, Z06 ish. That would be awesome.
Yes it's impressive but more importantly it's just like oem in terms of power delivery as I've shared before it's as if you checked an option box on your build for more power

Quote:
Well, your daughter is a lucky girl, whose good daddy lets her drive a super car and goes to a BMW drive school!
Thank you I do my best very kind of you

Quote:
This car 5 months, I've had a couple other B58 equipped cars tuned by MP I've probably accumulated 75k+ miles across all of them

Quote:
Have you had ANY problems on the car (like check engine light, car acting odd) or from the dealership on a service? (SA giving you hard times lol)
No my experience has been no different vs stock. And I drive the hell out of my cars (not like a street idiot) but If I have open road I take it - also regularly drive autoX with a couple groups and canyon drive for fun. Cars have never skipped a beat, not one

Quote:
And lastly, what do you think of a lease guy like me to get it? Can BMW give you hard time because it will be detected? (which I am sure it will be, on the first oil change)
All my BMWs have been leased (at least for the last 15 years or so) and zero issue with turn in. I've shared this before (so sorry if I'm boring you) but any mod whether it be a tune, a piggyback, spings, coilovers, exhaust etc etc...can be found out by your dealer and/or BMW - anyone that tells you otherwise has an agenda and/or wants to sell you something or is fear mongering (not cool). That said unless your mod causes damage it is a non-issue. That is US law and also is spelled out in your lease contract in section 32-G (I'll post the pic again). Fortunately for us good tunes and piggybacks, springs, intakes etc...do not create problems.

Quote:
I just got the car so if i am to do this, i need to do this soon to enjoy as much as I can.
LOL my comment about resell is probably not going to help you. BUT remember if you have a recent build flash is not an option (yet)....if you have a slightly older build you would need a bench unlock...and if you have an early build all this can be done remote in the comfort of your garage. Best thing to do, if you are considering going down the flash path, is contact a tuner have them read your DME and let them tell you what your options are. If you are thinking of MP good thing for you, you can actually drive there

Quote:
Thank you!
You're welcome and Happy Thanksgiving
Attached Images

Last edited by chenry; 11-25-2020 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: forgot to attach picture of lease contract
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
      11-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #71
Exbreaker_M340i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonmon View Post
I have the JB+ set all the way (4.5psi boost) on 93 octane fuel. The only jerky feeling I ever got was right after cold start if I did not baby the throttle for the first minute of driving. It would buck a little if I gave it mid throttle too quickly. I'm not totally sure it was from the JB+ as I have heard that this trait is common to B58 cars. I just never noticed it before the JB+ was installed. It has also just recently been getting colder here in the PA/MD area. I have noticed some gain in power but sometimes it feels better than other times. It may just be traction control or torque limiting kicking in at times but sometimes I think "Damn, that was quick" and other times I feel like the top end feels about the same. Even if we confirm power gains from a dyno, torque limiting may still keep the car from actually being much quicker. The only way to get around this is from an actual tune where those things can be addressed. Spoofing the Manifold Pressure sensor into thinking there is less pressure can add boost but as soon as the DME senses a torque threshold being broken it can stop the party. That being said, there are some reports of quicker 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times by draggy using the JB4 on Map 3 with an e30 or so mix. If I get around to testing any of this I will be sure to report my findings. I'm pretty sure however that I will ultimately go to a stage 1/2 tune for some real gains. I am used to 500hp cars and even though this car is quite quick with 400hp, I am missing the extra 100 ponies. I will say that I recently added the BMS intake to mine as well and I did not expect to feel a difference as most modern intakes don't do much. I was pleasantly surprised to feel a noticeable difference with this cooler weather, the JB+, and intake on 93 with a couple gallons of e85 mixed in. The intake noises add cool factor and the surge of power with all things combined was noticeably faster. Definitely worth the $400 spent so far for most likely about 50hp and completely reversible in about 15 minutes if going back to the dealer for service or warranty issues.
Great post man thank you! I’m looking to get the same set up as you (jb+, BMS intake and higher octane/🌽 mix. I get the “jerk/bucking” when I drive off immediately after cold start w/o warming her up at all.. I’m completely stock, so hope that clears things up.

Have you tried pressing traction off once and/or using Sport Individual instead of Sport +?? Heard that helps with the JB4, so wondering if the JB+ could benefit as well. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 06:11 PM   #72
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay kids are out and about so I will launch into this (deep breath...here I go)

Quote:
You're welcome and it's a sincere offer - you might like it you might hate it but at least you won't need to speculate please come drive it I'm sure the forum would welcome your detailed feedback I am a big fan of the BMW community and car culture in general so I do what I can to help others - God knows many people have helped me over the years so I do my best to return the favor. Talk is cheap so if I can give someone my keys to better understand what a tune or springs etc.. will do to their car I am happy to oblige

Quote:
Thank you but I think anyone that can call California home is fortunate - every area has something to offer...I've been here my entire life and love the diversity of the people and geography (just wish people from out of town would stop coming to HB to protest but I digress)

Quote:
I get it but you are not going to like what I am about to say...because it's not going to help your wallet. Mission Performance tune can be sold and is the only tune/flash that allows for unlimited sales (BM3 allows one) so the tune is just like any other part that can be sold and resold (albeit for a $100 transfer fee) I'm on my fourth MP transfer lol. You can even transfer across engine platforms (but you do need to pay the difference - meaning if the current price of your 340 tune is $500 and you want an M5 tune and it is $800 you would pay $300 plus the $100 transfer fee) So if you're sticking with BMW it's close to a one time investment - if not you will be able to resell and recoup a good majority of your upfront expense

Quote:
Yes it's impressive but more importantly it's just like oem in terms of power delivery as I've shared before it's as if you checked an option box on your build for more power

Quote:
Thank you I do my best very kind of you

Quote:
This car 5 months, I've had a couple other B58 equipped cars tuned by MP I've probably accumulated 75k+ miles across all of them

Quote:
No my experience has been no different vs stock. And I drive the hell out of my cars (not like a street idiot) but If I have open road I take it - also regularly drive autoX with a couple groups and canyon drive for fun. Cars have never skipped a beat, not one

Quote:
All my BMWs have been leased (at least for the last 15 years or so) and zero issue with turn in. I've shared this before (so sorry if I'm boring you) but any mod whether it be a tune, a piggyback, spings, coilovers, exhaust etc etc...can be found out by your dealer and/or BMW - anyone that tells you otherwise has an agenda and/or wants to sell you something or is fear mongering (not cool). That said unless your mod causes damage it is a non-issue. That is US law and also is spelled out in your lease contract in section 32-G (I'll post the pic again). Fortunately for us good tunes and piggybacks, springs, intakes etc...do not create problems.

Quote:
LOL my comment about resell is probably not going to help you. BUT remember if you have a recent build flash is not an option (yet)....if you have a slightly older build you would need a bench unlock...and if you have an early build all this can be done remote in the comfort of your garage. Best thing to do, if you are considering going down the flash path, is contact a tuner have them read your DME and let them tell you what your options are. If you are thinking of MP good thing for you, you can actually drive there

Quote:
Thank you!
You're welcome and Happy Thanksgiving
Oh lol yes this is bad... didn't know you can resell the tune so yes it has become even more attractive to get!! Haha its all your fault good sir .

A oem like tune that can get me 100 hp... that is an exciting thought.

I have a march 2020 build and bought in September... i think it's flash able.

I sincerely appreciate your sincere offer at hope to meet you one of these days God bless and have a wonderful holidays!!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #73
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

@chenry by the way, what do you think of bootmod? Remote full dme tune at the comfort of your own home sounds too good to be true!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #74
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@chenry by the way, what do you think of bootmod? Remote full dme tune at the comfort of your own home sounds too good to be true!
Bootmod, MHD, Ecutek, and Mission Performance all have their own platforms and have been delivering remote dme tunes/flashes for years. That said presently they all have the same limitations when it comes to unlocking and then flashing the M340.

Early m340 builds (like mine) can be remotely unlocked and then tuned (I did this at home with my Mission Performance flash on my current M340). Later builds and versions of software require a bench unlock (by any of the tuners) and the most recent builds and versions of software cannot be unlocked by any of the tuners (yet).

Hope this helps....

ps- keep in mind the challenge is not the tunes themselves - these are ready to go by most all the tuners - it's the ability to unlock the DME in order to allow access to load the tunes/flash

Last edited by chenry; 11-28-2020 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 09:15 PM   #75
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Bootmod, MHD, Ecutek, and Mission Performance all have their own platforms and have been delivering remote dme tunes/flashes for years. That said presently they all have the same limitations when it comes to unlocking and then flashing the M340.

Early m340 builds (like mine) can be remotely unlocked and then tuned (I did this at home with my Mission Performance flash on my current M340). Later builds and versions of software require a bench unlock (by any of the tuners) and the most recent builds and versions of software cannot be unlocked by any of the tuners (yet).

Hope this helps....

ps- keep in mind the challenge is not the tunes themselves - these are ready to go by most all the tuners - it's the ability to unlock the DME in order to allow access to load the tunes/flash
Thank you for the detailed explanation! Mine is march of 2020 so I don't worry.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:37 PM   #76
plopez12808
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:

Hope this helps....

Once I get my car back from getting a module replaced it's going to Alex at Mission Performance. Looking forward to what it'll bring outta my M340. E85 is right up the road from me so that's nice to have given California's amazing 91 gas haha.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #77
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopez12808 View Post
Once I get my car back from getting a module replaced it's going to Alex at Mission Performance. Looking forward to what it'll bring outta my M340. E85 is right up the road from me so that's nice to have given California's amazing 91 gas haha.
subscribed! currently i am weighing bootmod (no need to take the car to the loc) or MP.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #78
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
subscribed! currently i am weighing bootmod (no need to take the car to the loc) or MP.
keep in mind both bootmod and MP offer the exact same remote unlock capabilities:
  • early builds can be done by you at home
  • later builds need to be bench unlocked
  • latest builds are not able to be unlocked (just yet)

Apologies if I didn't make that clear enough with my response
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #79
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

im in a lease and currently am running a stage 2 jb4 for the time being.

no issues.

i am going to do a stage 2 mp tune per mhenry with chargepipes downpipe and intake.

no worries when i return the car...we are all close by i am in inland empire murrieta//temecula area
2021 X3M // RGSport Midpipe + MSS + RaceChipGTS // Retired
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #80
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
we are all close by i am in inland empire murrieta//temecula area
You raise a very good point for those of us in SoCal....

While we all choose our tuners for different subjective reasons – for those of us in SoCal our close physical proximity to MP is something that is extraordinary IMHO. I mean he supports customers and corporations from all over the world but we are lucky enough to be able to go talk to him in person should we so choose
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 06:27 PM   #81
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

For you CA peeps the JB+ and JB4 are CARB certified, legal for sale and use in California. Only B58 tune I know of that is.
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #82
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
For you CA peeps the JB+ and JB4 are CARB certified, legal for sale and use in California. Only B58 tune I know of that is.
So Bootmod3 or MP isn't carb legal? Well, since this is a lease I guess it does not matter
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #83
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
keep in mind both bootmod and MP offer the exact same remote unlock capabilities:
  • early builds can be done by you at home
  • later builds need to be bench unlocked
  • latest builds are not able to be unlocked (just yet)

Apologies if I didn't make that clear enough with my response
That's a wonderful news! I'll look in to MP as well. Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #84
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So Bootmod3 or MP isn't carb legal? Well, since this is a lease I guess it does not matter
You'll have to ask them to be 100% but not that I know of. If it's a lease you should not be flashing in the first place lol, sometimes they don't take the car back or stick you with a huge bill after. You may get lucky but it's like roulette. I hear they are paying a lot more attention these days than they have in the past.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #85
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
You'll have to ask them to be 100% but not that I know of. If it's a lease you should not be flashing in the first place lol, sometimes they don't take the car back or stick you with a huge bill after. You may get lucky but it's like roulette. I hear they are paying a lot more attention these days than they have in the past.
I see. I thought reverting the DME back to stock would alleviate that problem. I still havent made up my mind... either that or JB4 is also an option so that would be the safe way for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #86
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:
I see. I thought reverting the DME back to stock would alleviate that problem. I still havent made up my mind... either that or JB4 is also an option so that would be the safe way for me.
ill be selling my jb4 soon so let me know!

i got quoted $1400 for bm3 install and dme unlock lol so....i def will not be doing that since mp is imo better and less expensive.
2021 X3M // RGSport Midpipe + MSS + RaceChipGTS // Retired
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #87
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Some of the less honest flash tuners will tell you that. But what they don't tell you is that with a flash tune it's not only the ECU you need to worry about. Most people get flagged off the transmission or stability control computers. With a flash tune true torque is stored on each and easy to spot in diagnostics. So even if you swap the ECU or whatever you're still tagged.

It's all just a tradeoff. JB4 is great for what it does but you can't do everything you can with a flash tune. With flash tune on the other hand goodbye warranty and sometimes lease return. A lot of customers decide the JB+ is actually perfect for their needs. 30-40hp gain, $200, 10 second install, and just are happy with that. You have to weigh everything for your own needs.
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1936.50
      12-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #88
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ill be selling my jb4 soon so let me know!

i got quoted $1400 for bm3 install and dme unlock lol so....i def will not be doing that since mp is imo better and less expensive.
really? well, let me know when you will sell it and how much... i will be very interested. yes... 1400 is bit too much no? MP is around 799 i believe.
Appreciate 0