Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB+ turned all the way up update

11-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

JB+ turned all the way up update

Hello everyone, hope you are having a great November days!

I'll make it super quick as possible.

First, a disclaimer. No dyno. No Draggy. All is a personal subjective FEEL of an update. Now that I have around 2600 miles, I think I am pretty accurate on how the stock felt, how 3'o clock on JB+ felt, and now how max boost feels.

About a week ago I finally turned up the JB+ all the way up (5'o clock).

Didn't have to take it off, I just carefully opened it while connected and just used a flathead to CAREFULLY, SLOWLY AND GENTLY turn it all the way up. Then closed it up, leave it as it was, and I was good to go.

Immediately drove off. I live on a mountainous area, (but i ain't rich lol, no misunderstanding there I hope hehe) so there is a very long stretch of downhill.

Important point: I did NOT feel any jerkiness. not in comfort, not in sport plus modes. Stock feel on shifts, smooth.

Turned and went back uphill for better testing of JB+'s power. Very steep, and pretty long (mile or a bit longer I think, winding up this and that way)

Sport plus, 3rd gear, manual mode, 35 mph (and going up from there)

Up to 3k RPM, it felt no different from the default setting. Meaning, I THINK there is slightly more power than stock, but not a lot. Like my previous update, an EDGE over stock power.

Then starting somewhere at 3 - 3.2 RPM, there was a whole new KICK. I mean a KICK. A very discernable boost of power.

Throttle response: felt super sharp at that RPM and beyond, as if there is more power per throttle if you get my meaning. A very NICE feeling.

I kept saying those nice 4-letter words in kind of a shock and a joy. And I kept saying them (lol).

Before I knew it, i was already at ## mph, so I again kept on saying 4-letter words (ex: nice)

Definitely more than stock, definitely more kick than default. Very happy with it.

But the power is NOT linear (of course, most wouldn't expect it). That I have to be very clear on. It is felt slight like the default boosted (3'o clock) upto 3 - 3.2 RPM and then a kick.

Default already makes the car bit quicker, but did not have this kick, or if it was there, it was less to the point where I did not notice that shove after 3k RPM.

Another important thing: the kick kept on until 5k RPM (I didn't go further, it was too fast already) so it MIGHT just continue till red line but I haven't tested that yet, and it won't be easy because i'll run out of the road.

Hope this was helpful.

I'll do another update after driving it for some more. Hope all stay safe on the roads out there

Last edited by M340i Pride; 11-10-2020 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1941.50
      11-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

JB+ sounds like a great power mod so far.
Was the power band smooth when you were in the default setting ?
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfitness20 View Post
JB+ sounds like a great power mod so far.
Was the power band smooth when you were in the default setting ?
Yes it was. There was no jerkiness of the transmission or anything else amiss. I felt a higher level of power when pushing the car above 3K+ RPM but didn't have that kick, like the max setting is doing.

I guess that is the difference... higher boost happening at higher RPM.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
moto111
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 15 mustang

I want to do something simple like this so bad but I keep going back To the fact I have a lease lol
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto111 View Post
I want to do something simple like this so bad but I keep going back To the fact I have a lease lol
Mine is a lease as well. Takes a min to take it off and on again. Dealership will not know.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:29 PM   #7
josehb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C Tanzanite Blue

Thanks for this information I was wondering if this was worth it and you answer my question. I just got a 2021 M340Xi and will be buying the JB+. For $200.0 sounds like a good deal to get an additional 30 or 40 hp.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

M340i Pride did you notice any low end/low RPM throttle delay at all? I've been messing around with my JB+, just need to pull it in case it "IS" in my head but dont' think it is. It's fine once you get going but initially seemed like immediate throttle response was changed with the JB+.

Agreed though the extra bump has been worth the $200, easy.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2021, 11:27 PM   #9
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josehb View Post
Thanks for this information I was wondering if this was worth it and you answer my question. I just got a 2021 M340Xi and will be buying the JB+. For $200.0 sounds like a good deal to get an additional 30 or 40 hp.
Indeed! This is a great bang for your buck mod. 200$ for 30-40 hp tq is just awesome. You'll love it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 11:31 PM   #10
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrant64 View Post
M340i Pride did you notice any low end/low RPM throttle delay at all? I've been messing around with my JB+, just need to pull it in case it "IS" in my head but dont' think it is. It's fine once you get going but initially seemed like immediate throttle response was changed with the JB+.

Agreed though the extra bump has been worth the $200, easy.
To me it felt immediate. I didn't feel any lag. What i felt was, on the maximum boost, comfort mode was slightly ever so jerky in the low speeds, but it was hard to tell for certain. The power increase is easy to tell for me. Stronger kick on the throttle increase for sure. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 07:28 AM   #11
KaptainKloss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 xDrive

Does this void the warranty or risk voiding the warranty in any way?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 08:38 AM   #12
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKloss View Post
Yes.
      01-29-2021, 10:25 AM   #13
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Only if your piggyback causes a component failure - in which case the impacted component likely would not be covered under warranty. There is no pro-active voiding of warranty with any modification (engine or otherwise) - I think we have finally put that rumor to rest.

That said keep in mind piggybacks are detectable by your dealer - just like a flash tune, or lowering springs, or an exhaust etc...all are detectable (albeit each by different means). There is no hiding...

I once explained it to someone like this.....sure you can remove a piggyback and claim it was never there but the dealer will be able to prove otherwise if they need/want to. Removing a piggyback is sort of like having a couple pine air fresheners in your car hanging from the rear view mirror that you remove before your dealer visit - sure the air fresheners are gone and there is no trace of them but your car still smells like pine and your dealer knows they were there. With a flash it's like removing the air freshener from the mirror and leaving it on the passenger seat.

The good news is a well designed piggyback or flash or springs or exhaust or intake etc...such as the ones offered by the major players simply are not creating any problems for these cars . And the same can be said for the F3XX chassis cars (dating back to 2012) and the E9XX before them.

Hope this helps

ps- forum sponsor x-ph offers the JB+ with a 30 day money back guarantee - just something to keep in mind

Last edited by chenry; 01-29-2021 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: typos of course :-)
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2021, 10:58 AM   #14
R12ax7
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 340xi

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto111 View Post
I had a JB+ on my e90 N54 and now three F30s - all leased - never had a single problem. You will be completely fine, especially if you keep it at noon, which still delivers legitimate results.

Retired:
2018 330xi | 2016 340i 6MT | 2013 335i 6MT |
2011 328i 6MT (N52) | 2008 335xi (N54)
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #15
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Unlike flash tuning no trace should be left behind when removed but they always say they don't endorse warranty fraud so pay for any damage you cause operating your vehicle in excess of the factory specifications.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 04:53 PM   #16
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
There is no pro-active voiding of warranty with any modification (engine or otherwise) - I think we have finally put that rumor to rest.
Depends on your definition of "modification" Flash tunes can, and are now being proactively detected by ITSA and flagging the car as warranty void during routine service visits.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 11:23 AM   #17
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Depends on your definition of "modification" Flash tunes can, and are now being proactively detected by ITSA and flagging the car as warranty void during routine service visits.
njfoses - sorry for the delay in getting back to you after you have quoted me here.

Agreed the issue of detection whether it be via proactive means such as ITSA (flash tune detection) or via reverse engineering looking at fuel trims etc (piggybacks after removal)...or even visual for that matter (springs, wheels, downpipes etc..) is very real and has been well documented over the years here on the forum. And as a result some cars are "flagged" in the system (either via ITSA, or the pen of your SA). So you and I and the forum (for the most part - can't speak for everyone) are 100% on the same page there

That said where I do have gap in my base of knowledge (one of many many gaps HA), is when it comes to the issue of warranties being proactively voided simply because your car is modified in some way - I have seen zero proof of that over the years. US law, the BMW lease agreement, people receiving warranty repairs while modified (piggybacks and flashes) and my personal experience just to name a few examples do not support the idea of pro-active voiding of warranties.

Now mind you I am of the mindset that you pay to play - and I certainly believe that if your mod creates an issue you will likely pay (and should pay) - I just haven't seen anything that says "poof your warranty is gone" because ITSA has flagged your car for a flash - or your dealer determines that you removed your piggyback prior to your service visit.

That's just where I am at on the subject....but there is plenty I don't know

If anyone reading this has first hand experience with a warranty being proactively voided due to a mod (any mod) - I would very much like to hear the particulars of your story either here or via direct message.

Again what is key here is "pro-actively voided" meaning the dealer ripped up your warranty before you even had a need to make a claim. And what warranty did they rip up and to what degree?

Thank you Motor On

Last edited by chenry; 01-31-2021 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 10:30 PM   #18
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Again what is key here is "pro-actively voided" meaning the dealer ripped up your warranty before you even had a need to make a claim. And what warranty did they rip up and to what degree?

The dealer plugs in their OBDII tool as part of your service, if the tool detects you've been flash tuned, even if you removed the flash, a flag is triggered attached to your VIN in their system. If you ever make a power train warranty claim or something down the road they usually then decline coverage as the DME was modified. Unless you hit the lotto like that other story I saw posted on a forum.
Appreciate 1