Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB+ 4'o clock update

11-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

JB+ 4'o clock update

Hello everyone, hope for another safe and a enjoyable day on the street for all.

Another disclaimer: Purely personal evaluation. No Dyno, No draggy. Don't actually know how much quicker the car is.

Second disclaimer: I actually was NOT on the 5'o clock max boost. It was so ever slightly LESS lol! Say, 4.7'o clock if you will. So a true 5'o clock review is to follow. I also want to do 2'o and 1'o clock as well and just see if the milder tune is better

Anyways, I just turned the dial DOWN a bit. From 4.7'o clock max to 4'o clock. Just one notch down. I wanted to see if there is a "sweet spot" for the JB+ / which setting was the best for me / and share with you guys.

So long story short, there IS a difference. On 4.7'o clock boost and in comfort mode, the transmission was SHORT SHIFTING, or it seemed to me like it was. Meaning the transmission shifted about 1500 rpm or less on a gentle driving.

It was as if the transmission detected a higher boost/power and decided that it did not have to shift at higher RPM, and that the engine was making enough to have the gears shift earlier in the RPM to get the car moving.

Car was not jerky, but definitely less RPM before shifting and made the car slightly more anemic.

Now at 4'o clock, in comfort mode, the transmission shifted at a lot higher RPM (2-2.5k on a gentle driving) and made it better. Once again, car was not jerky. It was smoother though than 4.7'o clock. I like it so far.

At SPORT PLUS, the driving was similar but less kick. after 3K RPM, definitely higher boost and more power. Very enjoyable. I want to say that the less kick made it BETTER for me. More linear, yet there is more power compared to stock.

I'll try this for few more days and try the TRUE 5'o clock setting. I'll pass on any info that might be interesting. Stay tuned friends!

Last edited by M340i Pride; 11-17-2020 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing your experience, let us know which setting is your favorite

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience, let us know which setting is your favorite
I have a feeling... a hunch if you will... that 2'o clock might be smoother and have more consistent power.
Appreciate 0