Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions My initial though between 2021 M340xi and G80 M3 Comp

05-08-2023, 10:57 PM   #67
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Good to hear, glad you’re enjoying it. I need to test drive one of these although I don’t plan on getting a new car before sometime next year. Sometimes I do feel like the M340i is not hardcore enough for me. I want more driving engagement.
Driving engagement is definitely there.... partly from it being a 6MT and partly from the G80 just feeling more "raw" than the G20.

I should mention, the first 1,000 miles or so had me worried in the beginning. The shifter needed to be manhandled a bit, the clutch was vague and the 1-2 shift was brutal and unforgiving. Had me thinking I forgot how to drive stick. Now with over 2,500 miles on it, I'm happy to say that the linkages have loosened up a bit and I'm able to flick the shifter into gear, the 1-2 shift has smoothed out, and the clutch engagement is more predictable now. It's now an absolute joy to drive whether I'm doing some spirited driving through the twisties or simply dropping my daughter off at school.

I also used to make fun of people who claimed they got a lot of attention in this car... saying things like, "calm down, it's not a ferrari". I take that all back. I'm surprised to admit it actually does get quite a bit of attention. Whether it's people getting their cell phones out to snap pictures, or just turning their heads not so subtlety to look at it. It's got a TON of road presence. And it's all positive feedback through thumbs ups, or people saying "nice car".

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      05-13-2023, 04:17 AM   #68
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Driving engagement is definitely there.... partly from it being a 6MT and partly from the G80 just feeling more "raw" than the G20.

I should mention, the first 1,000 miles or so had me worried in the beginning. The shifter needed to be manhandled a bit, the clutch was vague and the 1-2 shift was brutal and unforgiving. Had me thinking I forgot how to drive stick. Now with over 2,500 miles on it, I'm happy to say that the linkages have loosened up a bit and I'm able to flick the shifter into gear, the 1-2 shift has smoothed out, and the clutch engagement is more predictable now. It's now an absolute joy to drive whether I'm doing some spirited driving through the twisties or simply dropping my daughter off at school.

I also used to make fun of people who claimed they got a lot of attention in this car... saying things like, "calm down, it's not a ferrari". I take that all back. I'm surprised to admit it actually does get quite a bit of attention. Whether it's people getting their cell phones out to snap pictures, or just turning their heads not so subtlety to look at it. It's got a TON of road presence. And it's all positive feedback through thumbs ups, or people saying "nice car".
It's a polarizing car, much more than any previous BMW's I've ever had. More people have complimented me in this car than any other. On the other hand, I know there are people who also don't like it, but maybe that's why it gets so much attention. I've seen IG posts of my car at meets that other people have taken with unflattering tags. People who have never driven one say it's too heavy to be a performance car. Yet when I give ride alongs at my local track, people always end up with a smile on their face after the first lap. In fact, I recorded my fastest lap and won that session of Time Attack... with a passenger!

The car has flaws, but it will surprise people how well it is engineered. You either hate it or really like it, but at least it isn't boring.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
wtwo317948.00
      05-25-2023, 10:21 PM   #69
maco33
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i Xdrive

The g80 looks extremely aggressive and I actually like the look of the grille—I initially thought it looked awful when the first press photos were released, but, after seeing it in person in Isle of Man, my mind was permanently changed
Appreciate 0