Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Steering wheel Y-inlay

04-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

Steering wheel Y-inlay

I would lile to replace the alu Y-inlay with the basic inlay that you see from the g80. Looks more stylish compared to the M-sport wide alu inlay. Somebody knows if it’s a separate part? Part number?
Attached Images

Last edited by StevenDS85; 04-10-2021 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Adding picture
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 01:36 AM   #2
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDS85 View Post
I would lile to replace the alu Y-inlay with the basic inlay that you see from the g80. Looks more stylish compared to the M-sport wide alu inlay. Somebody knows if it’s a separate part? Part number?
I know this is a different steering wheel however there must be options available for your wheel. For mine there was the OEM carbon performance trim and interior but it's expensive. I fitted this which was cheap in comparison but looks good IMO .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #3
Mon_papillon
Private
Rep
Drives: Ordered - G21 330e M Sport

I'd be tempted to look into having that piece wrapped, some really cool options and probably cheaper, also easy to return to standard if needs be...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 12:28 PM   #4
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsapper View Post
Quote:
I would lile to replace the alu Y-inlay with the basic inlay that you see from the g80. Looks more stylish compared to the M-sport wide alu inlay. Somebody knows if it's a separate part? Part number?
I know this is a different steering wheel however there must be options available for your wheel. For mine there was the OEM carbon performance trim and interior but it's expensive. I fitted this which was cheap in comparison but looks good IMO .
How sketchy was it jacking a screwdriver through the leather in the back of the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:43 AM   #5
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I would lile to replace the alu Y-inlay with the basic inlay that you see from the g80. Looks more stylish compared to the M-sport wide alu inlay. Somebody knows if it's a separate part? Part number?
How sketchy was it jacking a screwdriver through the leather in the back of the wheel?
The airbag removal process was not as precise as with other steering wheels and to be honest I found locating the securing spring clips quite tricky as my screwdriver frequently went past the clip. Patience is key here.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 02:15 AM   #6
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The airbag removal process was not as precise as with other steering wheels and to be honest I found locating the securing spring clips quite tricky as my screwdriver frequently went past the clip. Patience is key here.
How torn up is the area around the hole? Did you make an incision before cramming a screwdriver through the material?

I really want to upgrade the trim and paddles, but I'm a little apprehensive with poking/ripping/tearing a hole in the back of my steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How torn up is the area around the hole? Did you make an incision before cramming a screwdriver through the material?

I really want to upgrade the trim and paddles, but I'm a little apprehensive with poking/ripping/tearing a hole in the back of my steering wheel.
Here is a pic of the hole. You obviously cant see it when driving but when you know its there its there if you know what I mean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
helmet91278.50
      04-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
How noticeable is it from the passenger seat?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #9
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How noticeable is it from the passenger seat?
Hard to see it, I think you would need to know its there.
Appreciate 1
helmet91278.50