Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes H&R Springs - knocking / binding noise - help!

03-14-2021, 08:52 PM   #1
ruczko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 330xi

H&R Springs - knocking / binding noise - help!

Hey all, had my car lowered by a local tuner shop here in Vancouver. Since having it lowered I've been getting a more prominent knocking sound coming from the driver side. Sounds like a spring binding issue? Its most often during parking lot speeds that you hear it.

Shop is trying to point towards control arms although its unlikely as you hear it most during slow turns of the wheel. I had a BMW tech look at it and he's suggesting its the spring too. Even the tuner shop thinks its the springs not having enough pre-load? Either way, I need to get it sorted.

Another forum member with a 330xi (M Sport) H&R Springs also had this issue, installed at the same shop ironically.

I'm stuck because I don't know if its an issue with the spring, the install or something different.... Anyone else having this issue? Is it possible this is an H&R Spring fault?

My options as I see them... install factory springs back (not ideal), order a different set of springs altogether (Dinan or something) or possibly get another pair of H&R springs to try...

Looking for some suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 05:41 AM   #2
Fpangalos
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruczko View Post
Hey all, had my car lowered by a local tuner shop here in Vancouver. Since having it lowered I've been getting a more prominent knocking sound coming from the driver side. Sounds like a spring binding issue? Its most often during parking lot speeds that you hear it.

Shop is trying to point towards control arms although its unlikely as you hear it most during slow turns of the wheel. I had a BMW tech look at it and he's suggesting its the spring too. Even the tuner shop thinks its the springs not having enough pre-load? Either way, I need to get it sorted.

Another forum member with a 330xi (M Sport) H&R Springs also had this issue, installed at the same shop ironically.

I'm stuck because I don't know if its an issue with the spring, the install or something different.... Anyone else having this issue? Is it possible this is an H&R Spring fault?

My options as I see them... install factory springs back (not ideal), order a different set of springs altogether (Dinan or something) or possibly get another pair of H&R springs to try...

Can you post a video link of the noise you are hearing.... the fact that you are hearing the noise only at low speed turns make me think it's the upper mounts of your struts. Very common for installers to dent the upper bearings in mounts during installation. Once the bearing is dented, you will hear it catch when taking turns at low speeds. At higher speeds it glides faster and is less noticeable.

Sucks to hear! Goodluck!
      03-15-2021, 09:26 PM   #3
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Sounds like an installer issue. I just installed my springs, diy, and have no issues.

As the previous poster mentioned, it sounds like either the strut mount bearings or a loose suspension component. I would double-check the sway bar endlinks. They are easy to forget to tighten.

The other thing I would do is tighten up the top strut main bolt in the middle and double-check all the surrounding bolts. There's really no much to the front suspension of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
ruczko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
Sounds like an installer issue. I just installed my springs, diy, and have no issues.

As the previous poster mentioned, it sounds like either the strut mount bearings or a loose suspension component. I would double-check the sway bar endlinks. They are easy to forget to tighten.

The other thing I would do is tighten up the top strut main bolt in the middle and double-check all the surrounding bolts. There's really no much to the front suspension of these cars.
Is this bolt accessible without taking the suspension out?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:

Take a look at the springs.... At normal ride height, do you see two or more coils that are touching (or very close to touching)? If so, they can make noise (a springy popping sound) when you turn the steering wheel at parking lot speeds or travel over not smooth pavement slowly.

The answer is to install coil spring isolators, so that the touching coils no longer touch. They are cheap and easy to install. You won't have to take anything apart. Just jack the car up and slip them on the spring.

You'll likely know exactly where to put them, because you will see the paint rubbed off of the spring in the spot between the coils that are making noise, when you have the car jacked up.

And as someone else mentioned, make sure the top strut shift nut is tight.
Appreciate 1
ruczko97.00
      03-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Yes. It's under your hood, at the top of the strut.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:44 PM   #7
ruczko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes. It's under your hood, at the top of the strut.
Ok, found it. Stupid question. How do I tighten it? Using the bolt or an Allen key?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 06:10 PM   #8
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Ok, found it. Stupid question. How do I tighten it? Using the bolt or an Allen key?
Tighten the bolt. But you'll need to hold the allen in place. Take it back to the shop and have them check it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 12:59 AM   #9
ruczko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Tighten the bolt. But you'll need to hold the allen in place. Take it back to the shop and have them check it.
any idea what this should be torqued to?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #10
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
any idea what this should be torqued to?
Not positive. I would make sure it's tight, and at min 100ftlbs.

Also, it's odd that the sound is only coming from the driver's side. If it were the springs binding, it would happen on both sides. Furthermore, the reason I suspect it's the install is that the driver side is not any different when compared to the passenger side outside of an extra cable for the break wear sensor.
Appreciate 1
ruczko97.00
      04-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #11
franky818
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2010 , g20 2020

Did op fix this ? I have the same knocking noise on H&r on my g20 haha ... crazy
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 06:41 PM   #12
A172
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320i M Sport

same here

install was perfect so just gonna lube up everything whenever i get some time

would report back
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:56 AM   #13
ruczko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Took it in today and they noticed the rubber covering the tip of the spring (no idea what it's called) had moved down. Sounds like they moved it back up and it seems to be quiet for the moment. Let's hope that's all it was.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #14
A172
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by A172 View Post
same here

install was perfect so just gonna lube up everything whenever i get some time

would report back
ok so got around to this and it was easy to see the spring coils were touching each other

moved the coil rubbers a little higher and lubed up everything, all is well now
Appreciate 1
ruczko97.00
      04-23-2021, 09:50 PM   #15
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A172 View Post
ok so got around to this and it was easy to see the spring coils were touching each other

moved the coil rubbers a little higher and lubed up everything, all is well now
The springs are progressive and the coils are tighter at the top. Just slide the isolators higher. You'll probably need to jack the car up and take the wheel off.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 11:29 PM   #16
ruczko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The springs are progressive and the coils are tighter at the top. Just slide the isolators higher. You'll probably need to jack the car up and take the wheel off.
So far that looks like that was the issue.... the shop did just that and the noise has gone away. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 08:07 PM   #17
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
So far that looks like that was the issue.... the shop did just that and the noise has gone away. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
I'm sure it will, it makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 10:43 AM   #18
SJA05
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive

Quote:
What isolators are you referring to? I've tried searching isolators/insulators and they are referring to the the rubber that the spring inserts into at the top (and bottom?) of the springs themselves - sort of like a spring perch. Is what you are referring to something different - like rubber inserts that go between the coils of the springs? If so, where do you source them from?

My H&R springs do make a sort of crunching sound whenever I go over bumps slowly. I've had the top bolt re-torqued to 100+ ft/lbs.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 09:46 PM   #19
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA05 View Post
What isolators are you referring to? I've tried searching isolators/insulators and they are referring to the the rubber that the spring inserts into at the top (and bottom?) of the springs themselves - sort of like a spring perch. Is what you are referring to something different - like rubber inserts that go between the coils of the springs? If so, where do you source them from?

My H&R springs do make a sort of crunching sound whenever I go over bumps slowly. I've had the top bolt re-torqued to 100+ ft/lbs.

Thanks
Some springs are equipped with rubber covers that wrap around the coils at the progressive end of the spring since it's tightly wound and clearances are tighter. I have Dinan springs, but they are not progressive and do not have this as a design element. Furthermore, if the springs don't load up when installing the top mount back onto the strut, you can experience clunking when the spring unloads.

In addition, anyone know what the H&R instructions state to do with the bump stops? From experience, lowering springs usually come with shorter bump stops or require you to cut them.

Unfortunately, suspension clunks are very annoying as they are difficult to diagnose and can be caused by infinite factors.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #20
SJA05
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated!

I got the H&R springs because Dinan still hasn't released springs for the M340iX, and I wasn't willing to wait for a 3rd summer (I got mine in 2019) with my car jacked up like an SUV.

What I did do is order the Dinan bump stops (I forget the fancy name they use for them), and replaced the stock bump stops with the Dinan's (even though they are technically for the RWD M340i). I have the adaptive suspension and the ride has been excellent even on the firmest setting, and the handling improvements have been very noticeable (less pitch and dive, flatter cornering, and crisper turn-in).

I can definitely live with the trade-off of a little noise when going over bumps at parking lot speeds for the much improved handling and looks.
Appreciate 2
ruczko97.00
Bjac34.00