Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) vicfalc09 | BMW M Performance Carbon Fiber Mirror Cap Installation

04-15-2023, 02:07 AM   #45
Tango22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i Touring

I'm a bit confused reading this topic. The original posters guide states there are a number of screws which need removal in order to remove the mirror caps.

But then the second guide says you pop tabs with a trim tool to remove the caps.

What are the screws for? Why does the second method not require those screws to be removed also? Just asking as there are a number of videos online showing techniques which either need the mirror glass removed, or it simply tilted down to expose the tab clips. But I can't recall reading about a load of screws needing removed?

I have carbon M caps on order so just want to be clear on how the best approach to fitting will be!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 07:41 PM   #46
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
Thanks! I got mine from that link after your suggestion and I just finished installing mine and its soo much nicer than the cerum grey ones which look disgusting the day after washing my car...

I was actually able to do the install in a different way that saved a bunch of steps and completely avoiding taking the glass out.

Props to this guy for showing this method:

Tried my best to take pictures but all I did was first tilt the mirrors all the way down and right (driver) left (passenger). Then I stuck a small slim flathead screwdriver in the gap between the black bezel and the glass and pushed the top tab up and the bottom one down while applying outward pressure with my left hand. Once the top gets release I stuck a pry tool at the bottom corner next to the camera and pried it out. Got the passenger side cap off without breaking any clips and I just broke one clip on driver side. Super easy and took me 10 minutes to do each side.

I know this thread is old, but are you saying that by dislodging those clips that the mirror cap comes off without have to remove the screws?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 12:26 PM   #47
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango22 View Post
I'm a bit confused reading this topic. The original posters guide states there are a number of screws which need removal in order to remove the mirror caps.

But then the second guide says you pop tabs with a trim tool to remove the caps.

What are the screws for? Why does the second method not require those screws to be removed also? Just asking as there are a number of videos online showing techniques which either need the mirror glass removed, or it simply tilted down to expose the tab clips. But I can't recall reading about a load of screws needing removed?

I have carbon M caps on order so just want to be clear on how the best approach to fitting will be!!
Interested to hear this as well. What did you find out?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 12:21 PM   #48
Whack01
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

I just did this today. The 4 screws release the black trim/surround at the front of your mirror. By removing them I found it much easier to release the 2 tabs shown in above post. You don’t need to remove the black trim just the screws. The second set of 2 screws need to be removed as these fix the indicator to mirror cap.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 12:00 AM   #49
Lain
Rep
Drives: 21' M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortimaoMystique View Post
I've contacted the eBay dealer and can hopefully get a replacement
Did you ever end up getting a replacement? I got myself a pair from the same seller and the fitment is pretty bad...
Appreciate 0