BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-26-2019, 11:54 PM   #903
RBNetEngr
Private
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3

I've been a BMW owner since 1988. Every BMW we have owned has looked great, and the style has endured until today. But this abomination is just plain FUGLY. I thought the new X7 was hideous, but this takes hideous to a completely different dimension!

As far as I'm concerned, if this is where BMW is taking styling (and their concept cars seem to indicate this is the direction), then I think there are plenty of other cars on the market that will get my money in the future. There is NO way that I could remain loyal to the BMW brand when they take styling in this ridiculous direction.

-rb
Appreciate 3
doccyber258.50
WadeM115.50
IM2C2066.50
      10-27-2019, 01:35 AM   #904
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

Time to start a letter campaign to BMW. Make sure the bosses know how they are going to lose loyal customers. Me included.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 01:58 AM   #905
punky8d
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: you crazy..

Garage List
That grill reminds me of Nemesis from Resident Evil... Damn! WTF BMW. [IMG]https://media.entertainmentearth.com...5409a2falg.jpg[/IMG]
2018 F80 M3 CS
[Sold] 2019 F87 M2 Competition
[Sold] 2016 235i ?M?
[Sold] 2015 F82 M4
[Sold] 2013 C350
[Sold] 2008 CRV
[Sold] 2008 E93 M3
[Sold] 2006 E92 335i
[Sold] 2002 325i
[Sold] 1996 318i
Appreciate 2
Seniorleb527.50
Transfer5250.00
      10-27-2019, 02:09 AM   #906
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky8d View Post
Damn reminds me of Nemesis from Resident Evil... Damn! WTF BMW. [IMG]https://media.entertainmentearth.com...5409a2falg.jpg[/IMG]
LMAO!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 03:15 AM   #907
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

I'm not going to intellectualise or philosophise about this new design. My emotional reaction to it is simple. I don't like it and am unlikely to learn to love it over time. I'm therefore very unlikely to buy one.
If the same design philosophy is applied to all the new cars in the range which I can afford, including the G30 LCI, I'll be skipping this new generation altogether - which would be a pity, having owned five BMW's in a row
IM2C2066.50
CityLife197.50
      10-27-2019, 04:42 AM   #908
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
There was one other render (...the one that looked like a Star Wars Tie Fighter), but the real life photos are close:
The hitler grill. LOL...

Seriously - Design team are you on crack? Hallucinogens or are you just losing grip with reality.

Mercedes did a big grill but it looks good. Aston did a big grill and looks good. Audi did a big grill and looks ok. You did a big grill and it looks like BMW is trying to imitate adolf's moustache. WHY?

Concept car looked good and on production it looks so bad.

If your goal is to give rise to aftermarket face lifts and a spring to action new companies I think you just managed to do this well. I give you this for new entrepreneurs.

Shame a new car and already everyone will be changing the grill and front bumper to look like the 340.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #909
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky8d View Post
Damn reminds me of Nemesis from Resident Evil... Damn! WTF BMW. [IMG]https://media.entertainmentearth.com...5409a2falg.jpg[/IMG]
Now that’s a picture that should be sent to the BMW executives that signed off on this design.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #910
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
We only know these are M3s since we know the look of each iteration individually. There is no unique shape of an M3 or design element that will clearly identify a new car as an M3. The quad exhaust some might say? The E30 doesn’t have it. The grille? Absolutely not, the E30’s doesn’t resemble any of the others. The E36 and the E30 are generally a huge change of shape and design elements. Likely larger than the overall F80 to G80 change will be. Just another sign that the design has become increasingly stale. It is time for a little shake up.
We see the designs differently. If during any M3 generation (E36 forward) the subsequent generation was debadged and put alongside every other contemporary performance car on the planet, I'm spotting the M3 100 out of 100 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptos View Post
I think the above picture actually belies the point you're trying to make. 99.9% of the population looks at that image and shrugs as they just see a bunch of vanilla 3 Series cars. It's also a reminder that most of these models had very little competition in the segment. Today is different and for better or worse, BMW wants ordinary people to know an M3 from a 330i and for non-ordinary people, they feel they need to do something beyond great driving dynamics to compete and attract the next generation of buyers (i.e. not the people who bought and still pine for those M3s of yesteryear). However enthusiastic, the small population of current owners isn't a big enough market to support the M division over the next 15+ years. Most who focus on performance over aesthetics will stay and, while this certainly isn't true for everyone on this forum, if you do hate this design, there's a reasonable chance that it simply means you're not the target demo anymore.
No, you just accepted my point to make your point. The M3 has always been a (relatively) understated but recognizable automotive icon. You're saying that'll no longer cut it.

A friendly reminder, the M3 has never required aesthetic compromise for performance. We're talking about an M3. Where am I? Is this going to be the narrative, only the REAL performance purists will stick around for the G80?

But I do fully agree with your final point, and it's been real fellas… I'm probably due for a serving of Metamucil. Respect your opinions and from a broader appeal, sales/profit perspective, you may very well be right.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #911
B3averFan
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

It's hard for some to think outside the box.

BMW sure is outside the box on this one. I see a quick revision soon after these "vehicles" hit dealer lots.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #912
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
No, you’re probably right now that I think about it. A company with €100B in annual revenues probably just pulled the design out of a hat, crossed their fingers, held their breath and ran with it rather than gathering any data. That’s much more plausible than concluding that the microcosm within a microcosm that is this forum is the outlier rather than the heart of the Gaussian distribution that describes their target market. It’s a normal human trait to think that you and your opinions are more more important than they actually are (especially when it comes to something we’re all very passionate about), but here’s some nice empirical proof that that’s not always the case.
A traditional German engineering company from Bavaria no less. This decision has been vetted against a handful of other options by many layers of analysis and approved by multiple groups before it reached the top brass and ultimately was signed off, count on it.
Which is still flawed logic demonstrated by numerous failures by corporations before.
BMW nor the M division is immune to it.
Valid point, Jockey: see for example here ("74 Failed Products That Made These Companies Regret Creating Them"). All those companies were also highly confident that their idea was great and/or that customers would adapt. However, the public decided differently and voted with its wallet: thumbs down.

If BMW goes ahead with this questionnable front end grille design fail on the G80 M3, it will have to face the sobering commercial consequences. Competing car brands will gladly welcome potential G80 M3 customers into their dealerships.

We can also see a positive side to this story: this front end grille débâcle will be a valuable lesson for BMW that you may tinker, but not mess, with iconic design features of a BMW car and that, in the end, the customers are your boss (not the other way around).

If heritage, reputation, customers and profits matter for BMW, it got to get its act together, now: get off the questionnable grille cloud, do a reality check and adapt.

Blown out of proportion: the front end grille, not the discussion in this thread.
      10-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #913
Covfefe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6mt

Quote:
Personally I can’t fathom how anyone would prefer their G80 to look like this with the addition of minor M3 styling cues. Do you really prefer that and think this is an exciting design?

THIS is a bit of an unsightly mess, not the concept nor the leak.
“Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it’s wrong.”
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #914
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
No, you're probably right now that I think about it. A company with €100B in annual revenues probably just pulled the design out of a hat, crossed their fingers, held their breath and ran with it rather than gathering any data. That's much more plausible than concluding that the microcosm within a microcosm that is this forum is the outlier rather than the heart of the Gaussian distribution that describes their target market. It's a normal human trait to think that you and your opinions are more more important than they actually are (especially when it comes to something we're all very passionate about), but here's some nice empirical proof that that's not always the case.
A traditional German engineering company from Bavaria no less. This decision has been vetted against a handful of other options by many layers of analysis and approved by multiple groups before it reached the top brass and ultimately was signed off, count on it.
Which is still flawed logic demonstrated by numerous failures by corporations before.
BMW nor the M division is immune to it.
Valid point, Jockey: see for example here ("74 Failed Products That Made These Companies Regret Creating Them"). All those companies were also highly confident that their idea was great and/or that customers would adapt. However, the public decided differently and voted with its wallet: thumbs down.

If BMW goes ahead with this questionnable front end grille design fail on the G80 M3, it will have to face the sobering commercial consequences. Competing car brands will gladly welcome potential G80 M3 customers into their dealerships.

We can also see a positive side to this story: this front end grille débâcle will be a valuable lesson for BMW that you may tinker, but not mess, with iconic design features of a BMW car and that, in the end, the customers are your boss (not the other way around).

If heritage, reputation, customers and profits matter for BMW, it got to get its act together, now: get off the questionnable grille cloud, do a reality check and adapt.

Blown out of proportion: the front end grille, not the discussion in this thread.
I get your point, but a good portion of those items were plagued with mechanical and safety issues; many others were just plain stupid......like Trump Steaks. Dreamcast was popular when I was growing up (...and I had one, so if that was a failure, so was everything else that went up against PlayStation at the time, including Nintendo 64, which I also had.), as was Clearly Canadian. Segways are still used today, albeit by mall cops/security/law enforcement departments and tourist companies, so I don't even know why that's on the list as a failure. What I did find surprising is that vehicles like the Pontiac Aztec didn't make the list, but the Ford Pinto did?!?!? Somebody needs to slap the author of that article. Kidding!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #915
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

The grille is distracting from the rest of the car. Not in a good way.
      10-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #916
ZZZZMD1991
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Say what you want about performance; the first Bangle 7-Series was a nicely performing luxurious car which was a sales disaster given the incoherent and distasteful design....
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #917
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZMD1991 View Post
Say what you want about performance; the first Bangle 7-Series was a nicely performing luxurious car which was a sales disaster given the incoherent and distasteful design....
You might want to fact check that.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #918
MSportDC
///MSport-DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2012 X5 35d

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Well, if you don't know, now you know

Attached Images

10-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #919
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportDC View Post
It’s nice to see that for the 4 and G8X they stopped the growth of the kidneys into the headlights. On some of the new cars like the 7 it looks a bit like the grille is alive and going to cover the headlights. None of that with the G80, the grille is back in it’s place.

Last edited by solstice; 10-27-2019 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #920
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Pretty sure Bangle cars actually sold the most!
      10-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #921
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Pretty sure Bangle cars actually sold the most!
Yup, it did. It did however take a little time for the market to accept it. But once sales took off they REALLY did. There’s a lot of interesting stuff to read from and about Bangle and Hooydonk. Disheartening stuff for those here hoping that they can force a change of this direction for sure.

Last edited by solstice; 10-27-2019 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24977.50
stein_325i25075.00
BMWRL596.00
      10-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #922
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicolorado View Post
BMW seems obsessed with breaking from past design elements and traditions instead of respecting and evolving in an incrementally handsome way. I say this as a practicing industrial designer with an automotive background and Transportation Design training from Art Center. I feel this is a case of the designer's ego trying to make its mark and create controversy regardless of the impact to an attractive design. This is non-conservative and "edgy" in the wrong way. [...] I'll withhold final judgement until I see it completely, but these grilles are so poorly done, it's hard to imagine the full picture will improve things. It certainly won't be sitting in my garage."
With oversized front end grilles as apparent new design language, BMW is hitting a sensitive nerve among its loyal fanbase. If research pointed out that such design feature would be trending in some markets, then consider making a special edition for those markets. But don't disregard the main 'bread & butter' market or be overly confident that the main market will adapt to the radical design change. Car enthusiasts may vent their discomfort on car forums. But most displeased customers won't post comments - they simply quietly go buy their next car elsewhere. And BMW may possibly wonder whether it's because of the economy.
IM2C2066.50
      10-27-2019, 06:57 PM   #923
PAC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mthusiast View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Really?? An M3 isn't characterized by looks. Could have fooled me for the past 2+ decades

The fact that it's not quite as iconic as the 911 doesn't address the fundamental point, which is that radicalized design is not required for ongoing success. The argument that this pending design upheaval is a must denies the success of countless examples currently on the market.

They don't have to do it, but they are doing it. And that's why so many long-time M enthusiasts feel like sending an FU right back. Hopefully, by the way, to a productive end. It's not just pointless bitching. This wouldn't be the first time a loyal customer base has convinced a performance car co. to change course.

I think the above picture actually belies the point you're trying to make. 99.9% of the population looks at that image and shrugs as they just see a bunch of vanilla 3 Series cars. It's also a reminder that most of these models had very little competition in the segment. Today is different and for better or worse, BMW wants ordinary people to know an M3 from a 330i and for non-ordinary people, they feel they need to do something beyond great driving dynamics to compete and attract the next generation of buyers (i.e. not the people who bought and still pine for those M3s of yesteryear). However enthusiastic, the small population of current owners isn't a big enough market to support the M division over the next 15+ years. Most who focus on performance over aesthetics will stay and, while this certainly isn't true for everyone on this forum, if you do hate this design, there's a reasonable chance that it simply means you're not the target demo anymore.
Absolutely agree that BMW needs a shakeup in their exterior and interior design philosophy. But have you seen the general public's reaction to the concept 4? If you think we're being harsh here, wait till you see what the rest of the world thinks.
Couldn't disagree more. A shake up isn't making the cars look like utter crap with buck tooth grilles. Check out what Audi/VW do. Look at how the golf 8 looks, you know it's a golf but it's improved.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2019, 08:25 PM   #924
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:

Quote:
You might want to fact check that.
The E65 had record sales but that didn't happened until after after the LCI facelift to rid of the Bangle butt. Same as this generation. If the G80 will have record sales, it won't be until after the LCI facelift to rid of the swollen kidney.
Appreciate 0