BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-30-2019, 02:40 PM   #991
RocketTR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi

Now what am I going to do? I was seriously considering returning to BMW since Audi stopped offering manual transmissions across their entire line-up. But now looking at this, I think the M2 might be my only option....

And I obviously like big grilles, but BMW is not Audi. They screwed this one up big time.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #992
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk.7 Golf R

I'll buy one if I'm in the market for it. Sounds according to you guys there will be plenty of supply
      10-30-2019, 10:39 PM   #993
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

F-ing hideous can't believe a mature person at BMW signed off on this. could be fake photoshop....

Last edited by speedmaster20d; 10-30-2019 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 11:51 PM   #994
truep287
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Azurite Black

Hideous.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 12:05 AM   #995
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

I bet BMW is working OT updating the front end as we speak. Why else is it delayed for another year when it's pretty much production ready?

In all my years being in the BMW community, I've never seen this much negativity around a style/design change. I doubt everyone at BMW was on board with these huge grilles. There's gotta be some traditionalists there who opposed this direction but were overridden. BMW probably didn't expect this overwhelmingly negative response and is having second thoughts. At least that is what I'm hoping.
Appreciate 2
      10-31-2019, 05:00 AM   #996
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Lol what in the world is this?
BMW literally diving itself into the ground.
I have always thought BMW > Audi, Benz in looks.
This one picture is more than enough to completely change that.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:38 AM   #997
RocketTR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Massive grille is clearly coming. It's seems naive to assume its going to be changed at this point.

It's a disaster, and it no longer makes the g80 a viable option for me - but we are where we are.

I hope critics and enthusiasts push back to the extent where BMW finally acknowledges that they dropped the ball.

Fine if they want to go ahead and butcher an x1, or candidly, even the likes of the 7, but the m3 is the lifeblood of the brand, and this kind of nonsense isolates the majority of an enthusiast base that doesn't exist to the same extent with any other BMW model. People are clearly annoyed.

In my mind, it's a decision that feels impulsive in every respect. Not sure how anyone in their right mind can say the grille looks better than if it were the same dimensions as the g20...
I agree.....the 3- and 4-series cars were not the cars to experiment with a radical new design element, especially one that it so obviously going to be hugely controversial.

This is worse than the Bangle-Butt era. Imagine this new nose with a Bangle Butt on the back side? LOL, might just be the ugliest car ever made.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #998
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I bet BMW is working OT updating the front end as we speak. Why else is it delayed for another year when it's pretty much production ready?

In all my years being in the BMW community, I've never seen this much negativity around a style/design change. I doubt everyone at BMW was on board with these huge grilles. There's gotta be some traditionalists there who opposed this direction but were overridden. BMW probably didn't expect this overwhelmingly negative response and is having second thoughts. At least that is what I'm hoping.
Since you're in my area, let's wager a good old In & Out combo #1 that nothing changes about the size of the grills. You in?

The business case for the delay was already laid out by Ibiza (...in the "M President defends....." thread) and others, and the rationale is solid.
Appreciate 1
JTO245274.50
      10-31-2019, 09:37 AM   #999
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Since you're in my area, let's wager a good old In & Out combo #1 that nothing changes about the size of the grills. You in?

The business case for the delay was already laid out by Ibiza (...in the "M President defends....." thread) and others, and the rationale is solid.
Sounds good!😄👍
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25089.50
      10-31-2019, 10:07 AM   #1000
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Bring March actually! Haven't seen that guy in a while! I'm sure he'd get a good laugh out of these ugly ass grilles
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25089.50
      10-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #1001
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

I hope this is an early April fools joke because I will not pay to drive a car that i do not like. I will be looking a benz or even a M2. Does not make sense to pay such an expensive car note for something that you do not like. Some people like the new grills and to each their own.

I have seen the x7 on the road with the huge obnoxious grills and I always pass by to see the person who would drive such a hideous truck. Some people buy these cars for just to say they have a BMW no matter how bad they look. BMW will be losing a lot of business from real car enthusiasts in the long run.
Appreciate 1
J-RO2095.00
      10-31-2019, 12:25 PM   #1002
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Looks has never been on the top 5 reasons I’ve been buying BMWs for a very long time. More often than not there’s been other cars with better looks.

If a car has top ergonomics, driving dynamics, quality, dealer backup and value I’ll buy it even if others look better. BMW has always been the top choice for me when combining those aspects.

Of course there is a limit of ugliness one can accept but no BMW in the segments I’ve been shopping have reached it. This latest one as in the 4 concept actually looks to be one of my favorite BMW designs. The leaked G80 front as well but the rest of the car inherit a lot of stale G20 design. I would still by it if I was in the market for a 4 door.

Every time I get into the driver seat of another brand it just doesn’t feel right. Except Porsche which feel better but the value isn’t there. Great cars but overpriced.
Appreciate 2
2011zx10R427.00
Sedan_Clan25089.50
      10-31-2019, 12:59 PM   #1003
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Bring March actually! Haven't seen that guy in a while! I'm sure he'd get a good laugh out of these ugly ass grilles
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds good!😄👍

Sweet! We're on! Hahaha! I might even tax you for a strawberry shake upgrade bro.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #1004
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sweet! We're on! Hahaha! I might even tax you for a strawberry shake upgrade bro.
Don't get ahead of yourself now!

Let's see what BMW does first hahah
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #1005
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Don't get ahead of yourself now!

Let's see what BMW does first hahah
Photos of aforementioned In & Out Bimmerpost luncheon coming soon. Lol!
Appreciate 1
JTO245274.50
      10-31-2019, 06:37 PM   #1006
m3welt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I just wish the front looked like this
Attached Images

84 R100 RT Cafι Racer

Past:
2005 E46 ZCP M3 Silver Grey 6MT
1998 E36 M3 Silver 5MT
1968 E10 2002 Roundie Grey 4MT
2018 F87 M2 BSM 6MT
Appreciate 6
DZ F30303.50
J-RO2095.00
TimmyM56241.50
      11-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #1007
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3welt View Post
I just wish the front looked like this
That basically looks like an F8X. No thanks!
Appreciate 2
JTO245274.50
solstice5456.50
      11-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #1008
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
...nawww, it looks EXAXTLY like what would have been called the M version of the G20!!!!!!! Aka the G80!!!!!

While we can agree that other iteration of the M3 sedan has used the front end of the coupe, never has there been such a stark(and ugly) difference in overall design until this generation.

In seeing the new Alpina offering, I wonder if BMW will give to the US market the option to decide who is right in this discussion.

Offer the new Alpina thru their US dealer network and put it on the showroom floor as an option and the “free” market can decide.

Thats the only way to ever determine who is right in this argument.

Now i know they will never do this, but clearly this would prove out whether bmw made the right decision or highlight how far off the market they are.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #1009
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
You beat me to it. Another 7 years of the same look, 14 years of virtually no progress/change, no thanks. Thankfully Scott26 has confirmed once and for all that the leaked NEW design language is what we will get, zero chance of another round of the OLD stuff.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25089.50
      11-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #1010
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Quote:
...nawww, it looks EXAXTLY like what would have been called the M version of the G20!!!!!!! Aka the G80!!!!!

While we can agree that other iteration of the M3 sedan has used the front end of the coupe, never has there been such a stark(and ugly) difference in overall design until this generation.

In seeing the new Alpina offering, I wonder if BMW will give to the US market the option to decide who is right in this discussion.

Offer the new Alpina thru their US dealer network and put it on the showroom floor as an option and the “free” market can decide.

Thats the only way to ever determine who is right in this argument.

Now i know they will never do this, but clearly this would prove out whether bmw made the right decision or highlight how far off the market they are.
However valid your statement is, that doesn't change my position. The car looks way too similar to the F8X, thus, I personally find it uninteresting (...much like I find a G20 uninteresting). If the new car was actually designed that way, there wouldn't be much incentive to spend another $80k. I don't necessarily want the replacement to look like the outgoing model. The E46 didn't look like the E36. The E9X didn't look like the E46, and the F8X doesn't look like the E9X. Sure, the G8X is the most significant aesthetic redesign, but I welcome something fresh......in whatever form that comes.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #1011
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
You beat me to it. Another 7 years of the same look, 14 years of virtually no progress/change, no thanks. Thankfully Scott26 has confirmed once and for all that the leaked NEW design language is what we will get, zero chance of another round of the OLD stuff.
I agree. People will have their opinions, and they are entitled to them, but I would have been disappointed looking at a F8X replica for another 7 years.
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      11-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #1012
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
However valid your statement is, that doesn't change my position. The car looks way too similar to the F8X, thus, I personally find it uninteresting (...much like I find a G20 uninteresting). If the new car was actually designed that way, there wouldn't be much incentive to spend another $80k. I don't necessarily want the replacement to look like the outgoing model. The E46 didn't look like the E36. The E9X didn't look like the E46, and the F8X doesn't look like the E9X. Sure, the G8X is the most significant aesthetic redesign, but I welcome something fresh......in whatever form that comes.
I wont argue that the G20 is perhaps a small evolution (perhaps even boring) vs revolutionary design, but thats what bmw did and the G80 is supposed to be the M version of the G20.

This is my biggest issue, if they were so sure of their design and all in on the bucktooth bandit then the G20 should look like this too.

If they wanted to differentiate the 3er vs 4er (which they say is the case) well they have a 4 door 4er platform, ie the GC, that could have been the offering to satisfy their perceived need for 2 different 4 door vehicles nearly identical in size and performance.

Its their lack of conviction in their decisions that are as concerning as the design fail as their executive team is directionless.

They could have easily offered the G80 as the M version of the G20 (imagine that!) and then offered a new model called the M4GC with this front end and then all issues are solved.

They satisfy their loyal, traditional enthusiasts (which btw are terrified of beavers ) and they expand their product offering and perhaps markets with a fresh (according to you) design with four doors to satisfy the need for such a vehicle of this size.

The answer is so simple that it literally shocks me that nobody in a decision making role at BMW had the foresight or fortitude to make this decision.

They literally make a model for every perceived submarket in existence, and yet they go and f-up arguably their most important M model.

BMW, im glad to jump in and help whenever you are ready for me!!!! 30+ years of continuous BMW ownership ready to help NOW!!!!

SCOTT can you hear me now
Appreciate 2
gblansten1976.50