Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Carplay sucks

06-07-2022, 12:30 PM   #23
Jadenkid22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls49bmw View Post
Wireless Car Play works well for me. However, wired makes the use of Car Play pretty much a non issue for most users.

When I've rented a car that has Car Play, I just plug my phone in using the wire I brought with me, and I'm up and running. That wouldn't be quite as easy if the rental car required a wireless connection.

I'm not sure why car makers like BMW went for wireless.
Exactly! Wired is just plug and play no issues. At least give the option for both
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 05:51 AM   #24
beldriver
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Carplay works fine but if you have a heads up display, it will only show navigation from Apple Maps.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 07:09 AM   #25
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I use navigation a lot in my car, and I don’t like CarPlay because I can’t easily zoom the maps in and out.

With the BMW nav I can use the iDrive dial to zoom in when I get closer to a turn or want to find a street name, and then zoom back out to a bigger map view when I want to know the entire route. With CarPlay I have to use the touchscreen to change the map scale, and that is not easy to do reliably without looking at the screen if the car is bouncing along.

I want to know more about the route than the next couple of turns because some routes can get very screwy. The GPS calculation is based on speed limits and distance. Sometimes a route is bad/slow/complicated because of excessive traffic lights or a school zone, and like to have a better idea of the big picture of the route.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #26
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenkid22 View Post
I LOVE Carplay, but WIRED!!!!!! Coming from Hondas/Acuras it was so easy to just connect the wire and you're good to go.

This Wireless thing is crap.

Sometimes connects perfectly, Sometimes I sit there 5 mins to get it going. Maybe it's the fact I have a XS max. Wife has 13 pro max and says she only had an issue once.
I have a 13 pro and its still iffy at times. My wife has wired carplay in her mazda CX5 and it works 100% of the time. I'm still hoping a wired aftermarket solution comes out at some point.
      08-15-2022, 05:37 PM   #27
Buckeye Bimmer
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive Sedan

Works great in my new to me 2020 330i xdrive. Worked for me the first time I tried it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #28
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

I've found more that it's the iPhone, not the car playing up.

Especially if you are near a known Wi-Fi network, you mr phone will try to connect to that instead of the bmw one of the dog al is strong enough as it's preferred.

So, if you have signed up to one of those free wifi providers that has the same SSID Wherever you go, turn off "connect automatically "
Appreciate 0