2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Auto Gearbox

04-01-2024, 11:49 AM   #1
Arthur55
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

Auto Gearbox

Sorry again for another question.......

Does the auto transmission learn your driving style?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:16 PM   #2
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur55 View Post
Sorry again for another question.......

Does the auto transmission learn your driving style?

I can't confirm for certain but I think it does. Recently idrive crashed in may car eventually requiring me to remove my profile and completely reset the system. The car including the gearbox seemed to drive differently (less smoothly) for a few miles after that.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:24 PM   #3
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Yes it does, but I believe the data is stored at car rather than driver level.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 01:31 PM   #4
Arthur55
Private
Rep

Thanks both.

Reason I ask is that as I get to know the car better I feel that when totally cold (left overnight), the shifts aren't quite as smooth as I thought they were. The car has 8k on it.

When I initially got it I did drive it very light footed. More used to the auto now (always had manuals before). I think for the first 1!2 a mile it almost wants to shift up a bit late. But I have to drive very slowly as our estate is tight for the first part.

Very smooth when warm. Car is a 320i.

I've seen you can reset the throttle pedal? Does this work or do anything?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:41 PM   #5
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

I've certainly noticed that after the last ID7 (Pre-LCI) update my car at first would be very keen to engage regen braking when I let off the throttle.

But over time the car seems to have learned that I want the car to coast more when approaching a set of traffic lights that are red.

As for the gearbox, I'm still after 6 months of ownership of my first auto box, still having a few minor issues with it.

For example, (in Comfort mode) every time I turn of the main road into the side road to enter the estate my house is in, the car, even with me off the brakes and back on the throtle again, it will continue to slow to the point it feels like the car is about to stall and I nearly come to an abrupt stop before the car detects that I'm back on the throttle and it starts to pick up again.

But the odd thing is, the rest of the time it's fairly well behaved, it only does this (and consistently) at that junction, and that junction alone
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 01:24 AM   #6
Arthur55
Private
Rep

That sounds odd.......does yours have MHT?

I also noticed on mine that when 'chugging' behind Mr Slow at the weekend the car wanted to be in too higher gear, so that when the chap in front found the accelerator pedal, mine really needed to drop down one. I put the gearbox in sport and it was so much better holding the revs slightly higher.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 01:34 AM   #7
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Sounds like perfectly normal behaviour to me. If the car is cold it will want to change up slightly later in order to warm the car quicker but this is at odds with pottering around a housing estate so that's just how it is.

You can reset the throttle adaptions but I wouldn't recommend it.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 01:34 AM   #8
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
That sounds odd.......does yours have MHT?

I also noticed on mine that when 'chugging' behind Mr Slow at the weekend the car wanted to be in too higher gear, so that when the chap in front found the accelerator pedal, mine really needed to drop down one. I put the gearbox in sport and it was so much better holding the revs slightly higher.
My car has MHT, yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 01:42 AM   #9
Arthur55
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Sounds like perfectly normal behaviour to me. If the car is cold it will want to change up slightly later in order to warm the car quicker but this is at odds with pottering around a housing estate so that's just how it is.

You can reset the throttle adaptions but I wouldn't recommend it.
When cold it's more about the smoothness of the change, I'll have to just drive it normally without anticipating any change. It's under warranty anyway.

I'm not an expert, but can the level of MHT regen be altered?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 03:43 AM   #10
MisterG
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring, TVR Chimaera

Quote:
When cold it's more about the smoothness of the change, I'll have to just drive it normally without anticipating any change. It's under warranty anyway.

I'm not an expert, but can the level of MHT regen be altered?
It's a normal habit of autoboxes to behave differently when cold. the gearbox oil viscosity varies a lot over the operating temperature - and this behaviour changes over time as the oil ages too - the gearbox software tries its best to adjust for it, but as you can imagine - the chance for it to learn/adjust for a specific "lower" temperature is very slim.

The gearbox will also modify shift patterns when cold to help it get to operating temperature quicker, ie allowing more torque convertor slip and holding gears a bit longer.

My '21 MHT has 53k miles on it, and the first couple of gear changes on a cold morning are always a bit 'lumpy'

No doubt a gearbox fluid change would smooth it out - ZF recommend around 60k miles, BMW say its sealed for life
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 04:31 AM   #11
Arthur55
Private
Rep

That's all noted.......

Be interesting if we ever get some warm weather and see if ambient temp makes any difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 05:26 AM   #12
Arthur55
Private
Rep

Been getting used to the autogearbox a bit more. Love it on open roads, but not quite so much in town.

I know it's personal opinion, but can I ask about downshifts....

when braking to a stop, sometimes it feels like on the last couple of downshifts, the revs aren't matched and you feel like you are also feeling a lot of engine braking.

Difficult to describe but almost like changing down on a manual but not picking up the revs to smooth the downshift out.....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 11:56 AM   #13
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tok'Ra View Post
I've certainly noticed that after the last ID7 (Pre-LCI) update my car at first would be very keen to engage regen braking when I let off the throttle.

But over time the car seems to have learned that I want the car to coast more when approaching a set of traffic lights that are red.

As for the gearbox, I'm still after 6 months of ownership of my first auto box, still having a few minor issues with it.

For example, (in Comfort mode) every time I turn of the main road into the side road to enter the estate my house is in, the car, even with me off the brakes and back on the throtle again, it will continue to slow to the point it feels like the car is about to stall and I nearly come to an abrupt stop before the car detects that I'm back on the throttle and it starts to pick up again.

But the odd thing is, the rest of the time it's fairly well behaved, it only does this (and consistently) at that junction, and that junction alone
I’m pretty sure 3 Series MHT cars do not have regenerative braking - but please correct me if I’m wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 12:18 PM   #14
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb993 View Post
I’m pretty sure 3 Series MHT cars do not have regenerative braking - but please correct me if I’m wrong.
They have “adaptive recuperation” (p324 in the manual), I always assumed that was the same thing?

Edit: can’t be, it says “brake not pressed” is a condition of the recuperation working. Must be using engine braking to regenerate power during coasting then I guess? Manual doesn’t really say exactly how it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 02:30 PM   #15
Arthur55
Private
Rep

Thanks for the update.......

To clarify the feeling is when the downshift actually takes place.

Perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 03:13 PM   #16
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
They have “adaptive recuperation” (p324 in the manual), I always assumed that was the same thing?

Edit: can’t be, it says “brake not pressed” is a condition of the recuperation working. Must be using engine braking to regenerate power during coasting then I guess? Manual doesn’t really say exactly how it works.
Yes, I think that's how it works. What I thought was regen braking was just the auto gearbox bropping down a gear by it's self, and the additional engine braking that would result from that.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2024, 04:59 AM   #17
MisterG
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring, TVR Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post

Adaptive recuperation is based on the front view camera... eg if you are "coasting" and it thinks the car in front is getting closer - it'll reengage and restart the engine so it can recuperate energy into the MHT battery, almost like preempting pushing the brakes.

Its pretty crude - Maybe the cars with DAP and a radar sensor are a bit smoother.
Appreciate 1
alFR52.00
      04-18-2024, 05:48 AM   #18
Arthur55
Private
Rep

My car hasn't got MHT, but I know that the normal car battery is charged in certain circumstances.

I don't know if these slight downshift issues at slow speed are when the normal battery is charging. I normally use D or Sport, which has no display indication to tell me. I think eco pro does indicate battery charging on the display when certain conditions are met. I'll have a look at that.

The car is under warranty anyway so I can always ask for it to be checked.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 05:53 AM   #19
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Sounds to me like there is absolutely nothing wrong with your car.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 06:23 AM   #20
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
My car hasn't got MHT, but I know that the normal car battery is charged in certain circumstances.

I don't know if these slight downshift issues at slow speed are when the normal battery is charging. I normally use D or Sport, which has no display indication to tell me. I think eco pro does indicate battery charging on the display when certain conditions are met. I'll have a look at that.

The car is under warranty anyway so I can always ask for it to be checked.
The MPG widget on the dash or the main "power display" on the iDrive will show if the battery is being charged.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:20 AM   #21
Arthur55
Private
Rep

Thanks all....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 01:18 AM   #22
C225
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i XDrive

Quote:
Been getting used to the autogearbox a bit more. Love it on open roads, but not quite so much in town.

I know it's personal opinion, but can I ask about downshifts....

when braking to a stop, sometimes it feels like on the last couple of downshifts, the revs aren't matched and you feel like you are also feeling a lot of engine braking.

Difficult to describe but almost like changing down on a manual but not picking up the revs to smooth the downshift out.....
My 2020 320i is exactly the same as you describe, it makes it hard to come to a smooth stop, matching teh breaking to the engine breaking of the gear downshifts.

I don't think there is anything wrong however as after driving many different BMW's over the years as hire cars it's just how they are, maybe the newer ones with MHT smooth it out a bit but i've not driven one. It's certainly a bit jerkier than the Mercedes CLA i had a few years back but no where bad enough to actually put me off the car.
Appreciate 0