Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Replacement Key Card not responding/recognised

02-22-2024, 01:15 PM   #1
vipers
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d

Question Replacement Key Card not responding/recognised

I lost my original (credit card style) key card for my 3-series so bought a replacement off eBay, assuming I could just pop it in the car, delete my old one and pair this one. However, when I try and add the key, it just asks me to put it in the charging tray but doesn't recognise it. I've tried rebooting the iDrive unit, tried resetting the digital key data etc but it doesn't pick it up.
If I hold the card to my phone, NFC tools picks it up so its obviously emitting an NFC 'signal', but my BMW doesn't 'see it'. I've had a replacement sent out and that exhibits the exact same behaviour. I don’t know if this is because they are used or what?

Anything I can do to get this to work? Any advice welcomed

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 02:54 PM   #2
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipers View Post
I lost my original (credit card style) key card for my 3-series so bought a replacement off eBay, assuming I could just pop it in the car, delete my old one and pair this one.
Seriously? Is that how easy it is for someome to steal a BMW? Have you thought about that?

The keycard has to be programmed to your car for it to work — just like the standard key fob.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 06:07 PM   #3
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

When I bought one of the first BMWs that enabled card keys, the early cars were shipped without them.

My dealer had to order it through the parts department and I had to give them my registration to prove I was the owner.

I don’t think you can just pick up an eBay one and make it work easily.
      02-22-2024, 06:27 PM   #4
arkhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 540i

The card keys are preprogrammed with the VIN on it from the manufacturer.

You would have to order one from your dealer specifically for your VIN/car.

https://bmwtechinfo.bmwgroup.com/sib...ober_2021).pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 02:30 AM   #5
vipers
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Seriously? Is that how easy it is for someome to steal a BMW? Have you thought about that?

The keycard has to be programmed to your car for it to work — just like the standard key fob.
No, you have to have the original key fob in the car to program the key card, so I assumed thats the safety aspect ticked off. After all, if you have the key fob, a credit card is the least of your worries.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:45 AM   #6
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipers View Post
No, you have to have the original key fob in the car to program the key card, so I assumed thats the safety aspect ticked off. After all, if you have the key fob, a credit card is the least of your worries.
That's for the digital key not the keycard - and yes, to setup digital key on your phone you need both keys and access to the app or link. The keycard can't be self-programmed
Appreciate 0