Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK COVID19 - Driving

03-30-2020, 04:04 AM   #1
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Touring

COVID19 - Driving

This thread might spark a lot of opinions but hopefully not as many as the one over on Pistonheads which has got out of hand!

How many of you have managed to get out in your cars during this lockdown?

As we know, gov advice states we should only be only be leaving the house for food, medicine, helping others or exercise.

There's been a lot of talk about whether driving somewhere to exercise is ok, some say it is, others say it isn't and it looks like police forces are interpreting it differently, see this article which I thought was interesting - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9430086.html

I've been talking the long way round to the shops via some b roads just to give the car a bit of a run. It saddens me to look at the new M340i sat on my drive. If I knew this would have happened I wouldn't have bought it!

Also as a regular runner, I prefer running in parks that are a few miles from my house. At the weekend as a family we drove out to a nature reserve about 20 mins away deliberately because I knew it would be empty of people, and it was. If we walk around near home we always encounter people.

It's a tricky one as being on the road obviously increases the change of an accident and therefore the load on the NHS etc. You can't infect anyone just driving but stopping for fuel etc. you could.

In my mind it's all about common sense, I don't think driving a few miles away to a remote place to exercise is a big issue especially if it's far away from other people.

What are your thoughts on it?

Going to be a challenge with the wifes car with that being a diesel as it should be going for regular journeys.

Thoughts?

I've signed up as a volunteer to hopefully help with medicine transport/food deliveries etc.

Last edited by sharepointalex; 03-30-2020 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:58 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

They set out rules for a reason and if we all just bent them a bit, well where would that end.

Like you I look at the car on the drive and think going for a good drive would make me and it feel better, but so far it has been resisted..... now hasn't moved for over a week (apart from half a yard forward and half a yard back to get in the garage)....and cant see when it will move in the foreseeable!
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      03-30-2020, 06:04 AM   #3
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
They set out rules for a reason and if we all just bent them a bit, well where would that end.

Like you I look at the car on the drive and think going for a good drive would make me and it feel better, but so far it has been resisted..... now hasn't moved for over a week (apart from half a yard forward and half a yard back to get in the garage)....and cant see when it will move in the foreseeable!
Yeah you're right - shame that folk driving to the beach/snowdonia etc. have set a bad example.

I'll have to stick to my once a week run to the shops via the longer route and put the wifes car on the trickle charger!

The motorbike however will have to continue staying in the garage
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:12 AM   #4
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Tanked the car up at £1:02 per litre but only use the car on electric to do home shopping and shopping for my elderly parents ( can’t get home delivery slots) who live three miles away.

Anything else car wise is unimportant and unnecessary at this time imho.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      03-30-2020, 06:15 AM   #5
Andy-1878
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d Xdrive

It is hard, I only recently picked up my car and now it's just sat not moving. Just enjoy the necessary shop trips and, if you've signed up as a volunteer that will hopefully help to quench your driving needs, as well as helping people at the same time.

Everyone is in the same boat, stick to the rules and we can hope that by doing so it will cut the time down that we can't drive about.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      03-30-2020, 06:16 AM   #6
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

I wish mine had been delivered today rather than being stuck in Thorne or Southampton (no one seems to know!). I need to go for a long drive on Saturday as a key worker and could try it out then!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 07:12 AM   #7
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

I've been tempted to just go for a drive as I'm not in contact with anyone plus the roads are nice and empty. Had to refrain just in case anything happens and rather not waste an ambulance and paramedics time just because I wanted to go for a drive.

I might give the car a wash though as sitting on the drive it's been collecting dust.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      03-30-2020, 08:47 AM   #8
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanli722 View Post
I've been tempted to just go for a drive as I'm not in contact with anyone plus the roads are nice and empty. Had to refrain just in case anything happens and rather not waste an ambulance and paramedics time just because I wanted to go for a drive.

I might give the car a wash though as sitting on the drive it's been collecting dust.
Well done on resisting! I've been exactly the same.

I have taken the long route to the shops which granted isn't a direct route but I haven't gone out 'just for a drive' yet and will have to keep resisting.

Nice thing is that the M340 seems to warm up quite quickly so it's easy to stretch its legs on a relatively short run.

How you finding your M340?
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      03-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #9
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post
I wish mine had been delivered today rather than being stuck in Thorne or Southampton (no one seems to know!). I need to go for a long drive on Saturday as a key worker and could try it out then!
Damn that sucks

Any ideas how long it will be stuck there for?

Suppose that's one of the good things of being a key worker in that you can keep driving. What is it that you do?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharepointalex View Post
Quote:

Well done on resisting! I've been exactly the same.

I have taken the long route to the shops which granted isn't a direct route but I haven't gone out 'just for a drive' yet and will have to keep resisting.

Nice thing is that the M340 seems to warm up quite quickly so it's easy to stretch its legs on a relatively short run.

How you finding your M340?
It's a big change from a 420d that's for sure. It just picks up speed so quickly and it's not even an M3 or a supercar. But perfect as a family car whilst looking understated.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #11
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's a big change from a 420d that's for sure. It just picks up speed so quickly and it's not even an M3 or a supercar. But perfect as a family car whilst looking understated.
Ditto - my thoughts exactly! It's almost the M3 touring that BMW never built (although the new Alpina B5 is closer!).

I like how refined it is in comfort mode, I've had a few people comment about how relaxed it is when not in sport, considering it's an M Performance car.

I also love the noise! Before all the COVID19 stuff I was working in Birmingham for a client once a week, used to park up in the Q-Park car park in the morning and sit there revving it for a bit just to listen
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #12
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
so fortunately or unfortunately depending on your opinion i have to to work 4 to 5 days a week. i am an ER nurse in California. my wife and kids are home. other tban work we only go out when we need groceries. we also order online when we can.
imho everyone stay home if at all possible. social distancing does and is working in places.
a word of advice, do not get your information on Corona 19 from social media. get it from the CDC Johns Hopkins or your local health department.
when you do go have to go out wash your hands and then wash your hands it really does help.
stay safe all of you
Appreciate 1
73henny500.00
      03-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #13
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
so fortunately or unfortunately depending on your opinion i have to to work 4 to 5 days a week. i am an ER nurse in California. my wife and kids are home. other tban work we only go out when we need groceries. we also order online when we can.
imho everyone stay home if at all possible. social distancing does and is working in places.
a word of advice, do not get your information on Corona 19 from social media. get it from the CDC Johns Hopkins or your local health department.
when you do go have to go out wash your hands and then wash your hands it really does help.
stay safe all of you
Big respect to you and all of those on the front line! It's good to see the social distancing working. I am always VERY careful when I'm out and about and at the supermarket. The other day I almost ran out of one aisle in the supermarket when someone kept walking nearer to me!

Always wash my hands before and thoroughly after and washing fruit/veg etc.

What's the current state of lockdown there?

If only people would get the message here and stop mass gatherings we would start to see a better result.

IMO it's common sense but people just don't seem to get it in the UK sadly.

Whilst I don't live in London so you could argue it doesn't affect me, I would like to see London fully locked down as it is the epicentre after all.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #14
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

In Canada here (but mostly the same protocol around the world right now). I've had to get out and take a few drives and wow was it therapeutic! I also had forgotten how much I love to drive this car! Now I just wish my dealership was open so I could get my winter tires/rims taken off ...not important though with everything going on.
73henny500.00
      03-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #15
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
In Canada here (but mostly the same protocol around the world right now). I've had to get out and take a few drives and wow was it therapeutic! I also had forgotten how much I love to drive this car! Now I just wish my dealership was open so I could get my winter tires/rims taken off ...not important though with everything going on.
Do you not have any police roadblocks over there stopping you getting out?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #16
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Do you not have any police roadblocks over there stopping you getting out?
No not yet, since we aren't technically in a full lockdown. Tons of people are (unfortunately) still out and about...sort of doing the social distancing thing but also not.
      03-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #17
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
If you travel elsewhere you risk transporting the virus to others where it may not arrived yet. Also if you had an accident it means unecessary NHS resource for your trip out. My colleagues are key workers (Field engineering) for factories. I am not but could be asked to support them if situation becomes dire.

I wanted to test charge my car at a public charging point (Tesco FOC).
But have resisted so far unless I need to get essential shopping.
I did 800 miles in my first week (pre lockdown). So the subsequent time I have zero miles. I did think about delaying to post April - cheaper BIK. Wish I had but hey...
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #18
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e

I have been travelling into work through Edinburgh each day, quite eerie as so little traffic.
Not stopped by Police Scotland yet, although a few of my colleagues have been.
We had two officers in today, as our office was broken into on Saturday night, saying how busy they have been.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:07 PM   #19
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
stay safe all of you
Big respect to you and all of those on the front line! It's good to see the social distancing working. I am always VERY careful when I'm out and about and at the supermarket. The other day I almost ran out of one aisle in the supermarket when someone kept walking nearer to me!

Always wash my hands before and thoroughly after and washing fruit/veg etc.

What's the current state of lockdown there?

If only people would get the message here and stop mass gatherings we would start to see a better result.

IMO it's common sense but people just don't seem to get it in the UK sadly.

Whilst I don't live in London so you could argue it doesn't affect me, I would like to see London fully locked down as it is the epicentre after all.
Thanks for the kind words. Wouldn't call it lock down. Just no unnecessary travel , police will fine/ ticket you if your just out tooling around. Some cities or counties have a nighttime curfew. Exceptions for the obvious police fire EMS doctors nurses and pew hospital work for supermarkets gas stations and pharmacies. There are a few other essential services too. I do pick up stuff a the store on way home from work so my wife does not have to go out. We do feel a bit house bound, we are staying the course.

Best to all
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 12:54 AM   #20
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i xdrive

I just travelled offshore from Aberdeen. So managed to have a decent run in the new M340i (mrs drove it back home). Got it 3 weeks ago and it’s been it’s first long distance journey. Wasn’t stopped at any point on the trip, did notice still quite a few travelling for work (I assume).
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 02:56 AM   #21
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew474 View Post
I just travelled offshore from Aberdeen. So managed to have a decent run in the new M340i (mrs drove it back home). Got it 3 weeks ago and it’s been it’s first long distance journey. Wasn’t stopped at any point on the trip, did notice still quite a few travelling for work (I assume).
Nice - did you enjoy the empty roads? 👍🏻

Interesting article in sky news today - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news....ppers-11965903

Seems a lot of forces getting quite heavy handed and it’s not actually illegal to go for a drive or drive somewhere to do your exercise. Be interesting to see if police tactics change after this.

I’m still debating driving a few miles down the road for my run tomorrow night but will probably resist until we need shopping again.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:24 AM   #22
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Quote:
Damn that sucks

Any ideas how long it will be stuck there for?

Suppose that's one of the good things of being a key worker in that you can keep driving. What is it that you do?
I am a pilot and flying essential cargo instead of passengers on Saturday.

No idea on the delay as dealer is following the guidelines and shut until mid April. So frustrating!
Appreciate 0