Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Transportation damage - painted over

03-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
BeagleKCH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d xDrive M Sport

Transportation damage - painted over

Hi All

I know there are more important things in life at the minute, but I'd appreciate your thoughts. I took delivery of a brand new G20 on 11/2/20 from a main BMW dealership [Dealer A]. I have only just discovered, when paint started to peel from the front bumper, and when I took the car into a different (my local) BMW dealership, that there has been significant re-painting of the bumper to hide what is likely transportation damage. The car had only 30 miles on the clock on delivery. This is not covered by BMW's warranty. At the time of purchase, I was told by the selling dealer that the car came from stock from another dealer [Dealer B], although I don't know who that was. When my local dealer saw the car, 2 of the guys spotted the repainting from 10 feet away. It seems to me that Dealer A either very well knew of the damage, or didn't inspect it properly before delivery to me. The quote I have been given by my local dealer to put it all right is £1,729.15. I have e-mailed 2 people from Dealer A and had no response. I have contacted them via Twitter and they have yet to reply. I'm fuming. Any thoughts on my rights? Would BMW UK likely help me out to knock heads together. I just want it sorted, but I don't want Dealer A to do the work, since I have lost faith in them completely.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleKCH View Post
Hi All

I know there are more important things in life at the minute, but I'd appreciate your thoughts. I took delivery of a brand new G20 on 11/2/20 from a main BMW dealership [Dealer A]. I have only just discovered, when paint started to peel from the front bumper, and when I took the car into a different (my local) BMW dealership, that there has been significant re-painting of the bumper to hide what is likely transportation damage. The car had only 30 miles on the clock on delivery. This is not covered by BMW's warranty. At the time of purchase, I was told by the selling dealer that the car came from stock from another dealer [Dealer B], although I don't know who that was. When my local dealer saw the car, 2 of the guys spotted the repainting from 10 feet away. It seems to me that Dealer A either very well knew of the damage, or didn't inspect it properly before delivery to me. The quote I have been given by my local dealer to put it all right is £1,729.15. I have e-mailed 2 people from Dealer A and had no response. I have contacted them via Twitter and they have yet to reply. I'm fuming. Any thoughts on my rights? Would BMW UK likely help me out to knock heads together. I just want it sorted, but I don't want Dealer A to do the work, since I have lost faith in them completely.
Slimy bar stewards.

I’d suggest a calm approach to dealer A with support from dealer B if possible. If no resolution escalate with a communication to BMW UK and copy to BMW AG
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
BeagleKCH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Slimy bar stewards.

I’d suggest a calm approach to dealer A with support from dealer B if possible. If no resolution escalate with a communication to BMW UK and copy to BMW AG
Thanks.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      03-24-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Why don't you look at rejecting the car. . I would be p***** off if it happened to me. You set out to buy a new car not a repaired car.

Letter template below.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...-from-a-dealer

https://www.directline.com/car-cover...ting-a-new-car
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 3
      03-25-2020, 01:10 AM   #5
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Hi All

I had a similar issue on my f34 that I bought with 57 miles on it.

I insisted on seeing all invoices relating to work done on the car pre-delivery; I forget the name of the system but BMW dealers have a centralised record of work carried out where the cost is claimed back from 'BMW central' - I uncovered a bill for over £4K for replacing a panoramic sunroof and repainting the back end of the car.

If you can't get the information from the dealer you bought it from insist they tell you who the 'supplying dealer' is and ask them; no reason for them to hide anything.

As above a genial approach to the selling dealer Is always the best starting point....however, I got quite frustrated by the lack of inertia and arranged a face to face meeting (always more effective than email/telephone!) with the managing director of the dealership who, in fairness, was pretty appalled by the tale I had to tell and treated me like royalty from that point - I even had an 8 Series convertible as a courtesy car for two weeks while my car was sorted.

I am surprised to hear that dodgy paint isn't covered by BMW used car warranty - personally I would challenge that; either way, I would have thought it 'not fit for purpose'.

Good luck with it all.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #6
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

A failure to disclose a relevant fact is a breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations - and previous damage that has been repaired would certainly be 'relevant' on a brand new car.
I'd suggest informing the selling dealership of this, making them aware that this is a criminal offence. Then ask what they intend to do about it, before you are forced to go legal on them.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 04:29 AM   #7
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
A failure to disclose a relevant fact is a breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations - and previous damage that has been repaired would certainly be 'relevant' on a brand new car.
I'd suggest informing the selling dealership of this, making them aware that this is a criminal offence. Then ask what they intend to do about it, before you are forced to go legal on them.
I am not disagreeing as I don't know the answer - but I think part of the issue may be that the car was not 'brand new' - the original post suggests that the car was not supplied as 'brand new', the same as in my case where it only had 57 miles on the clock but was sold as "BMW Approved Used Car". In my mind it was 'brand new' but in reality had been registered some months previously. Realistically the expectation is that a brand new unregistered car is 100% perfect, a 'BMW Used ' is what it says......but should be pretty much perfect and in my opinion should not have had bodywork repairs of any sort undertaken.

I am not sure about the need for the repair work to be disclosed either - the Act you mention is vague in terms of what must be disclosed as a 'relevant fact' - brief research suggests it is stuff like 'cat c or d write off'. As ever, the law is vague in detail and open to interpretation. However, I would expect an authorised dealership to be better than this - after all they have a reputation to maintain. And I believe if they are challenged then they will do the right thing...although it may take a bit old perseverance after the initial 'genial' approach.

Last edited by Seaford; 03-26-2020 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 05:44 AM   #8
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
I am not disagreeing as I don't know the answer - but I think part of the issue may be that the car was not 'brand new' - the original post suggests that the car was not supplied as 'brand new', the same as in my case where it only had 57 miles on the clock but was sold as "BMW Approved Used Car". In my mind it was 'brand new' but in reality had been registered some months previously. Realistically the expectation is that a brand new unregistered car is 100% perfect, a 'BMW Used ' is what it says......but should be pretty much perfect and in my opinion should not have had bodywork repairs of any sort undertaken.

I am not sure about the need for the repair work to be disclosed either - the Act you mention is vague in terms of what must be disclosed as a 'relevant fact' - brief research suggests it is stuff like 'cat c or d write off'. As ever, the law is vague in detail and open to interpretation. However, I would expect an authorised dealership to be better than this - after all they have a reputation to maintain. And I believe if they are challenged then they will do the right thing...although it may take a bit old perseverance after the initial 'genial' approach.
I bet if you were returning the car end of lease and they noticed paint pealing from a repair they’d charge you for an approved workshop repair to put it right before going to auction.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 06:01 AM   #9
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

This might be unrelated but I've noticed a small section of paint peeled off on the side of the front bumper on the crease/line running down towards the fog lights.

At first I thought somebody had hit the car but as there were no scratches around it I put it down to a stone chip (still could be)

Will take some photos
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #10
BeagleKCH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post

The car was definitely not sold as 'approved used'. It was unregistered before I bought it and was only registered at the selling dealers. Whilst it wasn't bought to order as a new build, it was certainly sold as brand new.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      03-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #11
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The car was definitely not sold as 'approved used'. It was unregistered before I bought it and was only registered at the selling dealers. Whilst it wasn't bought to order as a new build, it was certainly sold as brand new.
That's good news....gives you even firmer ground to work from.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #12
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320D 2019, current M340i

I hope you get everything sorted. I bought a approved used g20 2019 plate 2 weeks ago and I have since found out that it's had substantial accident repair damage. I understand your frustration.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #13
blau3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 30d

Don't faff on with anything to do with dealer B and also do not allow your local dealer to do any work on the car, as this would likely jeopardise your position with your supplying dealer.

Deal with the dealer you bought the car from, and if they do not repair the car to a satisfactory standard - reject it and have a new one ordered!

If its painted by a BMW approved bodyshop, you will have a guarantee and providing they are a decent bodyshop - you will never know its been done.

You bought a new car and got a repaired one - its that simple and the dealer does not have a leg to stand on.

Also 30 miles on a brand new car is not normal, sounds like its been driven to and from a crappy bodyshop that the dealer has farmed it out to.....
Appreciate 0