Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330i smiles.......

03-28-2020, 06:33 AM   #1
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Talking 330i smiles.......

I hadn't used my 330i for a couple of weeks due to Covid-19 - when I started it this morning I got a 'low battery' warning. Anyway, I was out dropping off Covid19 related stuff this morning, lots of short trips with engine off in between and the message disappeared. When I got home and parked up,the warning message reappeared...

So I went straight out for a run down the coast road to charge the battery up....empty roads, glorious views across the English Channel, clear blue sky, glorious sunshine.......and, although I am not usually heavy with the right foot...the mood took me and I started red lining it....

I know it's only a two liter four pot...but that is a seriously good motor.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
jon0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d XDrive G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
I hadn't used my 330i for a couple of weeks due to Covid-19 - when I started it this morning I got a 'low battery' warning. Anyway, I was out dropping off Covid19 related stuff this morning, lots of short trips with engine off in between and the message disappeared. When I got home and parked up,the warning message reappeared...

So I went straight out for a run down the coast road to charge the battery up....empty roads, glorious views across the English Channel, clear blue sky, glorious sunshine.......and, although I am not usually heavy with the right foot...the mood took me and I started red lining it....

I stuck my 140i on trickle charge today - hasn't been used in weeks and won't be for a good few more..

Regarding 330i - looking at that as replacement - performance on paper seems good and 200kg lighter than M340i.. How do you find the mpg?

Last edited by jon0; 03-29-2020 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon0 View Post
I stuck my 140i on trickle charge today - hasn't been used in weeks and won't be for a good few more..

Regarding 330i - looking at that as replacement - performance on paper seems good and 200kg higher than M340i.. How do you find the mpg?
I generally only do short local trips with a fairly light right foot and average mid 30s mpg. Motorway runs with cruise set at 70 high forties/low fifties.

If you boot it like I did this morning though...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:02 AM   #4
jon0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d XDrive G20

That's good economy. Just need this (as we all do) covid19 to go..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:16 AM   #5
Phippsy81
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport Plu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon0 View Post
That's good economy. Just need this (as we all do) covid19 to go..
I tend to average 29-31mpg with mainly short ish journeys/city driving. Better on a run obviously, and when I don't run it in Sport Individual 😬

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 03:16 AM   #6
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:

Have had the low battery on several cars going back as far as my old 2007 330d. I typically travel for extended periods and also working from home a great deal, the car can stay corralled for up to several months in the past and in the last 6 years typically between 2 to 3 weeks.
Since my F32 435i in 2014 I have used a CTEK battery maintainer when leaving the car for a while or for the 24 hours after return. It makes a huge difference to the way things work on the car. In my opinion the first thing to work differently is the start stop, just not working at all and makes a useful indicator.

The CTEK unit is/was the same as the BMW badged one only a lot cheaper and has a specific setting for AGM batteried cars. I have a permanently attached environmental connector and just hook the unit up by plugging it to the car. Really simple and no dirty actions required at all (I often remove it when suited and booted on the way out to a meeting etc.)
https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Things have moved on a bit since the original post...no way would i go for a blast now, the battery charger would be out!

There's always a nice side - I am involved locally, like many many others, in getting the shopping in and picking up,prescriptions for the vulnerable....had quite a few comments about the nice delivery vehicle!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:33 AM   #8
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Touring

Quote:
Things have moved on a bit since the original post...no way would i go for a blast now, the battery charger would be out!

There's always a nice side - I am involved locally, like many many others, in getting the shopping in and picking up,prescriptions for the vulnerable....had quite a few comments about the nice delivery vehicle!!
I'm the same, I'm using my trips to the supermarket etc. to go for a short drive. Normally take the scenic route to stretch the cars legs a bit and make sure I carry my bags for life.

Interestingly, you can't be banned/fined for just driving, the police have got a lot of stick for how they have handled this. Some interesting articles on it - https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ublic-11966379

I still don't intend to go for a 'blast' per say. I'm going out running tonight and will drive a few miles down the road to run. Again the rules on this aren't clear but I'd rather run somewhere quiet where I won't see anyone.

Like you I've volunteered to help some locally to get a driving fix
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00