Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i noise problem

04-13-2020, 02:36 AM   #1
supboner
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXdrive

I registered my account to report this issue ..

First, I didnt expect that m340i is a quiet car until I had a g20 330i loaner from the dealership when I sent it to service, that 330i is deadly quiet on highway or city...

1. Mine has a whistle noise(like a plane taking off) at A pillar, it doesnt fade away when driving around 55~60mph, and only at this speed range. First I thought its a wind noise from tire cooling area, its so annoying !

2. Front passenger side vent noise. I can't locate where the noise is, inside vent or outside vent, I've tried to clean up the area next to engine bay vent, didn't work.
The sound goes up when you speed up.

3. Today after I installed my front lip and splitters, noise seems coming from the HVAC area(not sure), a high frequency wind noise... hope its not caused by the lip ...

Now I am frustrated and hate to drive my car, I am extremely sensitive to any noticeable noise since I have a career related to sound...

What can I do with this car...

Worst thing is I own it ...

What should I do? Should I take it to a expert bimmer body shop or dealership ?

Should bmw dealership take responsibility for this ?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:26 AM   #2
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
BMW dealerships are usually fairly receptive to obvious noise issues as long as you can reproduce it for them. It actually is part of the new car warranty. So that should be your first stop.

If they try to claim that it's normal, then ask them to take you for a test drive in another M340i with similar options to confirm or refute.

The front lip and spoilers you installed, are they BMW parts? Did you install them yourself? That might cause an issue since dealerships love to blame any issue with any part not installed by an authorized BMW service center and authorized BMW parts. However, there's a good chance it's the cause of at least part of your noise problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:31 AM   #3
supboner
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
BMW dealerships are usually fairly receptive to obvious noise issues as long as you can reproduce it for them. It actually is part of the new car warranty. So that should be your first stop.

If they try to claim that it's normal, then ask them to take you for a test drive in another M340i with similar options to confirm or refute.

The front lip and spoilers you installed, are they BMW parts? Did you install them yourself? That might cause an issue since dealerships love to blame any issue with any part not installed by an authorized BMW service center and authorized BMW parts. However, there's a good chance it's the cause of at least part of your noise problems.
ty for the response.
the noise problem exsited before I got the parts installed even though they are not OEM. Thank you for noting me that the noise problem is party of the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I have a wind whistle coming from the driver mirror at 70+mph. I haven't taken it in for this yet. It's hard to hear with the window up but when the window is down, which I like, it's impossible to miss.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I think the wind whistle is a common occurrence amongst the G20s. Every G20 I’ve driven (multiple 330is and M340is) all had it at 60-65+MPH. I drove many cars after I noticed it in mine and found it to be the same in all those cars.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0