Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New M340I owner

09-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

New M340I owner

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello everyone, I’m new to the BMW family. Came from a q60 redsport. I’m looking into modding this vehicle soon. Hopefully you guys could help
I’ve read that downpipes usually throw a CEL. Would I need a universal 90deg o2 extension to prevent that ?
And as far tuning it what do you guys recommend ? MP, gintani , BM3 ...JB4?..
All info is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Welcome! I came from a Q50 redsport and haven't looked back since. Enjoy the car!

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #4
Voodoo_G80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G

Welcome to the family! A catless will throw a cel but if you plan on tuning your car then it will take care of the cel. As far as which tuner you go with, MP is great. BM3 is more customizable. And I don’t know about the others. Good luck man!
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you, MP is definitely on top of my list. Question for you guys. As far as exhaust set ups go. I just recently saw that AWE has the touring rear section only for sale. Would that with the rest of the stock piping and also with the factory valves ?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I agree with the previous poster if you are one that is inclined to tinker around with settings etc...post install, BM3 would be a good platform for you.

However if are a set it and forget it type of person MP is a great solution...they have tuned my last several cars and I couldn't be happier.

All the major flash tuners (BM3, MHD, Carbauhn, MP) are going to give you about the same level of performance +/-

Given we are both in SoCal - I really enjoy the fact that I can go to the MP shop (Rancho Cucamonga) should I need or want to. I can also pick up the phone and speak with Alex. Having a world class tuner in our backyard that we have physical access to is something special. And is something I certainly took into consideration when making my decision about who I was going to send my money to.

ps- I'm in Huntington Beach by the pier - if you are ever in the neighborhood you are welcome to come drive my Stage 2 car with catted downpipe :-)

Hope this helps and welcome
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
I agree with the previous poster if you are one that is inclined to tinker around with settings etc...post install, BM3 would be a good platform for you.

However if are a set it and forget it type of person MP is a great solution...they have tuned my last several cars and I couldn't be happier.

All the major flash tuners (BM3, MHD, Carbauhn, MP) are going to give you about the same level of performance +/-

Given we are both in SoCal - I really enjoy the fact that I can go to the MP shop (Rancho Cucamonga) should I need or want to. I can also pick up the phone and speak with Alex. Having a world class tuner in our backyard that we have physical access to is something special. And is something I certainly took into consideration when making my decision about who I was going to send my money to.

ps- I'm in Huntington Beach by the pier - if you are ever in the neighborhood you are welcome to come drive my Stage 2 car with catted downpipe :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post

Thank you

Hopefully we could meet up soon , I'm in the Valencia area.
As far as that exhaust set up I was taking about. Would it work ?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfitness20 View Post
As far as that exhaust set up I was taking about. Would it work ?
All AWE exhaust options eliminate the factory valve. This is because the factory valve is post muffler - and all the AWE options eliminate or replace the muffler.

I am running a catted DP through my stock muffler and it is pretty aggressive in sport + and quiets down nicely in comfort.

Depending on your tolerance for loud exhausts if you know you are going to do a DP - I would do that first through the stock muffler, see what you think and then go for the exhaust if you want things louder (or you want quad tips etc..).

Keep in mind the stock M340 exhaust is dual piped and non resonated from the DP to the muffler. So things can get loud real quick :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Hello everyone, I’m new to the BMW family. Came from a q60 redsport. I’m looking into modding this vehicle soon. Hopefully you guys could help
I’ve read that downpipes usually throw a CEL. Would I need a universal 90deg o2 extension to prevent that ?
All info is appreciated!
Welcome!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

With that said I think I'll just go with a catted dp. I just wish there was a way to not get the cel lol. Prior to tuning do we need to upgrade cooling system ?
Thank you all for being supportive
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With that said I think I'll just go with a catted dp. I just wish there was a way to not get the cel lol. Prior to tuning do we need to upgrade cooling system ?
Thank you all for being supportive
Will
ACTIVE AUTOWERKE (AA) BMW SUPRA B58 DOWNPIPE fit my m340i?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #12
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will
ACTIVE AUTOWERKE (AA) BMW SUPRA B58 DOWNPIPE fit my m340i?
yes
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 08:51 PM   #13
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
All info is appreciated!
Welcome, enjoy your M340i in good health. They are awesome cars!
Appreciate 0