Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics iDrive with Android vs Apple

04-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
JoCamp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

iDrive with Android vs Apple

I have and android and my wife has an iPhone. When I connect my phone and listen to Spotify, I get a generic picture for album art on my display. When my wife connects hers, she gets actual album art to display on the iDrive. Am I doing something wrong or is this how it is? Makes me want an iPhone. Haha.... Nooooooo!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
tex0z
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I have encountered the same issue as you and have concluded to the following. We (android users) wont get Album art until android auto is released for the I Drive 7 (current idrive) cars. The last I have heard is this should roll out Summer of 2020. I also think the reason android users only get title information no cover art has to do with how what info the car gets through bluetooh from the android device. The reason I think it works for iOS is because it is compatible with Apple Carplay. Now my train of tought is that since the coding for apple is already there for use of apple car play it is able to grab more of the information over the bluetooth link than the standard audio and title info on android. I am pretty sure my assumptions are correct but this is just how I am able to make sense of it. I havent been able to find much data online to back this so I could be completely wrong. I know this doesn't fix your problem but I hope that by knowing my thought process you can find some closure with the issue. Keep an eye out for any articles on the web about android auto for bmw this comming summer. As I am pretty sure OTA updates have been disabled and can only be done at the dealer. Let me know if you have any questions regarding this further. I have tested using my Pixel 3a, Samsung Galaxy Note 10, and my iPad. I was able to get Album art with the iPad, so i know it at least works on my car. Im not too good with grammar so i appologise for any mistakes.
Appreciate 1
RSnic657.50
      05-14-2020, 12:39 AM   #3
JoCamp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you tex0z for that awesome reply. Sorry it took so long to say something. I won't be getting a new phone until after summer so if there is no update, I may just get an iPhone. I'm sure that will make my whole family happy as they all have Apple products.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Have you tried using the Spotify app in iDrive? When connected your phone should drive the app, but you'll get full support.

I haven't tried this from Android but it should work as you're no longer using the phone directly, but indirectly.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:28 AM   #5
JoCamp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Have you tried using the Spotify app in iDrive? When connected your phone should drive the app, but you'll get full support.

I haven't tried this from Android but it should work as you're no longer using the phone directly, but indirectly.
Yes, this is mainly how I listen to music but no album art.

Then when my 17 yr old son rides with me, he connects his iPhone and album art appears.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCamp View Post
Yes, this is mainly how I listen to music but no album art.

Then when my 17 yr old son rides with me, he connects his iPhone and album art appears.
Does Album Art appear if you use the Spotify App without a phone connected? I am surprised that lacks Album Art since it is built into iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Does Album Art appear if you use the Spotify App without a phone connected? I am surprised that lacks Album Art since it is built into iDrive.
I have album art when using Spotify in iDrive with no phone present in the car.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0