Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) vicfalc09 | BMW M Performance Carbon Fiber Mirror Cap Installation

06-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
vicfalc09
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

vicfalc09 | BMW M Performance Carbon Fiber Mirror Cap Installation

I installed the M Performance Carbon Fiber Mirrors today for my G20 M340i. This installation is not as straight forward as previous models as you will see below. There would be further mirror disassembly required if I did not break the clips. See below:

Step 1 - Pop the mirror off by tilting it all the way up from the electronic controls and use a plastic trim tool to pry off.

Step 2 - Locate the 4 screws shown here to remove black gloss shroud from mirror.

Step 3 - Remove an additional two screw that attach mirror cover to lighting strip.

Step 4 - Pull mirror cover away from vehicle the only tabs still holding it on are the 3 at the bottom of the mirror cover that I broke when pulling off.

Step 5 - Attach lighting strip to new Carbon Fiber mirror cover with screws. Re attach mirror cover to mirror assembly ensuring all clips engage. Re attach mirror connections and electronics.

BMW M PERFORMANCE CARBON FIBER MIRROR CAP

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/sfimage...mage242006.jpg
Appreciate 6
      06-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
senderhomes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicfalc09 View Post
I installed the M Performance Carbon Fiber Mirrors today for my G20 M340i. This installation is not as straight forward as previous models as you will see below. There would be further mirror disassembly required if I did not break the clips. See below:

Step 1 - Pop the mirror off by tilting it all the way up from the electronic controls and use a plastic trim tool to pry off.

Step 2 - Locate the 4 screws shown here to remove black gloss shroud from mirror.

Step 3 - Remove an additional two screw that attach mirror cover to lighting strip.

Step 4 - Pull mirror cover away from vehicle the only tabs still holding it on are the 3 at the bottom of the mirror cover that I broke when pulling off.

Step 5 - Attach lighting strip to new Carbon Fiber mirror cover with screws. Re attach mirror cover to mirror assembly ensuring all clips engage. Re attach mirror connections and electronics.

Looks good. Thanks for the detailed instructions
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 540xi M-Performance

Love the detailed instructions on the installation. I really want to get the Shadow Line Gloss Black version of the mirror caps but I am on the fence about the Carbon Fiber look with my Dravit Grey Metallic finish. It seems you have the same color M340i, How do you like the contrast between the two finishes?
2009 BMW X6 50i Dinan (Sold) Alpine White
2003 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Laguna Seca Blue | 1995 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Santorini Blue II
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
vicfalc09
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssadri View Post
Love the detailed instructions on the installation. I really want to get the Shadow Line Gloss back version of the mirror caps but on the fence about the Carbon Fiber look with my Dravit Grey Metallic combo. It seems you have the same color M340i, How do you like the contrast between the two finishes?
My car is Mineral Grey Metallic. I am also doing the carbon fiber m performance rear spoiler and replacing the front bumper cerium grey trim with gloss black. I think the carbon is a nice touch on any grey color car.

My goal was to get rid of all the cerium grey as I don't like it at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car is Mineral Grey Metallic. I am also doing the carbon fiber m performance rear spoiler and replacing the front bumper cerium grey trim with gloss black. I think the carbon is a nice touch on any grey color car.

Exactly how I feel about the Cerium Grey. It is ugly and already has water stains on it and I only had the car less than a week now.
Have your already ordered the front grill replacement? If so, what part number and where did you order from?

I called my local dealership and they are clueless on how to order the correct parts for me.
2003 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Laguna Seca Blue | 1995 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Santorini Blue II
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
vicfalc09
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly how I feel about the Cerium Grey. It is ugly and already has water stains on it and I only had the car less than a week now.
Have your already ordered the front grill replacement? If so, what part number and where did you order from?

I called my local dealership and they are clueless on how to order the correct parts for me.
Front grille or the lower front bumper air ducts? Both are cerium...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #7
miked1999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm in the same boat. My dealership is clueless on the part # for the Shadow line 340i grill as well!! Driving me crazy. If it's an option in Canada, it's got to be something we can receive in the states. ....Anybody have any leads or suggestions?

Also... who's replaced their cerium gray bumper trim? My body shop quoted a stupid price to remove/paint/replace the gray inserts. What do ya'll think... is this a simple plug & play or pro job?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:19 PM   #8
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by senderhomes View Post
Quote:

I will be taking no chances, I am having mine installed at port
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:23 PM   #9
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I've done this countless times on present and past BMWs but theG20 I would have struggled with if it wasn't for this DIY. Thanks for taking the time to document and share! I'll file this away for when the time comes
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 04:59 AM   #10
evo2335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G37 IPL (340i on the way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by senderhomes View Post
Quote:

I will be taking no chances, I am having mine installed at port
That's what I did. Seems harder than it should be
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      06-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #11
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The front grill I can't find. The front bumper trims I found:
Here is all I could discover so far but my local dealership said the part number of the grill is for what I already have on my car. I'm confused.

M Grille Front: 51138075665
Individual Option: Shadow-Line S7M9A=Yes
M Aerodynamic Package S715A=Yes

Exhaust End Pipe Trim, Left: 51128093303
Exhaust End Pipe Trim, Right: 51128093304
Individual Option High-Gloss Shadow-Line S7M9A=Yes

Trim on Grill, side, left: 51118093301
Trim on Grill, side, Right: 51118093302
Individual High-Gloss Shadow-Line S7M9A=Yes
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #12
vicfalc09
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The front grille I can't find. The front bumper trim I found:

With park assist: https://www.bmwpartspros.com/partloc...catalogid=8798

Without park assist: https://www.bmwpartspros.com/partloc...catalogid=8798
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #13
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I saw that one and it looks great, but I was hoping to find the particular staggered look style that is similar to the one I have in the shadow line gloss black finish like in the picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #14
vicfalc09
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I saw that one and it looks great, but I was hoping to find the particular staggered look style that is similar to the one I have in the shadow line gloss black finish like in the picture.
I have not seen that part released for ordering.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #15
senderhomes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

vicfalc09 | BMW M Performance Carbon Fiber Mirror Cap Installation

Quote:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #16
miked1999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

Outstanding instructions! I performed this mod on Sunday and I would never have attempted it without your guide! Thank you for blazing the trail. I was planning to have the dealership do the work... so your efforts saved me at least $100 or more. Thank you! Knowing what I know now, the only thing I would have done differently is wrap painters tape on the mirror edges after popping out the glass...Got a few small scratches to buff out from the rubbing of the mirror on the inner housing during reassembly. Otherwise, amazing outcome all around!!
Appreciate 1
vicfalc09211.00
      06-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #17
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just installed my Carbon Fiber mirror caps. I like this design with the extended wing!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #18
evo2335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G37 IPL (340i on the way)

Quote:
Just installed my Carbon Fiber mirror caps. I like this design with the extended wing!
Those are cool looking caps. Where are they from? Has a M-vibe to them
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #19
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo2335 View Post
Those are cool looking caps. Where are they from? Has a M-vibe to them
Thank you, I got them on Amazon. I do love the "M" vibe they got Looks very aggressive

https://www.amazon.com/Cuztom-Tuning...gateway&sr=8-2
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #20
th1rd3y3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive

Quote:

So given your experience and breaking those tabs, do you think it's possible to get the cerium covers off and keep them intact?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #21
vicfalc09
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by th1rd3y3 View Post
Quote:

So given your experience and breaking those tabs, do you think it's possible to get the cerium covers off and keep them intact?
Potentially with further disassembly of the mirror components.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:52 AM   #22
Glassy
E36, E46, E90, E92, F32
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Attached Images