Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Autocar: M3-engined Toyota Supra ‘possible but unlikely’ says M division boss

07-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #45
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The 1M's only flaw was the headlights (...which grew on me over time). It has a better looking rear end than the ///M2 and arguably a better front bumper. The ///M2 has better headlights and side profile. The M2C takes it a step further with the S55, better brakes, F8X seats, etc.
i didn't like the proportions of the 1m...i thought it looked too stubby. In my opinion the M2 fixed the stubby proportions of the 1m.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #46
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The 1M's only flaw was the headlights (...which grew on me over time). It has a better looking rear end than the ///M2 and arguably a better front bumper. The ///M2 has better headlights and side profile. The M2C takes it a step further with the S55, better brakes, F8X seats, etc.
I don't even notice the headlights as when I look at those cars I get fixated on the cow belly sag lending to the profile of a porky bulldog.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:00 AM   #47
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
A hotter version of the GR Supra is around the corner. Few more months and we will see it... First in Japan and then in Europe.

A hotter version of the Z4 Marketing40i won't arrive. BMW sees the Sdrive40i (the name it should have had) as the top model for the Z4, also because they made a contract with Toyota that they aren't allowed to make a Z4 M. Toyota asked for this and therefore the Supra is more aimed at sportiness and the Z4 more at Gran Touring. You feel that when you drive both.

The S58 as an engine has amazed me. I was in the passenger seat of the new X4 M running up the hill at Goodwood FoS and I was amazed about the top end power of the X4 M. A power delivery I have not easily felt before from a M car.

The sound track of the engine is of course non existent and horrible because of the OPFs. We have to wait and see how it sounds when tuners remove the OPFs and cats later this year when they receive the first X3M's and X4M's.

MR
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4004.00
Poochie9099.00
      07-16-2019, 03:03 AM   #48
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
A hotter version of the GR Supra is around the corner. Few more months and we will see it... First in Japan and then in Europe.

A hotter version of the Z4 Marketing40i won't arrive. BMW sees the Sdrive40i (the name it should have had) as the top model for the Z4, also because they made a contract with Toyota that they aren't allowed to make a Z4 M. Toyota asked for this and therefore the Supra is more aimed at sportiness and the Z4 more at Gran Touring. You feel that when you drive both.

The S58 as an engine has amazed me. I was in the passenger seat of the new X4 M running up the hill at Goodwood FoS and I was amazed about the top end power of the X4 M. A power delivery I have not easily felt before from a M car.

The sound track of the engine is of course non existent and horrible because of the OPFs. We have to wait and see how it sounds when tuners remove the OPFs and cats later this year when they receive the first X3M's and X4M's.

MR
Quote:

MR
We have to wait sure , i dont think this is happening this close . Maybe in 3-4 yrs
      07-16-2019, 06:43 AM   #49
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF87M2 View Post
We have to wait sure , i dont think this is happening this close . Maybe in 3-4 yrs
The thing we have to wait for a while is the new M2, which is based on the Z4 and Supra platform you are currently looking at.

The car will have the S58 engine, but first BMW wants you to buy the new M3 and M4 before they are going to push a lighter, more potent car into the market that will be more fun than the new M3/M4.

In the meantime, I am enjoying my car and wait what will arrive... I don't need a M2 CS, I built one myself. I will get myself a X3 M40i pre-opf as a daily and then maybe a new smaller toy.

MR
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4004.00
      07-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #50
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The thing we have to wait for a while is the new M2, which is based on the Z4 and Supra platform you are currently looking at.

The car will have the S58 engine, but first BMW wants you to buy the new M3 and M4 before they are going to push a lighter, more potent car into the market that will be more fun than the new M3/M4.

In the meantime, I am enjoying my car and wait what will arrive... I don't need a M2 CS, I built one myself. I will get myself a X3 M40i pre-opf as a daily and then maybe a new smaller toy.

MR
Quote:
Quote:

MR
Interesting , sure you dont need a M2CS since is the same thing as yours , and imo i even dont need an M2 CS , im happy with the f87 in general , and ofc they want to give people first the m3/4 which nowadays is their flagship . And then the more fun car M2 . By the way , maybe i didnt got you , will the G87 M2 be on the same platform as the Z4 or Supra ?
      07-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #51
RocketTR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
....Thats why the OG M2 is one of the last analoque and raw cars . M2C and CS etc of course is better but not that simple and raw . And not that analoque , i prefer for example the suspension not to be like the M2C or M3/4 . More raw , simple , as it used to be .
For me, the last truly analog and raw M-cars were the E9X cars. Naturally aspirated, no fake sounds inside, hydraulic power steering, etc...plus they sound better than any M-car in history. That's the one to hold on to if you're lucky enough to have one. Besides those cars, I'd have to say the E46 M3 is probably a close second place in terms of a raw, analog driving experience.

1M, M2, and the newer M3/4 are not cars that I would consider analog really in any sense other than the fact that you can still get them with manual transmissions.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      07-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #52
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTR View Post
Quote:
....Thats why the OG M2 is one of the last analoque and raw cars . M2C and CS etc of course is better but not that simple and raw . And not that analoque , i prefer for example the suspension not to be like the M2C or M3/4 . More raw , simple , as it used to be .
For me, the last truly analog and raw M-cars were the E9X cars. Naturally aspirated, no fake sounds inside, hydraulic power steering, etc...plus they sound better than any M-car in history. That's the one to hold on to if you're lucky enough to have one. Besides those cars, I'd have to say the E46 M3 is probably a close second place in terms of a raw, analog driving experience.

1M, M2, and the newer M3/4 are not cars that I would consider analog really in any sense other than the fact that you can still get them with manual transmissions.
Quote:
Quote:

You are telling this now , wait to see the full electric or hybrid M cars !!
      07-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #53
RocketTR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Well, yeah....compared to electric or hybrid M-cars in the future, I'd have to say that today's M2/M3/M4 are pretty analog. But if you think about that, as each generation passes, things tend to get less and less analog. Today, any car offered with a manual transmission will be more analog than a car that doesn't offer manual transmission. As far as transmissions go, nothing even comes close to manuals as far as being analog is concerned.

Consider a Tesla Model 3 Performance. That's pretty much the polar opposite of an analog driving experience. It's an electric car that's definitely quick, but it can basically drive itself and it doesn't make any good noises and it doesn't even have a transmission, manual or automatic. That's what I think we'll see eventually for ALL future performance cars. A truly digital driving experience. So hold on to your analog ICE cars as long as you can, even if they aren't considered truly analog by even today's standards because they'll definitely be more analog than these future cars that we're already starting to see today.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #54
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Well, yeah....compared to electric or hybrid M-cars in the future, I'd have to say that today's M2/M3/M4 are pretty analog. But if you think about that, as each generation passes, things tend to get less and less analog. Today, any car offered with a manual transmission will be more analog than a car that doesn't offer manual transmission. As far as transmissions go, nothing even comes close to manuals as far as being analog is concerned.

Consider a Tesla Model 3 Performance. That's pretty much the polar opposite of an analog driving experience. It's an electric car that's definitely quick, but it can basically drive itself and it doesn't make any good noises and it doesn't even have a transmission, manual or automatic. That's what I think we'll see eventually for ALL future performance cars. A truly digital driving experience. So hold on to your analog ICE cars as long as you can, even if they aren't considered truly analog by even today's standards because they'll definitely be more analog than these future cars that we're already starting to see today.
Quote:
Quote:

[QUOTE=RocketTR;25033151]
Quote:

Yeah but again , this is progression ... the e30 m3 was even more raw since no traction or any other electric system . Thats why i believe that M cars will be separeted in 3 categories . Petrol / Hybrid(after next 5 yrs before full electric) / Full electric (2030) ..
      07-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #55
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
So.. What does "ICE" stand for..?

In 10-30 years some people will say "the K2x M3/4 was the last true analog M-car because it wasn't wirelessly connected to your brain"

These kind of discussions will never end.. Just buy the car you feel is right in your heart. A newer, "better" car will always be just around the corner..
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4004.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
      07-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #56
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
So.. What does "ICE" stand for..?

In 10-30 years some people will say "the M2x M3/4 was the last true analog M-car because it was wirelessly connected to your brain"

These kind of discussions will never end.. Just buy the car you feel is right in your heart. A newer, "better" car will always be just around the corner..
ICE= Internal Combustion Engine
      07-16-2019, 11:29 PM   #57
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MR
Quote:
Quote:

MR
Interesting , sure you dont need a M2CS since is the same thing as yours , and imo i even dont need an M2 CS , im happy with the f87 in general , and ofc they want to give people first the m3/4 which nowadays is their flagship . And then the more fun car M2 . By the way , maybe i didnt got you , will the G87 M2 be on the same platform as the Z4 or Supra ?
My question is will they put the base model on the b58 instead of the s58? Saving the s58 for the cs and csl g series m2.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4004.00
      07-16-2019, 11:31 PM   #58
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MR
Quote:
Quote:

MR
My question is will they put the base model on the b58 instead of the s58? Saving the s58 for the call and csl g series m2.
I dont think will happen to the G87 as well .
      07-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #59
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
G87M2 will be on the same platform as the Z4 and Supra. Rear-wheel drive platform that will use the same architecture. That is what I hear gossiping around right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
My question is will they put the base model on the b58 instead of the s58? Saving the s58 for the cs and csl g series m2.
I think they will go full S58 on the whole range. I don't see them doing an engine split because of cost reductions. Also putting the B58 in it would be fail, but then again it all depends on how they position the new M3/M4.

MR
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      07-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #60
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Pretty sure it will be the S58...considering the Gxx M2/M2C will have more power than the current 410hp (metric) M2C

That will definitely be the car worth waiting for if a 6MT option is available
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      07-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #61
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:

MR
MR: Any news you can share about the M2 CS? Will it be a significant upgrade over M2 C and OG M2?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #62
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Pretty sure it will be the S58...considering the Gxx M2/M2C will have more power than the current 410hp (metric) M2C

That will definitely be the car worth waiting for if a 6MT option is available
It could be the one worth waiting for but 3 years is a long time to wait. You could wait 3 1/2 years and find out that there are some mandatory changes to the car that make it not as desirable as the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #63
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

S58 unit on Toyota Supra

Quote:
G87M2 will be on the same platform as the Z4 and Supra. Rear-wheel drive platform that will use the same architecture. That is what I hear gossiping around right now.
First time I've heard that. Idea isn't bad.

But the source of the info/gossip?
      07-17-2019, 11:55 PM   #64
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
It could be the one worth waiting for but 3 years is a long time to wait. You could wait 3 1/2 years and find out that there are some mandatory changes to the car that make it not as desirable as the M2C.
Of course...that's why I am driving the M2C right now
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #65
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:

MR
i doubt it...the current supra has a signifcantly shorter wheel base compared to the current m2. Most manufacturers do not shrink cars with the newer models..its usually the opposite. They usually get larger by a .5-3inch.

it would make more sense just to keep the current M2 platform and just extend the wheel base by .5inch, maybe add some more high tensile steel to reduce weight and increase ragidity. The B58 already fits in the current platform..i'm sure it wouldnt take much to fit a s58 into it if they wanted too.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #66
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
MR: Any news you can share about the M2 CS? Will it be a significant upgrade over M2 C and OG M2?
M2cs will be stock what you can get with dinan stg 4 package with OG right now
Appreciate 0