Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Stage 2 tune and mid throttle issue

12-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
Lonmon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i x

Stage 2 tune and mid throttle issue

I have a local tuner that unlocked my DME and provided me with a stage 2 tune for BMS intake, E30, and catless AA dp. The car gets great mileage when cruising back and forth to work (at or close to 30mpg!), great normal stocklike drivability when off boost, very strong acceleration when flat out (put a couple cars on a buddies 1LE Camaro with FBO and cam 60-130) but at mid throttle there is what feels like a torque limiter or something that will hold me back until I push down on the pedal enough for it to drop a gear. Basically if I am headed up the onramp to the highway and picking up speed not trying to floor it but need to get up to speed the car starts to make boost as I'm lightly on the gas and then hits almost like a dead spot where it will not accerlerate any more unless I keep pressing down. Then it drops a gear and wants to take off like a monster. I can easily drive around the issue by playing with the throttle but it is not a smooth transition of spool and power. It almost feels like the boost blows off or a torque limiter that wont let me accelerate anymore until I give it a fair amount more pedal (enough to downshift) when the gear it is in would be fine if it would just allow the spool of the turbo to continue. Its hard to explain to the tuner and recreate without a lengthy test drive. I don't think it is the intake because I put that on a few days before the tune and never noticed it before the tune. Just curious if any other tuned guys have noticed any strange quirks like this with your tune. I have talked with the tuner about it and he even made some revisions the last time I was there after the catless dp. The throttle is very sensitive which I like and it is still very drivable and fast. No check engine lights or any other issues. If I am driving like a baby or very aggressive you would not notice. Its just in between that there is this strange power wall at mid throttle that I either have to back off and try again or push through/past.
H&R Springs
MHD Stage 2 E40
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I have not experienced anything like that with my Stage 2 Mission Performance flash. That said, if you haven't done it already (sorry if I missed it) I would run some logs for your tuner (or with your tuner)...

I'm sure based on that information they will be able to identify the problem and remedy the situation for you. If they can't...you are already unlocked so you can likely return to stock and flash with (MP, BM3, MHD etc...)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
H433x0n
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Sounds like a DME torque modeling issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

It’s a torque limit issue really hard to get around with these advanced ecus
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
Lonmon
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the responses! I would love to get some logs, I am used to having that capability from my past experience with SCT flash tools on my Mustangs. Unfortunately this is a local tuner (don't know of any others around) that simply pulls my ecu out of the car, makes tune adjustments and sends me on my way. I am talking to him about buying a Powergate flash tool which I believe may give me more options for logging and having multiple tunes to choose from. That way I don't have to keep driving back and forth to his shop every time I want to change something. I agree with everyone saying a torque limit issue as this is what it feels like to me. I am experienced with 25+ years of working on tuned cars, this is just my first Euro. Especially this modern and advanced with electronic nannys. I am also seriously considering starting all over with Mission now that the DME is unlocked. It seems they have this figured out better then anyone. I really would like to have my remote start back even if it means leaving the key card in the tray. My tuner is also having trouble getting the performance gauges to match. My torque gauge maxes at 560 but the horsepower is still at 400. I know that has zero to do with performance and its just a stupid toy but it still bothers me that they don't match. He has tried to fix it twice without success. Don't get me wrong, the car starts and runs great and is very fast. I still think the $700 price for unlock and tune was worth it but I do want it to drive perfect in all respects, my remote start to work, and my gauges to scale correctly. It looks like to recreate what I have with Mission will cost close to $1200.
H&R Springs
MHD Stage 2 E40
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

Bootmod3 is an option. No more trips to your local tuner, just do it on your drive via your phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Lonmon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonmon View Post
It looks like to recreate what I have with Mission will cost close to $1200.
Great detailed feedback. Just an FYI because I was discussing this with a friend yesterday evening....as of yesterday Mission Performance was on sale at Stage 1 $639.20 or Stage 2 $739.20. And it is free to retain your remote start.

Not sure if that is a holiday sale price or if Alex dropped his prices permanently...either way hope it helps

With your DME now unlocked you can do the flash with a PC at home with any of the majors.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
Lonmon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Lonmon

Great detailed feedback. Just an FYI because I was discussing this with a friend yesterday evening....as of yesterday Mission Performance was on sale at Stage 1 $639.20 or Stage 2 $739.20. And it is free to retain your remote start.

Not sure if that is a holiday sale price or if Alex dropped his prices permanently...either way hope it helps

With your DME now unlocked you can do the flash with a PC at home with any of the majors.
Thanks for the info Chenry, it is on sale however once you add in memory backup, and extra for an ethanol mix you are up to $1100. I am hoping to resolve things through my local guy because he is a reputable place doing big things with BMW's at his shop and feel like he will get me sorted. I already have about $800 invested with him that I don't want to throw away just yet. It is nice knowing that at least I'm unlocked so any other tuner is possible pretty easily. Its just spending another 1k right now is tough. The car is 100% drivable so I can have some patience. I will most likely go the MP route if Kassel doesn't get me sorted by spring.
H&R Springs
MHD Stage 2 E40
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 11:41 AM   #9
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lonmon

Thanks for the info Chenry, it is on sale however once you add in memory backup, and extra for an ethanol mix you are up to $1100. I am hoping to resolve things through my local guy because he is a reputable place doing big things with BMW's at his shop and feel like he will get me sorted. I already have about $800 invested with him that I don't want to throw away just yet. It is nice knowing that at least I'm unlocked so any other tuner is possible pretty easily. Its just spending another 1k right now is tough. The car is 100% drivable so I can have some patience. I will most likely go the MP route if Kassel doesn't get me sorted by spring.
Makes 100% sense - based on your post this is not your first rodeo - and I'm sure your local tuner will be able to sort things out for you (anxious to hear about things when the dust settles.

I wasn't aware of the sale price until yesterday...so figured I'd drop you an FYI post...

Happy New Year (almost)

ps- jealous of your xdrive - really wanted one and was going to order but when COVID hit that option disappeared so had to grab something off the lot and not surprisingly not too many xdrive m340's on the lot in SoCal
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 11:47 AM   #10
Lonmon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Makes 100% sense - based on your post this is not your first rodeo - and I'm sure your local tuner will be able to sort things out for you (anxious to hear about things when the dust settles.

I wasn't aware of the sale price until yesterday...so figured I'd drop you an FYI post...

Happy New Year (almost)

ps- jealous of your xdrive - really wanted one and was going to order but when COVID hit that option disappeared so had to grab something off the lot and not surprisingly not too many xdrive m340's on the lot in SoCal
Nope, not my first rodeo! I had a couple GSX Eclipses with DSM link that I did tuning on, and a few Mustangs with SCT flash software that I worked with Lund tuning on. Also my last vehicle Q50 with JB4, plenty of logging and tweeking. Thanks for your involvement on the forum as I have read many helpful things from you! I love the xdrive and very happy to have it between the launch traction and the fact I live in a state that sees snow. I am jealous of your location, specifically how close you are to MP! Lol
H&R Springs
MHD Stage 2 E40
Appreciate 1
chenry2346.00
      12-31-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lonmon

Happy New Year (almost)

Did they unlock the ECU for 2021 models? I assume not since they haven't posted anything about it yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 02:06 PM   #12
john!smith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i XDrive

that issue is 100% comming from the torque limiters. had same issues
with my mhd stage 2 tune. bmw and zf locked dme's very hard.

check out mg flasher. they have a great solution. i have no longer that issue.
car is running great... map is not final yet but my m340i does 510-530hp at the crank and 730nm torque. mg flasher fixed that with a special custom code.
so you can adjust the limiter on your own. i put the limiter in at 750nm.
you can rise it up to 1000nm
Appreciate 1
Lonmon60.00
      12-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #13
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Lonmon

Word of caution on the unlocked DME. The last OTA software update relocked my DME. Thankfully I'd removed the decat and ref lashes back to standard before the update - would hate to think what would've happened if they had locked the DME whilst I was stage 2
Appreciate 1
Lonmon60.00