Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

03-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #155
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
That's what they said with respect to the iX.

The i4 seems to have a "traditional" off-center ACC sensor hidden away by cheap plastic just like the G22. And it has the exact same grille as the 4er coupe/convertible and the upcoming gran coupe.

And why not? It's just the BEV-version of the G26 4er Gran Coupe (the i4's internal chassis code is literally G26) just like the iX3 is the BEV-version of the X3 (well the Chinese long-chassis version of it, but still, the front is identical). It's a bit baffling that people think BMW owes them another pair of kidney grilles for the i4 compared to the rest of the 4 series.

Whether or not the 4 series grille was a great move by the BMW designers is a different discussion, but that ship has sailed a while ago.
All true, but from what I remember, the initial excuse for the large grill during even the i4 concept was to house electronics. This was all before the G2x was released. The truth came out later, which was Dukec was just trying to upend all BMW design traditions because he thought they were garbage.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:26 PM   #156
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Has anybody photoshopped other colours for the i4?

Grill is probably decent with dark colours. It is quite sad that you need to choose a colour so it hides the ugliness of the car (front), but at the sametime Model 3 is so ugly all around taht there is no colour to mask it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 03:23 AM   #157
InsideDK
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuni View Post
Has anybody photoshopped other colours for the i4?
A user over at ****** have made som great visuals.

Appreciate 1
soheil64.50
      03-21-2021, 05:09 AM   #158
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #159
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

I worry about the front grill and snow as well as durability.
The grill gets pretty gummed up with debris in the winter and I would think render them useless for a while. Granted anywhere on the car can be obstructed by snow and ice. This area however is more susceptible.
As far as durability, I'm referring to those who may be treated to a bump from a driver who uses your car as the warning that they have backed up enough 🙄. I'd worry about insurance rates. Then again maybe BMW thought of all this. 🤷🏼*♂️.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #160
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Imagine the repair cost for even an minor frontal impact w/ all the electronics in the snout
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #161
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Imagine the repair cost for even an minor frontal impact w/ all the electronics in the snout
Correct, and as others have pointed out, a lot of other issues with debris, salt, snow, etc. The biggest issue is the U.S. front license plate. It is going to cover a decent portion of that make believe grill. Maybe that's a good thing aesthetically but as many other designers have pointed out, a huge oversight on BMW's part.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #162
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
The biggest issue is the U.S. front license plate. It is going to cover a decent portion of that make believe grill. Maybe that's a good thing aesthetically but as many other designers have pointed out, a huge oversight on BMW's part.
Just had a similar chat on another forum. This will vary by state. As long as the fascias don't arrive with holes for brackets, some states, like ours, do not require the front plate to be mounted if not originally manufactured to display the plate. But, once the holes are there, from the plant or a drill-happy dealer, the exemption is gone. Check your state regulations carefully!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 02:00 PM   #163
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Just had a similar chat on another forum. This will vary by state. As long as the fascias don't arrive with holes for brackets, some states, like ours, do not require the front plate to be mounted if not originally manufactured to display the plate. But, once the holes are there, from the plant or a drill-happy dealer, the exemption is gone. Check your state regulations carefully!
States like Illinois required. Cities like Chicago will literally ticket you on a daily basis if they catch you without one.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #164
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
States like Illinois required. .
I've tried to order real pizza in Chicago. There are no other states like Illinois!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
soheil64.50
      03-21-2021, 02:51 PM   #165
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I've tried to order real pizza in Chicago. There are no other states like Illinois!
Being a former Illinois resident (Chicago/Springfield), I can attest I am happy to view that state in my rearview.

On to the Pizza discussion. I have always been a "thin-crust" guy, bu I will admit, a deep dish Chicago style is pretty tasty also. I lived in Chicago when the "deep dish" was hitting its stride, with places like Uno's, Gino's, Gulliver's, Lou Malnatis and others were gaining popularity. At first, I was not a fan, but after acclimation, It is actually very palatable. Like a Lasagna on a crust.

If anyone has the chance, try an Aurelio's pizza. it was by far my favorite.

Growing up in a Italian neighborhood and frequenting many of the Italian ethnic neighborhood "feasts", I became quite fond of the Sicilian style pizzas. Thick and bready with few toppings. So the Chicago deep dish is a marrying of the two types.

I suppose I would say while there may be varying opinions of what type of pizza is yours (or my) favorite, I can say without equivocation that there is not a pizza made that I didn't like.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4605.50
      03-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #166
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Correct, and as others have pointed out, a lot of other issues with debris, salt, snow, etc. The biggest issue is the U.S. front license plate. It is going to cover a decent portion of that make believe grill. Maybe that's a good thing aesthetically but as many other designers have pointed out, a huge oversight on BMW's part.
Are not the "Euro" plates much larger than the US equivalent?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 03:40 PM   #167
Sjokosaus
Private
Rep
Drives: Just a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
You're missing the bigger point. The two products display their company's direction in bringing their most-cutting-edge technology to market. One manufacturer is releasing a pedestrian product with questionable styling; the other is releasing a sexy product people will lust for.
You mean the e-tron GT showcases Porsche's most cutting edge tech? One is obtainable for a decent amount of people, the other one is unobtanium for many. Wait for the new i7 if you want a flagship EV from BMW that isn't a SUV (iX is currently BMWs flagship) even then the i7 aims for a completely different market than the e-tron GT.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2021, 09:42 PM   #168
tshort
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Plug location

Awful location for the plug! It should be on the driver's side, preferably near the driver door (as on the BMW 330e and Chevy Volt).

I do not want to have to walk around the car to plug it in.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 12:59 AM   #169
seemebreakthis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideDK View Post
A user over at ****** have made som great visuals.
Honestly I don't think the grill is much of a problem with the license plate on. Especially in this part of the world where I can pretty much specify the size of the plate.

No problem at all owning one of these. Just waiting to see how the i4 M50 differs from the basic spec and design (beefed-up bumpers fenders and all that)... hopefully even better.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 02:49 AM   #170
soheil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 REX

Quote:
Correct, and as others have pointed out, a lot of other issues with debris, salt, snow, etc.
Only time will tell if the design has these problems or not, but I would imagine BMW tests these cars thoroughly in all types of harsh conditions for thousands of miles/kilometers! After all this is BMW, not TSLA! It's not their first rodeo!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #171
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Unless all the manufacturers agree to a common standard, there is no perfect plug location. I'm also a bit disappointed we will need to go to the M50 to get AWD.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:35 AM   #172
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshort View Post
Awful location for the plug! It should be on the driver's side, preferably near the driver door (as on the BMW 330e and Chevy Volt).

I do not want to have to walk around the car to plug it in.
That's where the fuel door is in all of my BMW's and where the charging plug is for my i3. Walking a few feet isn't a big deal.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:14 AM   #173
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero7000 View Post
Tesla has no grill at all, as it has no functionality in EV.
But BMW need giant nostrils for what? To cool groceries in that front trunk?
Dysfunctional nonsense
So BMW should abandon what's arguably one of the most recognizable graphics in automotive history, the kidney?

It's what makes a BMW recognizable from generation to generation. The piece that connects each and every car. They've come in a million shapes and sizes throughout the year. They've stood apart, mashed together, stretched vertically, elongated horizontally, smushed etc etc. The kidney's worth BILLIONS to them.

They are not going to abandon them during the EV era. As the kidney's start to transform away from a functional cooling element and towards being one of purely design - it's probably going to get even more in your face.

Luckily there are a ton of other models from other brands to choose from.
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2021, 04:58 PM   #174
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

"Luckily there are a ton of other models from other brands to choose from."

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:30 AM   #175
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep

It is M-sport.

This links shows (same) pictures with captions of it being M-sport. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...l-services-for

Crazy that full release is till 1,5 month away.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:56 AM   #176
MPSdriver
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideDK View Post
Where did you find this date?
As per Chrisss_GER's post in the thread on the i4 interior.

Appreciate 0