Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions For those that own a G20 330i, would you recommend it to others?

08-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #1
Paga
Rep
Drives: bmw g20 3 series 330i

For those that own a G20 330i, would you recommend it to others?

Hi all,

Just wanted to hear the thoughts from those who have had the g20 330i for awhile now and would you recommend purchasing one.

Has it been reliable, issues and are you happy with your purchase or do you have regrets.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
TristarL10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW  [8.75]
I've had mine for 3 mo, and I absolutely love mine. I ordered it with all the options, and after this becoming my 8th BMW, (4 3 series and 4 5 series) I'm not disappointed so far with the G 20![IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

08-02-2020, 03:24 AM   #3
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paga View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to hear the thoughts from those who have had the g20 330i for awhile now and would you recommend purchasing one.

Has it been reliable, issues and are you happy with your purchase or do you have regrets.

Thanks
Had mine for 10 months. It is my 3rd BMW and is the pick of the bunch so far. No real issues apart from early software problems with ‘drive recorder’ which was resolved with an update.

I did get all options apart from the ‘laser lights’ and I love the car... probably the best car I’ve driven

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:26 AM   #4
Paga
Rep

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated. I have ordered and mine is due to arrive late September mid October.

I ordered it the sapphire black so I hope that was a good choice
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:40 AM   #5
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i-X

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback much appreciated. I have ordered and mine is due to arrive late September mid October.

I ordered it the sapphire black so I hope that was a good choice
love my sapphire black!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-02-2020, 04:49 AM   #6
Paga
Rep

Punkwrock

Does look good in black, looks mean!

I wanted white but wife preferred black considering she may end up with the car I gave in. Portimao Blue also looked good
Appreciate 1
Punkwrock118.50
      08-02-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

I have been waiting for this G20 generation since 2016 and bought it last year in 2019 without driving it as there were none on the lot and instead test drove several F30 models M-Sport and Non M-Sport models for comparison.

So far reliable, only time can tell as the B48 4-cylinder engine has only been around for a few years from the F30 generation and is is carry over to the G20 with higher boost Torque and HP.

Minor stuff like the center speaker rattle and minor recalls were addressed by the dealership.

Since our packages and options vary for each country, here in Canada, the only thing I wish I included a la carte was the LSD. Other than that, the BMW Excellence package is complete with the laser lights and signature Daytime Running Lights.

Great overall driving dynamics and comfort for daily driver in my opinion. Steering improved from previous generation as well.

One thing also to consider and be aware of are the different tire options packages as I heard many on this forum thought they had go-Flat summer performance Michelin Pilot 4S tires, but actually had all season Run-flats, or vice versa.

Last edited by WXdrivefun; 09-04-2020 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
Beembar51
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1

G20 330Xi

I’ve had my 330xi for about 15 months and 21k miles. I have enjoyed the car immensely. The car is fully loaded (M Sport, executive pkg, HK system, Driving assistant professional, etc.) with the exception of adaptive suspension. I wish I had ticked that box. The other regret I have is ordering the spare tire. It eats into trunk space dramatically.
The car is comfortable, reasonably economical and fun to drive. I have seen mpg as high as 39 on a steady 75 mph cruise. And normal mpg is in the high 20’s. Aside from a cracked windshield I have had no problems with the car. There have been a couple of phantom electrical issues. The OBC stopped displaying info once and HUD display went away once. But restarts solved both issues. It’s proved to be one of my favorite cars in over 50 years of driving.
Appreciate 1
Bmwphile148.00
      08-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #9
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

I've had my 330xi for a year and a half and I would definitely recommend as a daily driver. It's reliable, sporty, comfortable, and filled with tech. If I were to buy my car again, however, I'd spring for at least the M340i. The 4cyl has decent performance but it has me missing the inline 6. I'm looking into the new M3 once my lease is up.
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #10
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i 2008

Its been a month for my 330xi M sport Edition and I must say that I was hesitant towards going with the newer BMWs since it had started to lose the old flame. Now the only regret I have is not getting it fully optioned as the car is AMAZING!! Don't hesitate to get one!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 07:58 PM   #11
Paga
Rep

Thanks to everyone for your feedback it puts me at ease and now I'm even more excited waiting for my delivery. Being as patient as I am I have already started ordering some mods.

Thanks again
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2020, 08:33 PM   #12
SapphireG20
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330i xDrive

I have the Black Sapphire metallic also and love it. It's a bit of a chore to keep it clean but it is a very rewarding drive with excellent fuel efficiency. Great choice for a daily driver.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-02-2020, 09:16 PM   #13
Paga
Rep

SapphireG20 looks awesome thank you for your feedback.
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2020, 06:40 AM   #14
BigWagonFan
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 330i xDrive

My family was driving Audis since ever. 80, 100, A6, Q5, Q7.

Last year my choice was Audi A4, BMW 3 and MB C-Class. I didn't decide to get Audi because of poor Quattro Ultra opinions and touch-only display (no joystick). C-Class has too little trunk.

I'm very happy with 330i xDrive, Driving Assistant Professional is my favourite feature, the only thing I miss is Android Auto (not much longer though). I was considering M340 but it was big tax difference (3,1% vs. 18,6%).
Appreciate 1
Paga11.50
      08-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #15
loonysup
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwrock View Post
love my sapphire black!
Did you black out the 330i badge or remove it? It bothers me that it's the only chrome on the car (I have the blacked out grill and trim) and I've been debating what to do about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #16
BigWagonFan
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWagonFan View Post
I was considering M340 but it was big tax difference (3,1% vs. 18,6%).
Also: I find 330i enough for highways 90% of time. I'm not sure if I could argument M340i choice for that big price difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:37 AM   #17
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks
The only word I have for this car is "EXQUISITE!!!!!"

1. Drive is exquisite
2. Luxury is exquisite
3. Performance is exquisite
4. Experience is exquisite

Have driven 2400kms in 2 months and have loved every kilometre

No issues at all rock solid,.

I can assure you, you will have no regrets , you absolutely made the right choice.

It's the best luxury performance car on the market , but then again I am biased !!

My only regrets would be

1. Not optioning the M seat belts
2. Acoustic glass makes the sound , sound better, better isolation
3. Tire pressure monitoring

All just nice to have , and very minor , but I optioned all the rest , except the M-differential which still on the fence about that, but it may be good for safety

Some tips

1. Ceramic coating is a must , no need to polish so less swirl marks
2. Install a dashcam - makes you feel safer if you hook it up to a hotspot you can get an alert on your phone if you car is parked and an impact is detected
3. Make sure if you tint your car , there are no glaring reflections in your rear window, I experienced this and got the rear tint removed
4. Be careful of scratching the shift knob with your wedding ring, the plastic scratches pretty easily
5. Adaptive mode is best well for me for daily driving , hardly use sport in suburbs only found this mode existed after a month
6. Buy rubber mats and put them over your M Matts , if you just put them on top of the carpet you will get the grid pattern imprinted on your carpet
The BMW ones are expensive but worth it I think, get the boot one as well.
7. I posted a 200 item excel spreadsheet under Local Forums-Australia - Any way to track your build for australia , have a look
It's a great pre-delivery checklist
8, Order the M-Sport Alcantara key protector case,so your key does not get scratched

I waited 4 and a half months for my car and it was worth it !!!

Loving the drive every day, puts a big smile on my face every time I drive /see it

Here's a pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #18
Paga
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
The only word I have for this car is "EXQUISITE!!!!!"

1. Drive is exquisite
2. Luxury is exquisite
3. Performance is exquisite
4. Experience is exquisite

Have driven 2400kms in 2 months and have loved every kilometre

No issues at all rock solid,.

I can assure you, you will have no regrets , you absolutely made the right choice.

It's the best luxury performance car on the market , but then again I am biased !!

My only regrets would be

1. Not optioning the M seat belts
2. Acoustic glass makes the sound , sound better, better isolation
3. Tire pressure monitoring

All just nice to have , and very minor , but I optioned all the rest , except the M-differential which still on the fence about that, but it may be good for safety

Some tips

1. Ceramic coating is a must , no need to polish so less swirl marks
2. Install a dashcam - makes you feel safer if you hook it up to a hotspot you can get an alert on your phone if you car is parked and an impact is detected
3. Make sure if you tint your car , there are no glaring reflections in your rear window, I experienced this and got the rear tint removed
4. Be careful of scratching the shift knob with your wedding ring, the plastic scratches pretty easily
5. Adaptive mode is best well for me for daily driving , hardly use sport in suburbs only found this mode existed after a month
6. Buy rubber mats and put them over your M Matts , if you just put them on top of the carpet you will get the grid pattern imprinted on your carpet
The BMW ones are expensive but worth it I think, get the boot one as well.
7. I posted a 200 item excel spreadsheet under Local Forums-Australia - Any way to track your build for australia , have a look
It's a great pre-delivery checklist
8, Order the M-Sport Alcantara key protector case,so your key does not get scratched

I waited 4 and a half months for my car and it was worth it !!!

Loving the drive every day, puts a big smile on my face every time I drive /see it

Here's a pic
Thank you for the feedback and looking at those pics makes me think I should of gone with the blue, looks amazing
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #19
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Great car. No regrets. 1st BMW.
Appreciate 1
Paga11.50
      08-13-2020, 10:55 PM   #20
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

"If you own a G20 330i, would you recommend it to others?"

Hmm.. Tough question, the 3 series is still IMO the best of the bunch so yes I would recommend against other manufacturers cars of course. Within its own ranks however probably no, yes and maybe.

Recently picked mine up as a company car lease and my official verdict? Depends what you're used to. It's a step up from the F30 330i but leagues apart from an F30 340i with aftermarket suspension or an M340i.

Some idolise tech but I'm not one of them, my now departed (soon to be replaced) F30 340i had carplay, nav, rear camera, parking sensors, blue tooth audio, digital dash, HK stereo and a bunch of other stuff. Whilst in its early stages I could potentially agree the F30 ICE was lacking in areas, towards later IDrive versions / specification iterations it became apparent only so much is useful.

Where the 330i excels is comfort and refinement, I opted to avoid runflats and M-sport suspension as it suffered the same issues as the last generation. Meaning squirrely over surfaces at low speeds and crashy over pot holes, we don't have the best roads here so YMMV.

The Jag XE 250 engine and drive train never felt urgent or intelligent whereas the 330i is progressively quick and competent but far from powerful or exciting. Both the M340i / F30 340i moves with a blazing sense of fury when prodded with applicable momentum, something the 330i lacks.

As an aid to soothing mundane tasks such as highway road munching, shopping duties or long trips the 330i makes short work without being utterly dreary. Whilst not the most exciting car it's practical, economical, relatively cheap, decent to drive and easy to live with. The 320d, staple of the euro motorway is now more expensive..

Now, add prices into the mix and the 330i becomes seriously tempting. You can pick up a 2019 plate G20 330i for around the same price as the ever warranty fading, last generation, expensive to run 2018 F30 340i and the price tag between that and an M340i is huge. Also to mention the B58 in any guise is hardly able to flex on the road making it a somewhat frustrating proposition.

Again compared to other manufacturers I'd prefer a 330i over any offered unless we start getting into Porsche or Maserati money. At that point one would probably consider an M340i anyway..

Last edited by Firaxis; 08-13-2020 at 11:01 PM..
Appreciate 4
Paga11.50
Montaver2164.00
Tallest1304.00
Ikester192124.00
      08-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #21
docjack12
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i ED

foam leather cleaner on sensatec seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireG20 View Post
I have the Black Sapphire metallic also and love it. It's a bit of a chore to keep it clean but it is a very rewarding drive with excellent fuel efficiency. Great choice for a daily driver.
hi i just bought the black sapphire one and car is absolutely great. I got the cleaning pack from BMW Mauritius and wanted to know if the foam leather cleaner could be applied to the Sensatec seats?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 01:43 PM   #22
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristarL10 View Post
I've had mine for 3 mo, and I absolutely love mine. I ordered it with all the options, and after this becoming my 8th BMW, (4 3 series and 4 5 series) I'm not disappointed so far with the G 20![IMG][/IMG]
haha, nothing like a fisheye lens photo to convey the way the car looks.