Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G80 M3 / G82 M4 Forum (2019+) BMW M CEO Confirms G80 M3 Manual Will Be RWD Only

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #89
PackPride85
Major
United_States
743
Rep
1,190
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
The previous generation of the M5 and M6 were available with a 423kw/575ps and 680nm/502lbft.

We know the top engine spec at launch will be 375kw/510ps and 600nm/442lbft.

There is no mechanical limitations with that 6MT BMW already has
Then it's purely for saving $$$
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #90
LSM
Captain
LSM's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
934
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

It's disappointing the wait time. Both AMG and Audi Sport have slimmed their timelines to six months or less for performance variants. Two model years in before getting M3/M4 too long.

I like the AWD/RWD proposition. As far as weight, I can't imagine an AWD M3 will be more than 3600lbs-3700lbs. There will be weight savings everywhere.

I would have liked a 48V mild hybrid system which they will no doubt bring out after they gouge early adopters
Appreciate 1
OF Hero416.00

      11-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #91
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
10473
Rep
16,463
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
My M5 Competition fully loaded, with sunroof, is 4188 lbs. put the carbon roof instead and there you go a bit above 4,000 lbs
Car and Driver weighed their test M5C with CF roof and CCB at 4262lb

https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/fi...1556214153.pdf
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 3
solstice1428.00
CSBM51248.00
SYT_Shadow3777.50

      11-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #92
solstice
Brigadier General
1428
Rep
4,481
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
It's disappointing the wait time. Both AMG and Audi Sport have slimmed their timelines to six months or less for performance variants. Two model years in before getting M3/M4 too long.

I like the AWD/RWD proposition. As far as weight, I can't imagine an AWD M3 will be more than 3600lbs-3700lbs. There will be weight savings everywhere.

I would have liked a 48V mild hybrid system which they will no doubt bring out after they gauge all early adopters .
It is odd for the M3 since it’s life cycle is probably the shortest of any BMW and it is off the market more than half the time it is on the market.

As I recall BMW also stated that they would significantly shorten the time to market for the Ms as the discussion raged of moving from bespoke engines and production lines for the M cars.

In the end BMW does what BMW does whether it’s controversial grille designs or odd timelines for launches. We just adapt as usual, some leave some come back and life goes on. Don’t waste your energy being upset for long, it won’t help
Appreciate 3
CSBM51248.00
LSM76.50

      11-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #93
RedGT3RS
Private
44
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: BMW, Porsche
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Everywhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Car and Driver weighed their test M5C with CF roof and CCB at 4262lb

https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/fi...1556214153.pdf
That’s more accurate

No way an M5 with CF roof weighs “a little” over 4000 pounds
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #94
solstice
Brigadier General
1428
Rep
4,481
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGT3RS View Post
That’s more accurate

No way an M5 with CF roof weighs “a little” over 4000 pounds
Yeah unless that statement was for dry weight I doubt there are 4000 lbs + “a little” stock M5s rolling around, except E60s and prior generations
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #95
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
946
Rep
2,183
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago Illinois USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsd View Post
Don't forget the F90 gained AWD and lost weight from the previous generation. So getting AWD doesn't mean it'll weigh more (although it likely will).

Either way, I seriously doubt the G80 xdrive weighs 4000 pounds.
I agree - a well-equipped F80 with Competition Pack's 20" wheels and DCT tranny weighs 3630lbs. The S58 engine should not weigh much more (if any) than the S55 - and the ZF8 should not weigh much more than the DCT. No way M X-drive will add over 300 lbs of weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #96
solstice
Brigadier General
1428
Rep
4,481
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
I agree - a well-equipped F80 with Competition Pack's 20" wheels and DCT tranny weighs 3630lbs. The S58 engine should not weigh much more (if any) than the S55 - and the ZF8 should not weigh much more than the DCT. No way M X-drive will add over 300 lbs of weight.
150 lbs X-drive + 150 lbs grilles

Honestly the way the G80 mule dances around the ring it doesn’t look like a tyre and brake torturing 4000 lbs car but who knows. A GTR is close to 4000 lbs and also look athletic. My guess is closer to 4000 than 3500 for a well equipped AWD version.

Last edited by solstice; 11-24-2019 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
CSBM51248.00
JTO242318.00

      11-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #97
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
946
Rep
2,183
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago Illinois USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
150 lbs X-drive + 150 lbs grilles

Honestly the way the G80 mule dances around the ring it doesn’t look like a tyre and brake torturing 4000 lbs car but who knows. A GTR is close to 4000 lbs and also look athletic. My guess is closer to 4000 than 3500 for a well equipped AWD version.
My guess is that a well-equipped G80 with ZF8 and AWD will weigh about 3800 lbs (have to hope they do some weight saving measures on the G80 to not make it much more than 3800 lbs).

The F90 at 4,300 lbs already gets laptimes roughly equal to the F80 M3 CS/M4 CS which weigh just under 3,600 lbs. If the F90 can get those kind of times, then imagine a G80 that weighs about 500 lbs less than the F90...

I'm hoping the G80/G82 don't look ugly with the big grille - if I don't like the looks, then I'm keeping my F80 and maybe eventually getting a C8 Grand Sport or C8 Z06. I really hope for BMW's sake they don't make the first-ever ugly looking M3 with the G80...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #98
upsidedownfunnel
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1403
Rep
1,970
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
My M5 Competition fully loaded, with sunroof, is 4188 lbs. put the carbon roof instead and there you go a bit above 4,000 lbs
Did you weight it yourself? Your scales were probably not calibrated correctly. That's way off most review weights.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #99
JTO24
Got an 8:30 res at Dorsia
JTO24's Avatar
United_States
2318
Rep
4,258
Posts

Drives: 2018 AW M2 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (7)

I could be wrong but I see it as such:

-RWD + 6MT = M3/M4
-AWD (w/ switchable RWD like M5) + ZF8 = M3/M4 Comp

Do I think other permutations are technically feasible (RWD + ZF8 or AWD + 6MT)? Yes... do I feel BMW will offer them all? No.
__________________
2018 F87 M2 6MT | Alpine White | Exec. | OEM+
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
2016 981 Cayman 6MT | Jet Black | X73 Sport Suspension
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown | OEM+
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black | OEM+
Appreciate 2
mkoesel5461.00
OF Hero416.00

      11-25-2019, 09:12 AM   #100
04cobra
Major
530
Rep
1,002
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Damn, was really hoping for an AWD manual M3
__________________
2016 Ford Explorer Sports
2018 Trackhawk
2015 - BMW M3 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzz...8VHbpz5MaISxTw
Appreciate 2
OF Hero416.00
seis-speed1114.00

      11-27-2019, 04:35 PM   #101
antzcrashing
Lieutenant Colonel
antzcrashing's Avatar
United_States
456
Rep
1,899
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Eastern MA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
BMW M CEO Confirms G80 M3 Manual Will Be RWD Only

Thumbs down
Appreciate 1
seis-speed1114.00

      11-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #102
xlover
Major
No_Country
607
Rep
1,188
Posts

Drives: 2018 440 xdrive MPPSK
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 440 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
I could be wrong but I see it as such:

-RWD + 6MT = M3/M4
-AWD (w/ switchable RWD like M5) + ZF8 = M3/M4 Comp

Do I think other permutations are technically feasible (RWD + ZF8 or AWD + 6MT)? Yes... do I feel BMW will offer them all? No.
I think we will see
Base: 6mt/rwd and 8at/awd
Comp: 8at/awd
Appreciate 2
solstice1428.00
Ilyam5401.50

      11-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #103
JK479
Captain
91
Rep
779
Posts

Drives: 8 Speed Auto Bimmer
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Anywhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Makes sense for the 6MT to be RWD only since it implies not having to develop a brand new AWD MT drivetrain that does not currently exist in the BMW lineup. While the AWD 8AT drivetrain already exists, I wonder if the 8AT will be paired with RWD only chassis? My hunch is that is wont. What remains to be seen is if the 6MT RWD will have all of the same power output levels offered on the AWD 8AT.

Quote:
As for timeline - Flasch says the G80 M3 will debut towards the end of 2020 and begin production in 2021.
That's in line with what many of have been saying all along .
Doesn't the current out going 440i xdrive stick count?
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #104
Imola3
Private First Class
Imola3's Avatar
129
Rep
199
Posts

Drives: Mk.7 Golf R
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Being smooth with a manual AWD car can be a pain
__________________
Instagram @V5Garage
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 01:37 PM   #105
antzcrashing
Lieutenant Colonel
antzcrashing's Avatar
United_States
456
Rep
1,899
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Eastern MA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Makes sense for the 6MT to be RWD only since it implies not having to develop a brand new AWD MT drivetrain that does not currently exist in the BMW lineup. While the AWD 8AT drivetrain already exists, I wonder if the 8AT will be paired with RWD only chassis? My hunch is that is wont. What remains to be seen is if the 6MT RWD will have all of the same power output levels offered on the AWD 8AT.

Quote:
As for timeline - Flasch says the G80 M3 will debut towards the end of 2020 and begin production in 2021.
That's in line with what many of have been saying all along .
Doesn't the current out going 440i xdrive stick count?
Yes but that version had such a low production rate it practice doesn't exist. In truth it can be ordered that way. Next 4 series prob wont offer manual and awd, bc bmw follows audi
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #106
Lucky1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
362
Rep
1,556
Posts

Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3 View Post
Being smooth with a manual AWD car can be a pain
I hear that here and there and have an AWD myself but wasn't sure if it was the AWD or just the car/clutch and power itself. My other smaller RWD's are much easier to launch but are less powerful.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #107
PKthePM
Private First Class
Australia
59
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: BMW 440i F32
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

if I am reading this right, there is no 8AT + RWD? Would have been great to have this. love my f32 440i for this reason. you can entertain some more hooliganism with the Ms
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #108
solstice
Brigadier General
1428
Rep
4,481
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKthePM View Post
if I am reading this right, there is no 8AT + RWD? Would have been great to have this. love my f32 440i for this reason. you can entertain some more hooliganism with the Ms
The RWD mode of the MxDrive system should allow for such activities
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:17 AM   #109
PKthePM
Private First Class
Australia
59
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: BMW 440i F32
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKthePM View Post
if I am reading this right, there is no 8AT + RWD? Would have been great to have this. love my f32 440i for this reason. you can entertain some more hooliganism with the Ms
The RWD mode of the MxDrive system should allow for such activities
ah yes! clearly, i have never owned an M and hence my ignorance
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST