Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions software update not installing

05-25-2023, 03:26 PM   #111
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

I find that the software is downloaded but have to wait for the car to tell me it’s ready to install. I was concerned the first time that I could not install it. Then, one day, a message pops up asking me if I want to install it. Having the same issue with the latest update that was downloaded the other day. Checked the car t.his morning for the message it’s okay to install but again, message said, I will be informed when it’s available to install in the car.
      05-25-2023, 06:43 PM   #112
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roybeasley View Post
Just another one joining in.

I can get the update loaded, but it will not install. This now occurred for the last 2 updates that I've loaded but the car will not install the software. Really quite frustrating.
Exact same experience here. Last year the download on the app eventually expired without the car ever initializing the update. This year I am in the same situation currently for about a month now. I tried to manually update in the car and gets the same bogus message to wait for the car to instal it.
      05-27-2023, 01:45 PM   #113
ratlhead
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2020 X3 M40i

My 2020 M340i has the 11/2022.60 update through the prep process, waiting to be installed. Like others here...never being prompted to install.

At my dealer today for routine maintenance, and was told it's because this update isn't intended for my car. BMW apparently is rolling out versions of software to cars that they shouldn't, and that my car is already using the 'latest version.'

Hard to believe that's what a service guy told me... Sooo...guess I'll try the battery conditioning route. Don't know the first thing about that, but will go back in this thread to see what I can find.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 01:54 PM   #114
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlhead View Post
My 2020 M340i has the 11/2022.60 update through the prep process, waiting to be installed. Like others here...never being prompted to install.

At my dealer today for routine maintenance, and was told it's because this update isn't intended for my car. BMW apparently is rolling out versions of software to cars that they shouldn't, and that my car is already using the 'latest version.'

Hard to believe that's what a service guy told me... Sooo...guess I'll try the battery conditioning route. Don't know the first thing about that, but will go back in this thread to see what I can find.

The dealer is talking crap. My 2020 M340i has 11/2022.60 in it, upgraded by Remote Software Download at the beginning of April.
It could be the car battery charge state, causing it to not install. If you buy or borrow a charger, make sure that it is suitable for AGM batteries and connect it to the terminals under the hood/bonnet. A CTek MX5 is a good charger.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 01:56 PM   #115
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlhead View Post

You can ignore what the service guy is telling you. It is just a case of there being multiple problems with the OTA process. At first BMW acknowledged it and were paying dealers to provide the updates as part of warranty. They later changed that and said if you were on 07/2021.xx or higher then it is no longer a warranty issue. More than likely that change was due to the number of vehicle that are not installing the OTA.
      05-27-2023, 02:03 PM   #116
G_330i
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

I am having similar issues, but get stuck on the 'requirements' for the My BMW app to transfer the RSU from my iPhone.

I am prompted both via iDrive and the app that the upgrade has been downloaded and ready to be transferred.

When I turn on the ignition and have the app open, the app says connected via Bluetooth Audio, connected via Apps, but connection required via Wi-Fi.
When I go onto iDrive and check, I can clearly see my iPhone connected via Bluetooth Audio, connected via Apps, AND connected via Wi-Fi and the same from my iPhone settings.

Has anyone experienced this too, and based on the current thread are people's My BMW apps saying that Bluetooth Audio, Apps and Wi-Fi are all connected to the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 05:11 PM   #117
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_330i View Post
I am having similar issues, but get stuck on the 'requirements' for the My BMW app to transfer the RSU from my iPhone.

I am prompted both via iDrive and the app that the upgrade has been downloaded and ready to be transferred.

When I turn on the ignition and have the app open, the app says connected via Bluetooth Audio, connected via Apps, but connection required via Wi-Fi.
When I go onto iDrive and check, I can clearly see my iPhone connected via Bluetooth Audio, connected via Apps, AND connected via Wi-Fi and the same from my iPhone settings.

Has anyone experienced this too, and based on the current thread are people's My BMW apps saying that Bluetooth Audio, Apps and Wi-Fi are all connected to the car?
Yes, they should all be connected and shown green in the App connections You need to change the wifi connection from carplay to the App ...so just temporarily disable carplay on your phone, and then connect the MyBMW App to the car wifi. It uses WiFi direct; you should see direct..xxxxxx where X is last 6 digits of your VIN as an available network. If it asks you for a password, the wifi password is available in idrive under mobile device connection settings
Then it should all work fine. I've done 6 RSUs without any issues at all...4 on my M340i and 2 on my wife's F 40 1 series
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 05:20 PM   #118
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You can ignore what the service guy is telling you. It is just a case of there being multiple problems with the OTA process. At first BMW acknowledged it and were paying dealers to provide the updates as part of warranty. They later changed that and said if you were on 07/2021.xx or higher then it is no longer a warranty issue. More than likely that change was due to the number of vehicle that are not installing the OTA.
That isn't the case where I am. The RSU process has always worked without any issues ; i have done 6; 4 on my M340i and 2 on my wife's 1 series. The only thing I always do is make sure that the file transfer from phone to car is not interrupted, and I also check the car battery voltage.
I do think that the process isn't very user friendly as there are far too many pre-requisites for it to work correctly. And if you use car play or android auto, you should temporarily disable it on the phone to enable the myBMW App to connect to the car correctly
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 02:32 AM   #119
DazMelb20
Rep
Drives: 118i

I wonder why BMW doesn't move to a model of allowing updates either from a persons home Wifi or via the cellular network (SIM card) in each car? The whole process of downloading updates via the app - transfer to the car then randomly waiting for the car to update seems antiquated to me. Esp. when you compare the process to a Tesla and other EVs.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 08:44 AM   #120
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazMelb20 View Post
I wonder why BMW doesn't move to a model of allowing updates either from a persons home Wifi or via the cellular network (SIM card) in each car? The whole process of downloading updates via the app - transfer to the car then randomly waiting for the car to update seems antiquated to me. Esp. when you compare the process to a Tesla and other EVs.
When the OTA's first came out they were through the vehicles's cell connection. They stopped doing that a while ago. It was supposedly supposed to come back but have not heard that it did. Someone posted that if you don't use the App for anything it will know to go directly to the vehicle but we have not had confirmation of that.
      05-28-2023, 08:47 AM   #121
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
That isn't the case where I am. The RSU process has always worked without any issues ; i have done 6; 4 on my M340i and 2 on my wife's 1 series. The only thing I always do is make sure that the file transfer from phone to car is not interrupted, and I also check the car battery voltage.
I do think that the process isn't very user friendly as there are far too many pre-requisites for it to work correctly. And if you use car play or android auto, you should temporarily disable it on the phone to enable the myBMW App to connect to the car correctly
You are lucky, that is not the rest if the world especially NA.

As far as disabling the CarPlay, and likely AA, that is the opposite of the way it should be done. If you use CarPlay nothing at all needs to be done in order for the transfer to work since the phone is already connected properly. The file will transfer during regular use.
      05-28-2023, 11:20 AM   #122
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

UK based G20 LCI (330i) reporting in.

The previous RSU (the first since delivery) and the most recent RSU (last week) were both performed without using the MyBMW App.

The App informed me first that an upgrade was available - but the car had already downloaded it - and proceeded to offer installation at the next switch-off.

I waited until the car was parked at home before agreeing to installation.

Got the usual questions about car being safely parked, etc - then upgrade started after I left the car with the keyfob.

App informed me about 30 minutes later that upgrade was successful completed.

As per last time - I had to redo some Bimmer Coding as my changes got erased.

The download to App appears to be market related - not required in the UK.

Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #123
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
I started this post a year ago when an update failed to install. I finally took it to a dealer who manually installed it. The dealer did not have an explanation, merely said common issue. Well a year on, I have received another update. Transferred to car. Same issue.
So it’s either shocking that Bmw are not fixing the root cause or the conspiracy theorist in me says that Bmw are intentionally excluding cars that are out of warranty. Alternatively they are excluding the pre LCI cars. My car is from feb 2019. Of all the people who have reported the issue in recent days, is any of your cars less than 3 years old or pre LCI ?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 07:31 PM   #124
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I think it is because the WiFi in the cars isn't conventional Wifi and the car isn't a router. WiFi direct is a point to point protocol and it appears that the phones don't like 2 apps using a WiFi direct connection at the same time. I know that the process works with zero issues if I temporarily disable Android Auto for the 30 minute so so that it takes to transfer the file from phone to car and do the upgrade.
In fact i just did the upgrade to 03/2022.50 on my M340i this morning. Worked with no issues at all and took 35 minutes from phone connection to upgrade complete
As I said, there is no need to disable CarPlay. I, and many others, have kept CarPlay connected and the files transferred just fine.
      05-29-2023, 07:44 PM   #125
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
I started this post a year ago when an update failed to install. I finally took it to a dealer who manually installed it. The dealer did not have an explanation, merely said common issue. Well a year on, I have received another update. Transferred to car. Same issue.
So it’s either shocking that Bmw are not fixing the root cause or the conspiracy theorist in me says that Bmw are intentionally excluding cars that are out of warranty. Alternatively they are excluding the pre LCI cars. My car is from feb 2019. Of all the people who have reported the issue in recent days, is any of your cars less than 3 years old or pre LCI ?

I don't think that there is a conspiracy on BMWs part or that BMW are not doing upgrades to non LCI or out of warranty cars. I am in New Zealand and I haven't had any issue at all with the process since i got my M340i in January 2020. But it isn't the most user friendly process and the instructions in the MyBMW App have to be followed exactly, and in the right order. I upgraded my M340i to 03/2023.50 this morning in a bit over 35 minutes..no issues at all. I do a few extra things that seem to make it trouble free:
I temporarily deactivate Android Auto so that the MyBMW App is the only app using the WiFI direct protocol to the car. I always drive in Sport mode while the file is being transferred from phone to the car. . And I never interrupt the file transfer from phone to car..even though it says you can and it will continue where it left off..minimizes the chance of a file getting corrupted during the transfer.
These things have always worked for me and I'm now up to 8 upgrades; 6 on my M340i and 2 on my wife's F40 1 Series

Last edited by TikiTourer; 05-30-2023 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      05-29-2023, 07:51 PM   #126
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I always drive in Sport mode while the file is being transferred from phone to the car. In Sport mode the alternator is always charging the battery so I know that it will be fully charged for the upgrade to commence.
That is not correct. BMW uses Brake Energy Regeneration so the alternator is on a clutch. Charging only occurs when the vehicle is coasting or braking. The exception to that is when the battery falls below a specific SOC, 60% is most often quoted. At that time it will continue charging until the battery reaches a specific SOC, 80% it seems.
      05-29-2023, 08:22 PM   #127
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
WiFi direct is a point to point protocol and it appears that the phones don't like 2 apps using a WiFi direct connection at the same time.
Please stop spreading misinformation on a public forum. What you’re saying makes absolutely zero sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 02:28 AM   #128
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't think that there is a conspiracy on BMWs part or that BMW are not doing upgrades to non LCI or out of warranty cars. I am in New Zealand and I haven't had any issue at all with the process since i got my M340i in January 2020. But it isn't the most user friendly process and the instructions in the MyBMW App have to be followed exactly, and in the right order. I upgraded my M340i to 03/2023.50 this morning in a bit over 35 minutes..no issues at all. I do a few extra things that seem to make it trouble free:
I temporarily deactivate Android Auto so that the MyBMW App is the only app using the WiFI direct protocol to the car. I always drive in Sport mode while the file is being transferred from phone to the car. In Sport mode the alternator is always charging the battery so I know that it will be fully charged for the upgrade to commence. And I never interrupt the file transfer from phone to car..even though it says you can and it will continue where it left off..minimizes the chance of a file getting corrupted during the transfer.
These things have always worked for me and I'm now up to 8 upgrades; 6 on my M340i and 2 on my wife's F40 1 Series
I have done multiple software updates in the past. I am aware of transfer issues from phone to car when car play is connected. I have successfully transferred the software to the car. I drive a lot, so battery is not an issue (unless the capacity has degraded). I just find it pretty surprising that I’ve not not been able to start the update 2nd year in a row
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2023, 02:52 AM   #129
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
I have done multiple software updates in the past. I am aware of transfer issues from phone to car when car play is connected. I have successfully transferred the software to the car. I drive a lot, so battery is not an issue (unless the capacity has degraded). I just find it pretty surprising that I’ve not not been able to start the update 2nd year in a row
Yes that is odd. The battery on my M340i was replaced under warranty at 3 year inspection..i didn't notice any errors, but the dealer said there were 2 error codes. Depending on age, perhaps battery could be a problem. I have a Ctek MX-5 charger that I use on our 2 BMWs as we are away a lot and cars are idle for a couple of months at a time. Might be useful putting one of those on yours, , or any charger suitable for AGM batteries, just to see what it does as it goes through the charging cycle.
good luck
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      05-30-2023, 05:34 AM   #130
damn4yeo
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 320d

Quote:
I temporarily deactivate Android Auto so that the MyBMW App is the only app using the WiFI direct protocol to the car. I always drive in Sport mode while the file is being transferred from phone to the car. . And I never interrupt the file transfer from phone to car..even though it says you can and it will continue where it left off..minimizes the chance of a file getting corrupted during the transfer.
Registered my account for this problem. Same here in NZ, finished transferring from the phone to the car, but it only showed “Installed version: 03/2023.50 Preparations for upgrade to version 03/2023.50 completed. You will be notified when the upgrade can be installed. Installation only when parked. See Owner's Manual for more Information.” Maybe that's because I was using wireless carplay when my phone was transferring data and I interrupted once when my phone was transferring data,I will probably go to dealership and let them have a look as my car is still under warranty.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      05-30-2023, 11:27 AM   #131
VINCER0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINCER0 View Post
I'm also stuck on 7/21 and will have to bring it to the dealers.
Update:

On my 2021 M340i xDrive, I recently received an check control message notification for a "Left High Highbeam Malfunction". The left headlight and highbeam functioned without any issues even with the error notification.

It also seems to have caused a drain on the battery, because I had to jumpstart it after I got that notification.

The BMW service center quickly found that it was a software glitch that was causing that false check control message to appear and that it was indeed causing the headlight module to drain the battery. I got updated to 03/2023.53 (from 07/2021.3X) as a solution for no monetary charge as I am still under factory warranty.

Seat and mirror positions presets were erased.

Shortcut buttons and every other setting was preserved.

I didn't have a chance to see what else the new update did from 7/21 but I do see updated graphics on energy flow and the car does seem to charge the 48V battery more often/easily when driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 01:20 PM   #132
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn4yeo View Post
Registered my account for this problem. Same here in NZ, finished transferring from the phone to the car, but it only showed “Installed version: 03/2023.50 Preparations for upgrade to version 03/2023.50 completed. You will be notified when the upgrade can be installed. Installation only when parked. See Owner's Manual for more Information.” Maybe that's because I was using wireless carplay when my phone was transferring data and I interrupted once when my phone was transferring data,I will probably go to dealership and let them have a look as my car is still under warranty.
There is no problem with CarPlay, just ignore that. What you are experiencing is unfortunately fairly common. In some cases it is a low SOC of the battery that is causing the problem but not in the majority of instances. BMWNA has acknowledged that there are problems with the OTA that can't be solved and need to have dealer intervention.