Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA BMW - Aftermarket Wheel Painters

03-16-2020, 09:45 PM   #1
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i ,17 Impreza,16 Pulsar

BMW - Aftermarket Wheel Painters

Hi all anyone recently have changed their rims from the default bi colour to another colour any recommendations of someone in Sydney...
i really would like to paint the rims to matt black or gloss black for my black sapphire car
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
swaters
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Interested to know as well
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 03:45 AM   #3
Zephyr0s
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Your wheels can be painted (least expensive) however it would be prone to chipping and scratches. I have heard horror stories, where the paint starts to fade or peel, especially if the quality is sub-par.

On the other end, you've got the more expensive, durable and longer lasting option which is to powder coat your wheels. You can do a bit of googling (i.e. see Wheels Respray Sydney). I personally have not used them before. It doesn't appear to be cheap though, based on the price guidance, it starts from $1000 (assuming 19" for all corners), and can easily add up once you factor in extra's such as clear coating, and tyre removal, etc.

I went down the path of buying the wheels and colour I was after, and did a direct swap over, luckily for me the tyre fitment was identical (BMW OEMs), so it was relatively straightforward. You can then keep or sell the old set of wheels to offset the cost. In my case, it worked out to be a free swap, other than a bit of time and effort to sell the original set.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 03:50 AM   #4
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr0s View Post
Your wheels can be painted (least expensive) however it would be prone to chipping and scratches. I have heard horror stories, where the paint starts to fade or peel, especially if the quality is sub-par.

On the other end, you've got the more expensive, durable and longer lasting option which is to powder coat your wheels. You can do a bit of googling (i.e. see Wheels Respray Sydney). I personally have not used them before. It doesn't appear to be cheap though, based on the price guidance, it starts from $1000 (assuming 19" for all corners), and can easily add up once you factor in extra's such as clear coating, and tyre removal, etc.

I went down the path of buying the wheels and colour I was after, and did a direct swap over, luckily for me the tyre fitment was identical (BMW OEMs), so it was relatively straightforward. You can then keep or sell the old set of wheels to offset the cost. In my case, it worked out to be a free swap, other than a bit of time and effort to sell the original set.

Hi Zephyr0s,
did you get the new set from BMW directly?
how much did you pay for the new set?
i would really want to get the black set. i wish i had it but i had placed for a car which was already on a boat to AUS...
life is so hard for perfect combination in my situation
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:02 AM   #5
Zephyr0s
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Since some BMW owners prefer going down the aftermarket route, and trading in their original set to the shop. eBay is your best bet, usually wheel shops will list near new OEM wheels from time to time, just keep an eye out and you'll find a decently priced (especially if you catch it on a sale).

I wanted the 795M black wheels, unfortunately I was unable to source it locally for a reasonable price, so I ended up with the 791M black and loving it!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:22 AM   #6
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr0s View Post
Since some BMW owners prefer going down the aftermarket route, and trading in their original set to the shop. eBay is your best bet, usually wheel shops will list near new OEM wheels from time to time, just keep an eye out and you'll find a decently priced (especially if you catch it on a sale).

I wanted the 795M black wheels, unfortunately I was unable to source it locally for a reasonable price, so I ended up with the 791M black and loving it!
thanks Zephyr0s

appreciate your information and advice. i shall keep it a bit and save some more money before changing haha. i wished i had it default all black but the one on order didn't have oh well at least my car is coming soon.
Appreciate 0