Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Methods for bedding in new brakes?

03-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Methods for bedding in new brakes?

What is the best method to bed in new brakes?

I’m a bit fuzzy about this as I bought my F30 335i seven years ago.
I seemed to remember bedding in the brakes by braking moderately hard from 100 kph to around 60-70 kph. On a clear road, of course.
Accelerate again to 100 kph and repeat the process for periods of around 15 minutes while the brakes were still warm.
I would repeat this process several times over a few days.

In 7 years I have never had a problem with my brakes and am still on the original discs and pads. Admittedly, I have driven only 28,500 km in the time I have had the car.

I had heard some people had driven with the brakes on lightly.
I do not recommend this method as the discs and pads get pretty hot and glaze the brakes pads, making them much less efficient.

Does anyone else have a method for bedding in new brakes?

Last edited by SteveAus; 03-23-2020 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
I spoke to the BMW chief mechanic at the local dealership today and he reckons all new BMW’s arrive with bedded brakes due to the rolling roads they use prior to delivery. However, he added a caveat saying that using the method mentioned in the previous post could be performed and would be somewhat beneficial, as long as you keep the braking to a reasonable level and to not do it for more than three or four heavy applications.

The underlying note was don’t worry......if you haven’t performed any extra bedding in of your brakes, you will be fine for the foreseeable future.