Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals Video: Throttle House - BMW M340i vs. Audi S4 vs. Mercedes C43 AMG

07-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #45
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I think there analysis is spot on
I have driven all these cars extensively and was looking for the M340 to be more aggressive and sportier .. Agree that the 330 overall felt better and more coordinated drive train
for those who have not driven the C43 , do yourself a favor and drive one , it is fun engaging car and will put a smile on your face , and make sure you drive one with performance exhaust
only draw back for c43 is they lease poorly
Appreciate 6
Germanauto9665.50
stein_325i25051.00
GGG333603.50
clee1982796.00
chrisk03153.00
      07-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #46
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
Idk how much fun you guys need but every time I take it and rip back roads it's puts a smile on my face.... I guess everyone's got there own opinions.
It's all relative to what you're used to. I'd suspect people who never drove an E46, E90, etc. would be thrilled after driving the new 340. Every review has basically said the same thing...it's much improved from the F30, but not even close to the good old days. I had driven an M2 just minutes before which also altered my perception, as that car is incredibly involving to drive.

Those older cars were a blast to even drive at the speed limit, the new one not so much. Just sort of cruises in comfort and isolation, with the grooves in the road having no effect on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      07-03-2019, 11:09 PM   #47
Southern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Very generic and poor statement. What works for you, might not work for others, as "daily driver" definition varies from individual to individual.
There is no such thing as the best daily driver as each of us has its own criteria.
But, I respect your perception...
Have you driven an S4? Your statement of slow (although it's just as fast as the 340 and C43) and soft or much more "generic" and "poor"...
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2019, 12:21 AM   #48
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
The fact that he owns a number of E46 cars means that he's likely biased toward the older generation bmw models. Typically, enthusiasts that prefer the older cars don't particularly like modern cars. This seems especially so with those who prefer the older bmws.

I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that the host who owns multiple e46 cars would tell you that of the modern bmw line up, he likes the m2, but isn't fond of anything else.
The host has owned a bunch of E46 and he’s put out very favorable reviews on the M2 and M2c, but he also thought the G20 330 was the best vs the A4 and C300, he was extremely positive about the M5, he loved the X3, and he really liked the 850.

The guy is pretty fair and has spoken extremely favorable about many of the modern BMWs. You may not agree with his view, but his reviews generally pretty fair

Last edited by wknddrivr; 07-04-2019 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25051.00
clee1982796.00
CanAutM321104.50
G8rGrl568.50
      07-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #49
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tareemaa View Post
Tons of bias. Merc has aggressive shifts, great, I'd still feel like an asshole paddle shifting through 9 gears.
I didn't think there was any bias, if anything they would have been more bias towards the BMW as one of the hosts owns a ton of E46's and is a BMW enthusiast. Everyone needs to remember at the end of the day its an individual opinion, each of those cars are great in their own ways and would be fun to own.
The fact that he owns a number of E46 cars means that he's likely biased toward the older generation bmw models. Typically, enthusiasts that prefer the older cars don't particularly like modern cars. This seems especially so with those who prefer the older bmws.

I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that the host who owns multiple e46 cars would tell you that of the modern bmw line up, he likes the m2, but isn't fond of anything else.
I believe he also owns an m2c. I would assume he's biased to BMW if anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #50
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
The license plate says Ontario Canada.
I noticed that as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #51
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaMobile View Post
Did I see M badges on the front fenders of the M340i? How come mine didn't come with them?
BMWNA does not select that option from BMWAG for the USA. This started with the F-chassis.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #52
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern View Post
Have you driven an S4? Your statement of slow (although it's just as fast as the 340 and C43) and soft or much more "generic" and "poor"...
My comment of slow? What are you talking about?
Secondly, my family drives S5's and A8 and my wife's E84 x1 handling is sharper and much better than both. Go figure. Even she mentioned that her car is more nimble and responsive.

Yeah, I drove the A4, the S4 but no, I would not look at the S4 as is out of my interest in every aspect. For me daily driver means the best for my daily trips and -besides the terrible interior (for me)- the A4 is not even close to what I am looking for. And if I need to pick, a 3 series with M pack fully loaded will be my choice by far...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #53
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

My thoughts after the M Town Tour...I was expecting more from the M340i...more pomp and flash. It was more subdued and comfortable...not loud whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #54
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
They got it all wrong. The engine upgrade and the upper models are only as good as the base models. The body stiffness, the suspension design, weight distribution all stay from base models.
I bought 340 based on how good the 330 test drive was.

If c 300 sucks in base form - guess what - lipstick on a pig is not going to make it a good car. It makes noises but like they said on the track and at the limit - it will all mean nothing. Meanwhile M340 behaves beautifully at the limit.
So absolutely not true of the F30/G80. The F30 was a steaming pile but the F80 pulled it all together. If you'd just driven an F30 with your assumptions no one would have ever bought an F8x.
That's BS,
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      07-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #55
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
My thoughts after the M Town Tour...I was expecting more from the M340i...more pomp and flash. It was more subdued and comfortable...not loud whatsoever.
I think its all the M badge, its all psychological, because when you think of an M3 (or any M), you think of fast, loud, and raw. So one would think that with the M340i having an M Prefix, that it would borrow more from the M3 than the 330i, when in reality, it is a 330i with upgrades in the powertrain department and just has an M badge next to its designation. Now this isn't a bad thing as the 330i is a great car, and more power and a nicer engine makes it even better, its just not this raw and loud machine that the M3 is, and this is purposeful of course because otherwise some may not even bother and spring for the M model, or they may find the car too harsh for not being a "full M," and BMW likely wants these features such as loud exhaust and a more raw and harsh personality to be exclusive to the full M cars, and of course sell them at a higher price for a higher profit. I wonder if the car's badge said 340i would the expectations be different?

I think the Mercedes is actually the opposite of the M340i, the C43 borrows more from its full AMG sibling, the C63, rather than its more traditional and luxurious regular C300 model. And because of this, it does have some AMG-like qualities such as a loud exhaust, with exhaust blips on upshifts, and a stiff suspension, all of which can either be good or bad depending on your preference, because some may want that AMG-like experience for less, or they may just want the comfort and refinement of a C300 just with a V6 instead of a 4 cylinder and without the harsher suspension and loud exhaust, like the people who just want a luxury line 340i to exist, as they don't care for any of the M-performance bits, they just want the smoother and more refined engine and less flashy appearance.

I have adjusted to the new model hierarchy w/ BMW and Merc where they put the M and AMG badges on cars that aren't fully built by these separate divisions, and while it may have been annoying at first, it definitely will not change, so my peace has been made and I don't get mad about it anymore, but I do think, if they are going to be making these M-Performance models, they should borrow a little more from the M division, because in my opinion the M340i is a great car, but it doesn't have many distinctive differences other than its powertrain from that of a 330i in M-Sport guise with similar options.

So in the end, I definitely see what the hosts of Throttle House are saying. Essentially if you don't need the extra second shaved from your 0-60 time, and don't mind having a 4 cylinder engine, the 330i is a perfect car for you, as the M340i really only adds those features because of its larger engine. Both cars will handle relatively similarly, and have many of the same options cosmetically and mechanically, providing a similar experience, just one being slower than the other, and heck the 330i may handle better due to it weighing less overall and over the front, and its newer designed steering rack which may have more feedback, I remember once Road & Track decided that the 228i was the best 2 series to buy because of this, they found that the decrease in weight provided a better driving experience, but in the end, like they said, all 3 cars are a great choice that you can't go wrong with.

Anyways, thats just my thoughts and opinions, I'm sure others will be different or maybe similar.

Last edited by stein_325i; 07-04-2019 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 5
      07-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #56
farns2345
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i sedan m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I like all these cars but would get tired of soft/slow S4 and annoyed by abrupt/sharp C43. The M340i hits the middle with all the performance and none of the penalty.
The S4 isn't slow by any means. It's also not 'soft'. From someone that owns one, the Audi is probably the best daily driver.
Quote:
Quote:
I like all these cars but would get tired of soft/slow S4 and annoyed by abrupt/sharp C43. The M340i hits the middle with all the performance and none of the penalty.
The S4 isn't slow by any means. It's also not 'soft'. From someone that owns one, the Audi is probably the best daily driver.
You need to take all comments on this site with a grain of salt as the majority of them come from bmw fan boys who vehemently defend or make excuses whenever someone says anything but praise for a BMW or a BMW loses a comparison test.
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #57
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperBimmer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
They got it all wrong. The engine upgrade and the upper models are only as good as the base models. The body stiffness, the suspension design, weight distribution all stay from base models.

If c 300 sucks in base form - guess what - lipstick on a pig is not going to make it a good car. It makes noises but like they said on the track and at the limit - it will all mean nothing. Meanwhile M340 behaves beautifully at the limit.
So absolutely not true of the F30/G80. The F30 was a steaming pile but the F80 pulled it all together. If you'd just driven an F30 with your assumptions no one would have ever bought an F8x.
That's BS,
OK.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 05:30 PM   #58
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Price difference between equally spec'd xDrive M340i and 330i on my build is about $6k or $100/mo on lease. I'll take the B58 thanks.
Appreciate 2
Jbrock22221.50
clee1982796.00
      07-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #59
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaMobile View Post
Did I see M badges on the front fenders of the M340i? How come mine didn't come with them?
Because it's not an m3
      07-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #60
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Benz all day.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #61
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by farns2345 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You need to take all comments on this site with a grain of salt as the majority of them come from bmw fan boys who vehemently defend or make excuses whenever someone says anything but praise for a BMW or a BMW loses a comparison test.
What exactly do you expect on a site named "Bimmer World"? Did you expect the majority of members to gush on about their Audi A4? It amazes me that people log on here and then express disappointment that members tend to generally favor bmw.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #62
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Very generic and poor statement. What works for you, might not work for others, as "daily driver" definition varies from individual to individual.
There is no such thing as the best daily driver as each of us has its own criteria.
But, I respect your perception...
The poor and generic statement was the one you made prior. The S4/S5 are just as quick as the C43 and M340i. The general basic requirements for a daily driver for everyone is basically the same, smooth and comfortable. The degree to how comfortable and how smooth you want your car to be is where you're going to choose what brand vehicle you'll be driving. It's the same reason why you drive a BMW.

Do you want a car that breaks your back every time you hit a pothole or do you want the car to iron out bumps so you don't feel them? Do you want a quiet ride or do you want to constantly be hearing wind noise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.

Last edited by The Automotive Enthusiast; 07-04-2019 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 10:01 PM   #63
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by farns2345 View Post
True. I'm just trying to set the record straight because I'm an enthusiast. I love cars. I love driving other brands to see how each one is different and how the driving experience is different in each one. I've been fortunate enough to do just that.

Quote:
What exactly do you expect on a site named "Bimmer World"? Did you expect the majority of members to gush on about their Audi A4? It amazes me that people log on here and then express disappointment that members tend to generally favor bmw.
Ignorance is bliss, isn't it? You'd be amazed at how many people on this forum not only have a BMW in the garage, but an Audi or a Mercedes. Shoot, a lot of them have Porsches and many of them even have exotics sitting in the garage. The BMW is just the daily driver. Don't think for a second this forum is 'only' people who own a BMW. You'd be lying to yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 12:26 AM   #64
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

I don't think it would be heresy to say that the S4 would be the best daily driver out of these three.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #65
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Wrong... have you driven any track prepared 325s? 328? they handle better than M3.

base model is the indicator of the car performance not only for f30 but also for all other platforms.
That's why Turner Motorsport and other tuners often take base model and equip it with track suspension and engine mods. e46 325 Turner car won many races. e36 prepped base cars are brilliant. F30 328 is a nice base for any track project as well.

G20 just takes it to another level - body is stiffer, suspension tighter.
I would take 330 over any Mercedes. Audi is not even in consideration set. Alfa romeo base model will be better vs any audi a4 based variants
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #66
Becky_the_f30
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:

Quote:

Man you hit this on the head!! This was the exact same thought process I had going on while watching this video. The 330 is starting from a much higher level than the base c300 and the fact that they didn't even mention that was pretty disappointing.