Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 330i jerky when braking

03-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
JCH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

330i jerky when braking

Hi all,

I currently own a MY2019 330i G20. It's the first BMW that I've ever owned. I am noticing something that I'm not quite used to. Whenever braking from ~20mph, the car's transmission feels quite jerky and you can really feel the downshifts, it kinda throws you back and forth in your seat, and I could never really perfect it. I put the car into neutral while braking and noticed that it was much smoother.

Putting the car into Sport mode kinda helps when the jerkiness as well, but I tend to drive in comfort mode or eco pro as I have long highway commutes everyday.

Is this something that's normal in a G20 330i? I've also driven a F45 218i before but that transmission wasn't quite as jerky when braking like this G20 is. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
Hi all,

I currently own a MY2019 330i G20. It's the first BMW that I've ever owned. I am noticing something that I'm not quite used to. Whenever braking from ~20mph, the car's transmission feels quite jerky and you can really feel the downshifts, it kinda throws you back and forth in your seat, and I could never really perfect it. I put the car into neutral while braking and noticed that it was much smoother.

Putting the car into Sport mode kinda helps when the jerkiness as well, but I tend to drive in comfort mode or eco pro as I have long highway commutes everyday.

Is this something that's normal in a G20 330i? I've also driven a F45 218i before but that transmission wasn't quite as jerky when braking like this G20 is. Thanks!
Yes. It is normal in the 330i. There are other people who have had the same issue. I hated it. Funny enough, after adding the JB+, car seems to have become smoother overall. I didn’t expect it to change all these behaviors in the car but it did. No more jerky downshifts for me.

PS - There was another thread discussing the same issue in the 330i. Not sure if it was this forum or another one but yea.

PPS - Here’s the thread.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1679884
2017 Audi A7 Prestige

Last edited by VipinLJ; 03-02-2020 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:03 PM   #3
Nichols623
Rep
Drives: G20

Either I got use to it or the transmission got use to me because I only notice it from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #4
JCH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Yes. It is normal in the 330i. There are other people who have had the same issue. I hated it. Funny enough, after adding the JB+, car seems to have become smoother overall. I didn’t expect it to change all these behaviors in the car but it did. No more jerky downshifts for me.

PS - There was another thread discussing the same issue in the 330i. Not sure if it was this forum or another one but yea.

PPS - Here’s the thread.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1679884
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHeckler View Post
Either I got use to it or the transmission got use to me because I only notice it from time to time.
Hmm that's interesting, thank y'all for your input. Guess I'll just have to learn to deal with it!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 01:23 AM   #5
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Hi Guys

Head over to the UK section for the G20 330e. This variant is the most popular and you’ll find lots of threads and posts dedicated to the 330e.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #6
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 xdrive28i X1

Quote:
Hi all,

Quote:
Hi all,

Hey my 2021 that I just purchased is doing this. What was the end result with yours? Did it smooth out or was it still present? Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #7
e90dude1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i - M Sport

I got my 330i a few weeks ago and I have noticed this a little but more annoying is coming to a stop there is a slight rock front to back? Coming from a MK7 GTI which stopped on a dime and is front wheel drive so maybe it is some slop in the driveshaft?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 07:25 AM   #8
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

My 2021 M340i has this issue to some degree.

It seems the brake engagement is not linear over the pedal travel. Lightly pressing the pedal gets consistent light braking, but then it reaches a point where the brake engagement is much more positive. During light braking in traffic this gives a jerky feel because you don’t always have a sense of when it will start to brake much harder. However, if you have a heavy braking need (like slowing down for an off ramp) you might pass through and not even notice the transition.
Appreciate 0