Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Mission Presents | M-Link | At-Home Bench DME Flashback, Backup, Recover, and Unlock

08-05-2023, 09:16 PM   #67
peelo801
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xdrive

Following!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 01:55 AM   #68
////\/\4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNRW View Post
I hope these aren´t empty words like back in 2021 when you talked about the 06/2020+ unlocks...
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1834548
Yup I’m not believing anything quite yet.
Appreciate 4
pateke267.00
cilas21.50
koopa109.00
      08-06-2023, 03:39 AM   #69
MM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Sorry if I missed it somewhere in here, so this will work with the new M2 G87?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 05:45 AM   #70
docjavier
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarth695 View Post
Sorry if I missed it somewhere in here, so this will work with the new M2 G87?
I don't think so, not yet. We are (Gseries) all waiting.
      08-06-2023, 06:39 AM   #71
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
This is all great but we need a specific ETA on when this will be released for G80, G82, G87 customers please.
      08-06-2023, 07:52 AM   #72
esentials469
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Hi there. The DME can be upgraded for an E70 N55 Engine? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 11:00 AM   #73
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovo_1123 View Post
If I have multiple cars that need to be bench unlocked, how many times can the license be transferred between vehicles? Can you elaborate on how that system works?
I'm fairly certain a transfer license is necessary which allows a new vehicle to be paired. You save on having to buy another hardware device but it's probably about half the cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 12:17 PM   #74
mazgot08
Rep
Drives: 2023 Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM3 View Post
This is all great but we need a specific ETA on when this will be released for G80, G82, G87 customers please.
Don’t hold your breath. Various companies over the last few years have claimed they are close to unlocking the post 6/2020 ECUs and still only Femto can actually do it. If they had the solution they would release it. Fact is Femto team is the only ones that have figured out the Bosch exploit and there is no reason to expect anyone else to ever figure it out.
Appreciate 5
////\/\4164.50
cilas21.50
mattssi879.00
      08-06-2023, 01:00 PM   #75
BMWnation
BMWnation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 535, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazgot08 View Post
Don’t hold your breath. Various companies over the last few years have claimed they are close to unlocking the post 6/2020 ECUs and still only Femto can actually do it. If they had the solution they would release it. Fact is Femto team is the only ones that have figured out the Bosch exploit and there is no reason to expect anyone else to ever figure it out.
Agreed, I’m terms of “other priorities” if you’re a BMW tuner unlocking these ECU’s are the oth most piority. If you understand how the Fetmo unlock are conducted, I don’t see this happening w/this. We all could be wrong, but we’ll keep watiting until……..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 03:08 PM   #76
////\/\4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition Xdrive

Quote:
Yup. If I cracked the DME unlock for 21+ I would be bragging all over the forums. I’ve come to believe they haven’t.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 03:14 PM   #77
spademonkey
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT - Zandvoort Blue

Once there’s an option for the current G87/G80/G82 I’ll be in as well, and I’m sure my buddies over at the shops locally will be very happy to not have to ship ECU’s out
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 05:29 PM   #78
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
They already proved to have done it, and it was before Femto. If you search on the forums you’ll find where Mission has unlocked post 6/2020 DMEs. We’re talking about a company who has a proven track record of working directly with OEMs and probably has a better understanding of BMW’s DMEs than anyone else on these forums. Not sure why people think they need to brag about it or prove anything further.

They already stated why it wasn’t made available to the public, but this new product and hardware seems to be a solution to that issue with a patent pending. It’s coming, just be patient.
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      08-06-2023, 06:16 PM   #79
mazgot08
Rep
Drives: 2023 Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
They already proved to have done it, and it was before Femto. If you search on the forums you’ll find where Mission has unlocked post 6/2020 DMEs. We’re talking about a company who has a proven track record of working directly with OEMs and probably has a better understanding of BMW’s DMEs than anyone else on these forums. Not sure why people think they need to brag about it or prove anything further.

They already stated why it wasn’t made available to the public, but this new product and hardware seems to be a solution to that issue with a patent pending. It’s coming, just be patient.
“Just 2 more weeks” right?

MP has a great rep you are right, but everyone thought we were getting an unlock from them 2 years ago when they first announced it. I know they didn’t want their IP to be stolen, but they could have offered mail in services just like femto, and I even remember Alex saying that was a possibility. All I am saying is this promise has been made before with the urge to be patient, but until it’s actually available to the public I will remain skeptical that we ever see it from anyone other than femto.
Appreciate 1
imOFP210.50
      08-06-2023, 06:27 PM   #80
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
“Just 2 more weeks” right?

MP has a great rep you are right, but everyone thought we were getting an unlock from them 2 years ago when they first announced it. I know they didn’t want their IP to be stolen, but they could have offered mail in services just like femto, and I even remember Alex saying that was a possibility. All I am saying is this promise has been made before with the urge to be patient, but until it’s actually available to the public I will remain skeptical that we ever see it from anyone other than femto.
I can’t tell you not to be skeptical, but I’m optimistic this device is a huge step in the right direction and what MP has been working on all this time. They already said it will be capable of unlocking newer DMEs with an update later so people will either believe it or not. Not sure why people wouldn’t though, they never said in the past exactly when a solution for newer DMEs would be available to the public so in my opinion, they haven’t done anything to make people skeptical.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 08:14 PM   #81
totalone
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 e45, M440

Following!!!
Was going to pull a trigger and sent my ecu out to femto.

Waiting on pricing and procedures for 21+ dme
      08-06-2023, 08:52 PM   #82
totalone
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 e45, M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post

Leaving a good question for last for today: That is a very interesting and good question you bring up. There is more than just restore functionality that goes into the Flashback (and even more to come!), however, Flashback was built on top of our EEPROM Recovery technology we released somewhere in 2019 with initial M340i offerings. Even though we have not publicized it much, over the years this offering has saved countless of customers at the dealer, and was pretty much the first product we offered that was complimentary to both our own platform and competitors. Recently, there has been more and more talk about it on these boards with people giving their real-life dealer experiences after doing our restoration service so it might be good to read over those and see what they came out with (not flagged for warranty work, etc). Also, it's worth mentioning that inconsistent data is NOT a ground for denial and flag, however concrete detection is. Below, ill put the summarized flagging functionality as well as two extreme examples:
Functionality
During the initial scan, a function AG9999 known as 'Tuning Detection" reads the vehicle data and extracts info including "plug and play variante suspected ", "plug and play DTCs suspected", and "tuning DTCs detected". With 11 of such parameters (was 9 just few months ago), the tool decides to either mark that DME is "Suspected of Tampering" or not.

Example Customer A: Comes in for turbo replacement to a dealer. The initial scan is ran, detecting "Plug And Play variant", aka any piggyback. The flag is set off only internally (since PnP is a level 2 detection currently). Now that data is transmitted to BMW warranty sector that will take that into account when issuing warranty repair orders. Since PnP flag can be set off ONLY by having actual piggyback (ok resistor trick with basic board can set it off as well), the warranty is denied even though the car looks fully stock. Why? Well because this specific flash has only one trigger function, that takes into account acceleration! So if you accelerated much faster then stock (letes hope you did, otherwsie the piggy-back did not actually function) and function detected other key parameters, this will be set off. BMW will also have access to "blackbox" data that outlines what performance paramaters (new one added is RPM/s, or RPM acceleration rate) were taken into account. To summrazie, you are screwed.

Example Customer B: Comes in with an identical car setup and the same complaint. The scan is ran, and no Flags aside from small chance of "low-Ilevel" is triggered (also level2). At this point, by perfoming Flashback, you lowered your detection chances from Flash to Piggyback, as to say. Now, this is where it gets very interesting: Unlike "pnp detection" that has only 1 trigger point, "low-Ilevel" has MULTIPLE with no "logs" as to what set it off as to say. So BMW now has a huge burden of proof to state that you performed some monipulation OR you had the car repaired somewhere else aside from their authroized dealer network (which you have full right to).
  • You took the car to get repaired at an independent shop. During repair, the car failed update 1, 2 or 3 times causing "low-Ilevel" error to be triggered. Based on "Right To Repair", you the user have all the right to take your car outside of BMW Dealer, so you are all in the clear.
  • You updated your car yourself using esys or ista at which time it failed few times but finally succesfully finished. Technically speaking, you actually did NOT violate your warrnty agreement as no aftermarket accessories were installed, and software in the car is authrozed by BMW, though potential flag registered a false positive.

Just with that above, you minimized your flagging risk from pretty serious to barelly any. Now, we enter a 3rd and most interesting aspect: The way it sits, M-Link has ability of performing backup unlimited number of times on your vehicle. With our upcoming updates, Version Control will be relased, and part of functionality will be lowering above mentioned risks even more. This function will alllow you to backup and restore to specific Verson so you have no way to even set off "low-Ilevel". Flow/Scenario:
  1. Perform initial backup before any modification.
  2. Modify and enjoy your car.
  3. Before going to dealer for software update (or even OTA updates), restore your DME's image to the initial backup.
  4. Go to dealer, get updatd to new version and drive home (or do this in the field if you like infront of dealer).
  5. Perform another backup. Now you have mirror image of your DME, still never modfieid, but of the same iLevel as BMW thinks you have
  6. Retune with platform of your choice.
  7. Boom goes the turbo.
  8. Restore the LAST backed-up image of your DME and go to dealership.
  9. "low-Ilevel" will not be set since your FW level matches exactly to what you left dealer with.
So.. there goes my question for everyone.
I took my car into service, obviously I removed my piggyback. Service was done, when I get home I take a look at the invoice and at the bottom of the page it says, "be ware car is tuned" remark on the invoice (I visited service due to belt tensioner).
Is it safe to say I am fully flagged and I pretty much ****ed, because even if I backup my DME the values has been already tempered with and BMW has detected it and it is not in their system, so even if I go to different service they will see this.
      08-06-2023, 08:55 PM   #83
cilas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i (G29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNRW View Post
I hope these aren´t empty words like back in 2021 when you talked about the 06/2020+ unlocks...
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1834548
And for sure, on that video he only coded the 400hp to 560hp. Coding still been possible up to now. He should stop saying he can unlock newer DMEs, to sell his products giving hope to newer buyers wich will never unlock their DME. 2 years has passed and no m-link with 2021+ DME unlock capabilities has been seen.
So stop spread something you still don’t have MissionPerformance
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2023, 09:34 PM   #84
weinerbarn
Rep

I'm not understanding all of the hate on Mission for this. They made available a product for the average Joe that didn't exist or certainly not very attainable. This product is around $350-550 to do the same task as it would cost to go to a tuning shop or mail off per DME, per time. The N63 and S63 V8 engines have 2 DME's by the way. A lot of areas do not have local tuners that will do unlocks only without buying their tune such as Carbahn affiliated shops. Prior to this product your choices were to pay someone else as I stated above or buy the pro tool they use such as an Autotuner, Kess3 or Magic Motorsport among others. Guess what ... they all cost thousands for hardware plus subscriptions of thousands more per year. The autotuner is the only one that works offline and it's $5K.

You're correct, the M-Link doesn't unlock 2021+ DME's but neither do the $5K tools above. I know it sucks if you have a 2021+ car but this just opened the door for a lot of other folks that didn't have this option.
Appreciate 2
Vmaxx271.50
Yoleto3.00
      08-06-2023, 10:01 PM   #85
pdxdbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
I can’t seem to view the docs at this link M-Link wiki
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 10:24 PM   #86
cilas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i (G29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
I'm not understanding all of the hate on Mission for this. They made available a product for the average Joe that didn't exist or certainly not very attainable. This product is around $350-550 to do the same task as it would cost to go to a tuning shop or mail off per DME, per time. The N63 and S63 V8 engines have 2 DME's by the way. A lot of areas do not have local tuners that will do unlocks only without buying their tune such as Carbahn affiliated shops. Prior to this product your choices were to pay someone else as I stated above or buy the pro tool they use such as an Autotuner, Kess3 or Magic Motorsport among others. Guess what ... they all cost thousands for hardware plus subscriptions of thousands more per year. The autotuner is the only one that works offline and it's $5K.

You're correct, the M-Link doesn't unlock 2021+ DME's but neither do the $5K tools above. I know it sucks if you have a 2021+ car but this just opened the door for a lot of other folks that didn't have this option.
It’s not about hate. Your product seems great for pre 06/2020 DME. It’s about giving hope for something your product doesn’t do and probably never will.
When your product is ready to unlock 2021+ DMEs, than spread about it. If it already does, do a video showing the unlocking process and not a coding graphical Ui like your video years ago.
Don’t take me as a hater, but we are done of individuals sayings they can unlock 2021+ DME and nothing shows up on the market.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2023, 10:54 PM   #87
NightOwl-M340i
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Question!

If I femto unlock my 22 and buy this MP product will it work?

Can I use it to backup my dme so I can switch back to stock from the tune incase I wanna go in for service?

If bmw does an update on my car while its in service do I need another femto unlock or can I use the MP product to do a bench unlock and I’ll be able to switch back to my tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 11:02 PM   #88
weinerbarn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilas View Post
It’s not about hate. Your product seems great for pre 06/2020 DME. It’s about giving hope for something your product doesn’t do and probably never will.
When your product is ready to unlock 2021+ DMEs, than spread about it. If it already does, do a video showing the unlocking process and not a coding graphical Ui like your video years ago.
Don’t take me as a hater, but we are done of individuals sayings they can unlock 2021+ DME and nothing shows up on the market.
Your? Are you directing that at me or Mission? It’s not my product, nor am I affiliated with or compensated in any way by Mission. Almost every product comes out in stages of development or roadmap. Just because it doesn’t have 100% of the features or market coverage day 1, doesn’t mean this wasn’t a significant milestone. Please tell me who else has released a similar product that is actually shipping today. MHD? Not shipping yet and not sure when or final price, plus it looks like it may be locked to their tune only.
Appreciate 1
335i E92176.50