Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Problem resetting rear brake pad message on 21 3 series

06-12-2023, 10:00 AM   #1
kalel23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 3 Series

Problem resetting rear brake pad message on 21 3 series

Edit: Problem solved. You have to have the parking brake OFF and hold the BC button for an inordinate amount of time for the reset brake pop up to show. I believe you also have to have your foot on the brake.

I have a '21 3 series x drive and just had the rear pads and sensor replaced by a mechanic, however they could not reset the message that is coming up on the idrive screen saying they still need to be replaced or the red 'brake' light on the dash.

The mechanic said "it could be" that the fronts need to be replaced as well and that is why it won't let you reset but I'm skeptical. I hopped on YT and found a couple of videos going over the rather simple process of resetting the message however nothing worked.

e.g.

-Press the start button 3 times
-Hold the BC button on the left control down until Diagnostic Mode appears (it did)
-Keep holding until "reset rear brake pad appears" this did NOT appear, however I DID see this message appear when the mechanic was initially futzing with, but I have since been unable to get it to show. What shows instead is a different menu.

Thanks!

Last edited by kalel23; 08-15-2023 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
CSBM52756.00
      08-10-2023, 01:48 PM   #2
Nandohatesyou
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 MW M340i

Hey I've tried it multiple times but for what ever reason I'm still not showing the reset rear brakes after replacing all 4 plus the sensors.. any other ideas?
      08-15-2023, 08:02 AM   #3
kalel23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandohatesyou View Post
Hey I've tried it multiple times but for what ever reason I'm still not showing the reset rear brakes after replacing all 4 plus the sensors.. any other ideas?
So for me it was a combo of two things:

1. You have to hold the button way longer than you think, literally do the point that you think it's not working, then it will reset.

2. Make sure your foot is on the brake.

See if that helps.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2023, 08:22 AM   #4
Nandohatesyou
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 MW M340i

Thank you! I finally did it using BimmerLink and I had to have my car on w/no handbrake and it took me around 15 minutes still to figure this out lol.. cleared the codes and reset service and I was good as new!