Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Stock exhaust mods

01-21-2023, 09:41 PM   #1
aci4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i RWD

Stock exhaust mods

Hi All,

Is there any way to alter the change of the stock exhaust apart from getting a DP and doing the valve actuator plug mod?

Thank you so much for your time and help!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 10:40 PM   #2
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
I believe there is a Dahler module that allows you to open the valves more for a louder sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 10:53 AM   #3
aci4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLJ View Post
I believe there is a Dahler module that allows you to open the valves more for a louder sound.
Wouldn’t this result in the same sound output as disconnecting the valve after it opens?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 11:06 AM   #4
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by aci4 View Post
Wouldn’t this result in the same sound output as disconnecting the valve after it opens?
I don’t see how it’s possible for it to open up even more, I did the trick where you disconnect the cable from the tailpipe with sport plus activated and that valve is wide open.
Appreciate 1
aci439.50
      01-22-2023, 11:22 AM   #5
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Hi All,

Is there any way to alter the change of the stock exhaust apart from getting a DP and doing the valve actuator plug mod?

Thank you so much for your time and help!
Hmm if you don't want to do any physical changes (no DP or actuator plug mod) I think you are only left with software. Mission Performance has an exhaust tone/note only flash option.

Last edited by chenry; 01-22-2023 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
aci439.50
      01-22-2023, 11:44 AM   #6
aci4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Hmm if you don't want to do any physical changes (no DP or actuator plug mod) I think you are only left with software. Mission Performance has an exhaust tone/note only flash option.
I’m planning on getting the AA DP and I will do the actuator plug mod, but I’m wondering if there is anything else I can do instead of getting a brand new exhaust. I looked on the Mission Performance website and it only shows a flash tune?

Also, what is involved with a muffler delete? Would this result in a ton of droning?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 11:50 AM   #7
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m planning on getting the AA DP and I will do the actuator plug mod, but I’m wondering if there is anything else I can do instead of getting a brand new exhaust. I looked on the Mission Performance website and it only shows a flash tune?

Also, what is involved with a muffler delete? Would this result in a ton of droning?
The exhaust only flash is part of an upcoming release - if you call them they can help you with it. But at that point you might as well get some added HP and do the engine flash as well (however exhaust only I believe is much less expensive and engine can be added later if you want)

That aside I've read of a few people doing a muffler delete and most end up adding small resonators to keep the drone at bay. Keep in mind the M340 is dual straight piped from the DP back to the muffler. So if you were to eliminate the muffler you would be straight piped from the DP back.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much a DP (catted or not) wakes up the exhaust note on these cars.
Appreciate 2
aci439.50
rmedina119.00
      01-22-2023, 12:00 PM   #8
aci4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The exhaust only flash is part of an upcoming release - if you call them they can help you with it. But at that point you might as well get some added HP and do the engine flash as well (however exhaust only I believe is much less expensive and engine can be added later if you want)

That aside I've read of a few people doing a muffler delete and most end up adding small resonators to keep the drone at bay. Keep in mind the M340 is dual straight piped from the DP back to the muffler. So if you were to eliminate the muffler you would be straight piped from the DP back.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much a DP (catted or not) wakes up the exhaust note on these cars.
Hmm okay maybe i’ll just start off with the DP and see from there. I don’t want to regret it down the line lol
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #9
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm okay maybe i’ll just start off with the DP and see from there. I don’t want to regret it down the line lol
Yes if you are willing to do a DP - start there for sure. You'll get a little bump in performance and the sound will be intoxicating
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 07:02 PM   #10
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
No cause it doesn't open 100% as far as I can tell. It open maybe 80% of the way.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 10:31 PM   #11
aci4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes if you are willing to do a DP - start there for sure. You'll get a little bump in performance and the sound will be intoxicating
bro, ftta?
Appreciate 0