Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Android Auto via Wifi Direct = No internet connection??

01-10-2021, 02:33 PM   #1
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Android Auto via Wifi Direct = No internet connection??

I just installed the latest iDrive firmware upd and was excited to test out the Android Auto on my Galaxy S10 phone. But I'm having a critical problem. The connection to android auto requires a wifi direct connection between the car and my phone. As a result, there is no longer an internet connection to outside networks using my phone. Surely this can't be by design? When I try to use Android Assistance/Calendar/Weather I get no internet connection prompts and my Spotify will only play offline content. Am I missing something here... i did a basic amount of internet searching before making this post out of frustration.

I found online someone with apple carplay has the exact same problem with no resolution:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8562181
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

You need to enable mobile data while in WiFi - use this guide.
https://userguide.vodafone.co.nz/sam...ata-on-or-off/
Appreciate 1
Giggler408.00
      01-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
Giggler
Banned
Rep

Update: I did get it working but not 100% sure how I did it. This is what I did:

1. A Samsung Specific step is to enable intelligent and outlined in the video link:

2. Delete your phone from iDrive through the settings menu and reconnect/reconfigure your phone with the new intelligent wifi settign enabled.

I found that intelligent wifi didn't work until after I deleted and then reconfigured my phone's connection to iDrive. That seems to be at the heart of the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostNixon View Post
You need to enable mobile data while in WiFi - use this guide.
https://userguide.vodafone.co.nz/sam...ata-on-or-off/
To add, also check network exceptions, to see if car wifi is listed there, hence blocking conx
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #5
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I messed around with it after my download and my phone just would not connect (Samsung S10 aslo). I will give above a try and report back.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #6
psycosis
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I had the same problem with iPhone and Carplay and found the solution. The solve was to remove the car from the auto connect to wifi option. On the iPhone wifi direct and wifi are two separate things. It would automatically do wifi direct after Carplay was setup. The phone would then connect regular wifi to the car causing the same data issue. As soon as I removed the car from the wifi auto connect, wifi direct would continue to work with Carplay but regular wifi would not connect. Data would work over the cell network as expected.

Hopefully the same will work on Android.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:18 AM   #7
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycosis View Post
I had the same problem with iPhone and Carplay and found the solution. The solve was to remove the car from the auto connect to wifi option. On the iPhone wifi direct and wifi are two separate things. It would automatically do wifi direct after Carplay was setup. The phone would then connect regular wifi to the car causing the same data issue. As soon as I removed the car from the wifi auto connect, wifi direct would continue to work with Carplay but regular wifi would not connect. Data would work over the cell network as expected.

Hopefully the same will work on Android.
CarPlay is bluetooth only, so you can disable car wifi and have no issue, problem is that Android Auto is that it works over wifi 5ghz, because it uses more bandwidth than carplay, so for AA you need to enable "mobile data over wifi" from settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:33 PM   #8
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

Quote:
CarPlay is bluetooth only, so you can disable car wifi and have no issue, problem is that Android Auto is that it works over wifi 5ghz, because it uses more bandwidth than carplay, so for AA you need to enable "mobile data over wifi" from settings.
Carplay is WiFi too. Try turning WiFi off on your phone when carplay is connected.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:21 AM   #9
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ah really, never tried that so far, but I knew that I had to turn on data over wifi on android explicitly, guess iphone is just a bit smarter and does that by default when carplay is on.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #10
Giggler
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ah really, never tried that so far, but I knew that I had to turn on data over wifi on android explicitly, guess iphone is just a bit smarter and does that by default when carplay is on.
Yes, Samsung devices always seem to require an extra step and perhaps a bit more technical knowhow. For me, I was not having any luck even after changing the settings until i removed the phone from iDrive and then added my phone again. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:37 AM   #11
merlin99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

I have an s10 aswell , I have up deleted android auto and stuck to bluetooth , also prefer the maps with my head's up display , only issue is trying in postcodes is so much easier on a phone. Will find a way around
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:32 PM   #12
psycosis
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
This is not true. Both use wifi. Carplay uses Wifi Direct which iOS separates from standard Wifi. Standard Wifi overrides mobile data. Wifi Direct does not. What caused the problem for me is the phone was connecting to the car via Wifi and Wifi Direct. As soon as I told the phone not to auto-connect to the car, standard Wifi would no longer connect and allowed mobile data to work. Wifi Direct would continue to connect for Carplay and everything started working as expected.

If this is different on Android, then I am no help. Just wanted to share what worked for me when I had a similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #13
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

For Android users, this is fixed on Android 11 for all phones, even though a limited amount of phones have fixed it under Android 10 (Samsung ones should be included). If your phone doesn't support it natively, the trick I use is, when your phone connects to Android Auto, a message will popup telling you there is no internet connection over wifi, and to switch back to mobile data. Just simply dismiss that message (don't choose any option). Your phone will remain connected to the car's wifi but keep using your SIM for internet.
Appreciate 0