Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Max AC doesn't work in the cold

01-23-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Max AC doesn't work in the cold

Hey guys

I just noticed an issue with my car today.

I tried using the Max AC button and it refused to turn on. It was very warm inside the car because I had the car running (remote start) for around 15 minutes and I forgot to take my jacket off (outside temp was 30°F). I drove for around 15 minutes and then tried turning Max AC on (AC was on and set to 70°F and it was working fine but I wanted it to be cold since the sun was shining and it was hot inside) using the button. It simply would not work. The light on top of the button didn't turn on and temps stayed at 70 (usually goes to LO when I press the button). I tried pressing it around 10 times and no luck. I also waited till I got home to see if it would work. But nope. Same issue.

My doubt is. Does the Max AC option not work when the outside temp is low (30°F)? Or did it just stop working in my car? I did try it a few days back and noticed that I had to press the button a few times before it turned on. I thought I might not have pressed the button properly the first time and pressed again to make sure it turned on (I don't remember the outside temperature then but I think it was 40°F?). Today, that did not work either.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Regards,
Vipin
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Max AC turns on the cooling only above certain temps, so in winter it does nothing. In my case it either blows cold air when the car is cold or when the car is worm doesn't work...
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      01-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Hey guys

I just noticed an issue with my car today.

I tried using the Max AC button and it refused to turn on. It was very warm inside the car because I had the car running (remote start) for around 15 minutes and I forgot to take my jacket off (outside temp was 30°F). I drove for around 15 minutes and then tried turning Max AC on (AC was on and set to 70°F and it was working fine but I wanted it to be cold since the sun was shining and it was hot inside) using the button. It simply would not work. The light on top of the button didn't turn on and temps stayed at 70 (usually goes to LO when I press the button). I tried pressing it around 10 times and no luck. I also waited till I got home to see if it would work. But nope. Same issue.

My doubt is. Does the Max AC option not work when the outside temp is low (30°F)? Or did it just stop working in my car? I did try it a few days back and noticed that I had to press the button a few times before it turned on. I thought I might not have pressed the button properly the first time and pressed again to make sure it turned on (I don't remember the outside temperature then but I think it was 40°F?). Today, that did not work either.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Regards,
Vipin
The clue is in the outside temperature. AC can't work at that low a temperature. Would freeze up, so AC function is typically switched off automatically.

Not sure what the exact temperature is for your model. From an older User Manual for the MAX function...

Quote:
With the engine running this program provides maximum cooling at outside temperatures above approx. 41° F (5° C).
What I ask, does the car cool if you simply lower the temperature a few degrees?
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      01-23-2021, 07:31 PM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostNixon View Post
Max AC turns on the cooling only above certain temps, so in winter it does nothing. In my case it either blows cold air when the car is cold or when the car is worm doesn't work...
I assume that was it. Just couldn't find it in the owners manual in the iDrive. Thank you for clearing that up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The clue is in the outside temperature. AC can't work at that low a temperature. Would freeze up, so AC function is typically switched off automatically.

Not sure what the exact temperature is for your model. From an older User Manual for the MAX function...

What I ask, does the car cool if you simply lower the temperature a few degrees?
I believe it does. Today, with the temp at 73°F, it was blowing hot air. When I tried the max cool button, it didn't lower the temps. So I used the cool arrow button to lower it to 64°F and I did feel it blowing cold air (it was pretty warm inside). Which is why I thought the max cool option stopped working!
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0