Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Remote Start Possible in UK ?

12-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
Digzz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Remote Start Possible in UK ?

Has anyone worked out if it's Possible to do remote start in the UK ?

I know it's standard outside of Europe but wondering if anyone has got it to work in the UK ?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

You can sort of do it with the 330e, ie start the heaters etc
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #3
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Might be possible with a petrol engine but you'll need an FSC and to do some coding.

Diesel doesn't seem to be supported at all
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
Digzz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Might be possible with a petrol engine but you'll need an FSC and to do some coding.

Diesel doesn't seem to be supported at all
What's a FSC ?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

I didn't think it was legal in the uk to have a vehicle running whilst unattended? I'm sure TouringPleb will be along soon with the definitive answer.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

FSC is a paid for enabling code issued by BMW for some features such as HBA, remote start, etc.

Pretty sure it's still illegal to 'quit' a vehicle on a public road, but not on private land/garage, which is why some other manufacturers allow remote start in the U.K. apparently.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

I’m not sure of the legalities but I had remote start on my Jag before I switched to BMW. It is probably the feature I miss most.
In the winter I started the car on my drive to warm up and summer to cool down. If you didn’t have the key on you, everything would shut down if you got in to the car and tried to drive away. With the key however, as soon as you touched the brake, the gear selector would rise up and the rest of the car would come online - very impressive.
I never used remote start on public roads, only on driveways and at my office car park. Hopefully one day BMW will come around and enable it in the UK as it is available in the USA. You never know, they may even allow speed cams on their sat nav.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #8
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by machman767 View Post
I didn't think it was legal in the uk to have a vehicle running whilst unattended? I'm sure TouringPleb will be along soon with the definitive answer.
Spot on.

The offence is called Quitting and is basically leaving your car running with no one in it who could take control of it. Something delivery drivers do all the time and then wonder when some shit nicks their van with all the parcels on!

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ation/107/made
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2020, 03:06 AM   #9
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e, Morgan Plus 4

Yes You Have Got IT in UK

Had it in my Jag that I've just swapped for a new 330e.

Assuming the package is enabled in the car (mine was as part of the build). You download the apps for your smart phone set up the connection and away you go. In fact for 330e it saves fuel because it uses the mains electric to pre-heat if its plugged in. But in any case it uses the big battery rather than running the engine.

You have the pay for the package that updates over the air - https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk on the store page if you log in with your account and car VIN.

It is fully legal in the UK - BUT you are responsible for ensuring starting the car (my Jag was just plain petrol so the engine started) is safe.

Also, (obviously!?) the car remains locked so is secure.

Hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 03:45 AM   #10
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes You Have Got IT in UK

I should have said "I think it must be legal" rather than "it is legal" .

Surely, Jag BMW and other manufacturers would only be allowed it to be enabled if it was legal for UK registered car??
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 04:30 AM   #11
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglewey View Post

Surely, Jag BMW and other manufacturers would only be allowed it to be enabled if it was legal for UK registered car??
BMW don't allow it in the U.K, that's the point?

It's established that it's illegal to start the engine on a public road, either without a driver present, or if the driver 'quits'. The latter scenario being the one that the legislation was written for.

They would need to either 'trust' the owner to only activate it on a private road, or ensure that the car cannot be driven/moved with remote start active, and was only used for heating/cooling the car.

This is an example of where old regional legislation hasn't caught up with modern car tech, and the manufacturer has to lock features geographically.

I do think it's possible to activate in the U.K. on BMW car models that are supported, if one knows how to do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 04:32 AM   #12
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:

The legislation involved comes under the Road Traffic Act.

This covers anywhere the public are entitled to drive a motor vehicle. It doesn't cover private property so the offence of quitting (ie leaving your car warming up) wouldn't exist on a private road or drive.

You would however have awkward questions from your insurance company should your car get nicked whilst doing this!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 06:28 AM   #13
chrisnoy
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2020

Strange then, that Volvo have been allowing this in the UK for years?
There is a disclaimer and lots of legal stuff but if you tick OK, you are away.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #14
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnoy View Post
Strange then, that Volvo have been allowing this in the UK for years?
There is a disclaimer and lots of legal stuff but if you tick OK, you are away.
I was about to post this as I was surprised when I found this feature on the xc40 I bought earlier in the year. Heard it was only on petrol engines but don’t know this for sure however with petrol cars warming up quicker than diesel you’d think it would have been designed the opposite way around
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:24 AM   #15
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

My XC60 never had it. That was a 2016 model.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #16
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Legal Or Not

Extract from the act....

(2) The requirement specified in paragraph (1) as to the stopping of the engine shall not apply in respect of a vehicle—

(a)being used for ambulance, fire brigade or police purposes; or
(b)in such a position and condition as not to be likely to endanger any person or property and engaged in an operation which requires its engine to be used to—
(i)drive machinery forming part of, or mounted on, the vehicle and used for purposes other than driving the vehicle; or etc etc

I would say that whilst pre-heating a car is not essential it complies with (b) if you make sure its safe and the heater come under the allowance in (i). I will admit that this law probably needs to catch up with modern technology. There is nothing about being on private property...

I would also note that you can set a departure time from within the cars menu to pre-condition. In many other parts of the manual there are dire warnings in breakout boxes about hazards and safety etc but nothing limiting the use of timed or remote pre-condition.

Lastly, I guess if designed like the 330e the ICE engine doesn't actually start nor the dash work etc so is it legally running as the ignition is not as if it was put on?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #17
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry to dispute some of the above posts but I have a 3 month old 330e and as supplied from a main UK BMW dealer (ie no bimmercodes or funny stuff) it was activated as part of the included remote package - so for a standard UK supplied BMW it most definitely IS available - I use it (responsibly) a lot. Pre-warming the car while on charge uses mains electricity so preserves battery range....
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 12:19 PM   #18
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to dispute some of the above posts but I have a 3 month old 330e and as supplied from a main UK BMW dealer (ie no bimmercodes or funny stuff) it was activated as part of the included remote package - so for a standard UK supplied BMW it most definitely IS available - I use it (responsibly) a lot. Pre-warming the car while on charge uses mains electricity so preserves battery range....
Good to know it's now available.

Can you check you VIN and Vehicle Order - see if 1CR is listed in your options?

mdecoder will do the trick if you don't have the VO available.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #19
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

330e is pre heating of an electric hybrid. Not remote start of an ICE.

USA have remote start of ICE. Jaguar cars in the U.K. have remote start of ICE. BMW In the U.K. do not.... If I want to defrost my car on a winter morning I have to go out to the car, start the engine, then lock the car. Why can’t we do this remotely as per USA ...that is the question?

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 01:02 PM   #20
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Quote:

330e is pre heating of an electric hybrid. Not remote start of an ICE.

USA have remote start of ICE. Jaguar cars in the U.K. have remote start of ICE. BMW In the U.K. do not.... that is the question?
That's why I asked for confirmation of VO
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 01:13 PM   #21
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If I want to defrost my car on a winter morning I have to go out to the car, start the engine, then lock the car. Why can't we do this remotely as per USA ...that is the question?
Only BMW can answer that. My guess is regulations, whether EU or U.K.

I'm not agreeing it's a good reason, just what I would expect BMW position to be.

I'm certain I could get it working on a petrol engine, but it's not supported on diesel cars like my own.

Speculating that this isn't a technical reason, but simply that BMW don't support ICE Remote Start in regions other than those that are petrol only, like the US.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #22
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Quote:
If I want to defrost my car on a winter morning I have to go out to the car, start the engine, then lock the car. Why can't we do this remotely as per USA ...that is the question?
Only BMW can answer that. My guess is regulations, whether EU or U.K.

I'm not agreeing it's a good reason, just what I would expect BMW position to be.

I'm certain I could get it working on a petrol engine, but it's not supported on diesel cars like my own.

Speculating that this isn't a technical reason, but simply that BMW don't support ICE Remote Start in regions other than those that are petrol only, like the US.
Also worth noting that your insurance won't cover you if it's knicked.

It would take less than 10 seconds for someone to smash the window, unlock the door and drive off
Appreciate 0